All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Why do they do it?

jonf

I was sat eating my lunch yesterday, and one of my colleagues was reading the paper, The i, I think. In it was an advert, a full page colour one, promoting the US as a tourist destination. The image used was of a guy sat on some steps playing a tenor. It was shown as a mirror image, so laterally inverted. So someone took a photo, and a berk in an ad agency decided it would look better the other way round. Presumably they thought it would look better. Why? All it says to me is fakery and smoke and mirrors. I wonder if that's the impression they wanted to give?

saxplorer

they don't have a clue, do they? Still, it's nice to know that the sax is still an icon for coolness ..... >:)

old git

Tremendous Bore
Possibly caused by all the various photo processing applications and the digital camera.

Back in the days when I was a reprographer/industrial photographer, yes, young Vickie had just grabbed the throne, we had to be aware of lats, which side of the of the support the image was on and keeping everything as near to the first generation of the image as possible for maximum quality. Now they tell us that there is no deterioration in digital image quality whatever you do.

Bring back Giovanni Antonio Canal.

BigMartin

Doctor Johnson was asked why he'd defined a fetlock as a horse's knee in his Dictionary. His reply:

"Ignorance, madam. Sheer ignorance".

A slightly more subtle one is the number of movies where two people are thouroughly engrossed in a game of chess, and presumably supposed to be good at it. But they've got the board the wrong way round. (Should be a white square at the bottom right). It would drive a real chess player nuts (as if they (we) weren't already...)

altissimo

I've often seen photos of saxes used in adverts to give the product some 'coolness' and the mouthpiece is on upside down..
Even in the old days they used to get the negative inverted, there's a pic of John McLaughlin on the back of a Mahavishnu Orchestra album where he's shown playing left handed and I've seen similar things with all kinds of other products.
If you're rushing to meet a deadline and the art editor's breathing down your neck telling you what to do, then anything goes.. do what you're told without any argument or get sacked..
There are websites gleefully compiling photoshop mistakes - boats on the ocean with no reflection, models with one leg longer than the other, people's faces removed from crowd scenes but their feet are still there etc

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Even in the old days they used to get the negative inverted, there's a pic of John McLaughlin on the back of a Mahavishnu Orchestra album where he's shown playing left handed and I've seen similar things with all kinds of other products.
No they used to make Mclaughlin play left handed so that the album would last longer. Inner Mountain Flame only lasted 7'30 when he played right handed. True, honest.

old git

Tremendous Bore
That raises the question of how does Lisa operate the left table and the octave key with only three fingers per hand? :headscratch:

dubrosa22

Particularly annoying when it's a book about a somewhat famous sax player...

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I've often seen photos of saxes used in adverts to give the product some 'coolness' and the mouthpiece is on upside down..
I often play with my mouthpiece upside down to look cool. And it gives you hallucinations too.

That raises the question of how does Lisa operate the left table and the octave key with only three fingers per hand?
Se has a modified horn. That's why she plays a low Bb bari instead of low A

RedBottom

Actually, if it had been a pic of my tenor then it would have looked a bit the wrong way round because all the bell pads are on the left (i.e. the 'inside'). But then it's a 1934 sax, and that's the only bit that's back to front.

I did once see a pic in local rag from some sort of fete. They had a few kids posing with a dixieland jazz band, holding the instruments and pretending to play them. The clarinettist had very sensibly put a mouthpiece cap onto his instrument before the kid put it anywhere near his mouth, but the caption nevertheless said something along the lines of the kids having fun 'playing' the instruments.

Back to the original post, though, I do a bit of graphic design for my concert band - ads, flyers, programmes, that sort of thing. Sometimes you do have to flip pictures to get the balance right on the page, but I wouldn't dare do it with an instrument pic. Fifty-odd musicians would skin me alive if I did that. :shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Famous?

Who is Coltrane Ben Ratliff?

Something to do with Al howeveryouspellit?

Top Bottom