support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner why do i get so wet when i

1954pip

hi still trying to play my alto ,but there's always a but why do i get a lot of saliva when i play i seem get very wet , is that normal does it get better only i realy don't like the thought of it, i have started washing the reeds after i play for about 2 hours .

Different people have different experiences of this!

Without wishing to sound daft, I think I swallow a lot between phrases (certainly if there's beer)!
Playing in a warmer room might help too, since if your sax is cold just blowing down it will cause condensation. Most saxes leak a bit from the top Eb pad, is that what you mean?

Nick

Are you sure it's saliva and not condensation. My 66RUL leaks around the A and B keys after 30/40 minutes playing especially since I've been using subtone by injecting warmer air from deeper down. I guess it's an occupational hazard.

It does get a bit better, though.
I also leak (Yani 901) and make an effort to swallow wherever possible.
My teacher suggested cleaning my teeth befor playing - something about it reduces the amount of saliva you produce.
I haven't tried it; but the saliva production has improved over time

thanks to all who replied

hi all i would just like to thank every one who answered to my post great to know it will get better ,it just a bit rough having it dripping and a bit of annoyance.
i also get a drip from the mouth piece to cork joint on the cork there are a couple of holes where the black bits have come out they are only small, would it be an easy job to replace myself or is it best left alone ?

Like so:

flute.jpg

As far as I can see you do need moisture to produce sound - saliva production is much worse when playing brass instruments - hence there are two water keys on most instruments, and the general advice is only to play with a wet mouth if you want a good sound (otherwise you cannot make full use of your embouchure - just like engines need oil) so I will be drinking water before and during playing, and always have a tea towel or similar on the floor below to catch moisture when I open a water key.

I did notice that my production of saliva was much greater when I started playing sax, but also now properly wet my reeds beforehand, and may therefore need to produce less of my own.

I would conclude that moisture is key to a good sound, and not primarily an occupational hazard.

Kind regards
Tom

hi all i would just like to thank every one who answered to my post great to know it will get better ,it just a bit rough having it dripping and a bit of annoyance.
i also get a drip from the mouth piece to cork joint on the cork there are a couple of holes where the black bits have come out they are only small, would it be an easy job to replace myself or is it best left alone ?

Easy enough but get good quality cork. See Stephen Howard's site and/or repair manual.