support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner why do i get so wet when i

1954pip

Locality
linc's (between boston & spalding
hi still trying to play my alto ,but there's always a but why do i get a lot of saliva when i play i seem get very wet , is that normal does it get better only i realy don't like the thought of it, i have started washing the reeds after i play for about 2 hours .

Different people have different experiences of this!

Without wishing to sound daft, I think I swallow a lot between phrases (certainly if there's beer)!
Playing in a warmer room might help too, since if your sax is cold just blowing down it will cause condensation. Most saxes leak a bit from the top Eb pad, is that what you mean?

Nick

Are you sure it's saliva and not condensation. My 66RUL leaks around the A and B keys after 30/40 minutes playing especially since I've been using subtone by injecting warmer air from deeper down. I guess it's an occupational hazard.

I'm afraid it's something we all suffer from, but to varying degrees. In the desert, people put a stone in their mouth to promote saliva.
This is probably the same efect.

John.

Concur with above, should decrease as you get better, i also find some days i have more thans others.

It does get a bit better, though.
I also leak (Yani 901) and make an effort to swallow wherever possible.
My teacher suggested cleaning my teeth befor playing - something about it reduces the amount of saliva you produce.
I haven't tried it; but the saliva production has improved over time

thanks to all who replied

hi all i would just like to thank every one who answered to my post great to know it will get better ,it just a bit rough having it dripping and a bit of annoyance.
i also get a drip from the mouth piece to cork joint on the cork there are a couple of holes where the black bits have come out they are only small, would it be an easy job to replace myself or is it best left alone ?

Dripping is an occupational hazard for most wind players. If you tire of dripping on yourself, take up the flute. With good management you can then drip on the person next to you!

Like so:

flute.jpg

lol

There's always the bassoon, it's a standing joke that you don't play close to the bassoonists - cos they pull the crook out and blow the moisture away...

As far as I can see you do need moisture to produce sound - saliva production is much worse when playing brass instruments - hence there are two water keys on most instruments, and the general advice is only to play with a wet mouth if you want a good sound (otherwise you cannot make full use of your embouchure - just like engines need oil) so I will be drinking water before and during playing, and always have a tea towel or similar on the floor below to catch moisture when I open a water key.

I did notice that my production of saliva was much greater when I started playing sax, but also now properly wet my reeds beforehand, and may therefore need to produce less of my own.

I would conclude that moisture is key to a good sound, and not primarily an occupational hazard.

Kind regards
Tom

hi all i would just like to thank every one who answered to my post great to know it will get better ,it just a bit rough having it dripping and a bit of annoyance.
i also get a drip from the mouth piece to cork joint on the cork there are a couple of holes where the black bits have come out they are only small, would it be an easy job to replace myself or is it best left alone ?

Easy enough but get good quality cork. See Stephen Howard's site and/or repair manual.

I guess the peg on the music stand is to hang the music on the washing line after playing, when you've dripped all over it as you swing around a little....

'Twas a tad breezy. Besides, Welsh trumpet players (even if he did migrate here in about the first year of his life) are mroe absorbent.