SYOS

Why did you take up the sax.

BUMNOTE

Just wondering people what made you take up the sax,apart from the amazing sound some people can get and it being a cool instrument.Was it your intention to play at home for fun,as a hobby,or join a band,or take grades.My attraction was firstly the sound,then wanting to play in a band,but I have taken some grades as well.At the moment finding it hard to keep motivated,playing at home,have tried to find bands to join,but a website I look on seems everyone wants ,drums,guitars to thrash music out on,rarely sax.So if you don't want to play in bands or take grades,how are you keeping motivated.Thanks Bumnote.

jonf

I took up the sax 36 years ago aged 15. I was a reasonable clarinetist by that time, studying for grade 8, but getting a bit bored with formulaic study for grades. I was very into music generally, and I really wanted to be able to play the instrument I heard in stuff I was listening to. I play every day, and although I've played in a number of bands over the years I haven't done so for a while. I just love playing the sax, and it's an antidote to my stressful and time consuming job.

jbtsax

Subscriber
My cousin was learning to play the alto sax in the band at elementary school. One day while at his house I saw his sax laying on the bed, and I asked him if I could try it. Within minutes I was playing songs by ear and I was "hooked" from that moment on.

My suggestion to keep from getting bored is to play along with groups in Smart Music. I do this all the time and love it.

nickh

Used to play banjo but suddenly got into jazz :eek:
As I wasn't Bela Fleck i thought i needed to play a 'proper' proper jazz instrument.
Despite the steep learning curve!
Saxophone appealed for the sound and also that i could eventually play with others too.

My motivation has been love of the music and from meeting people on the cafe. Especially @Jeanette who i'm grateful to for twisting my arm to join the cafe trio/septet! She did it again recently; just got back from my first time playing with a wind band :D .

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I play classical music on the bassoon and I wanted to play jazz. My teacher lent me a beat-up old C-Melody sax to try and I was hooked. I didn't expect to play with anyone else for a year or two, but my goals were to play in a big band and in a small saxophone ensemble. I've joined a big band which practices weekly, and my sax teacher organises an occasional small group - mainly playing classical.

Chilli

Barista
I started violin at 6 and was very much into classical music by then. I discovered Sidney Bechet the next year and fell in love with jazz (it quickly broadened to Getz and Mulligan and Grappelli, of course). For some reason, I understood than jazz violin was not easy at all and decided it would be best to keep the violin for classical and learn the sax for jazz. Unfortunately, jazz was definitely not in the cursus at the small conservatoire I went to (except for the big band) and I quit when my teacher started making me play contemporary music with multiphonics and other ugly stuff (basically what happens to every sax student here, after 5 or 6 years). I quit the big band when my former teacher became the bandleader (yes, I'm like that) and violin a few months later due to lack of time and just being a teenager.
I took the sax up again in 2012, having resumed to listening to a lot of jazz and now, being an adult, have the great luxury of choosing what I play :)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
My motivation has been love of the music and from meeting people on the cafe. Especially @Jeanette who i'm grateful to for twisting my arm to join the cafe trio/septet! She did it again recently; just got back from my first time playing with a wind band :D .
It wasn't much arm twisting and I'm sorry I let you down today, pleased you enjoyed it though :)

Jx

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
I took it up because every time I heard it play, I just wanted to play it, not just listen. I wanted to learn it and express myself through it too.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
It went like this:

I want a hobby
I want to learn an instrument
I want to learn soprano sax

No more thought than that, buying a sax has taken me on a wonderful journey of learning something new, meeting some wonderful people and at times a sense of accomplishment.

My advice to anyone starting out, keep an open mind and avail yourself of every opportunity that you come across :)

Jx

OP
B

BUMNOTE

Thanks for above replies,will try smart music,think sometimes get bit less motivated when playing in my bedroom/musicroom,maybe need to be more focussed on my practice somehow.Bumnote.

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
This Café community is what really motivates me along with my continued enjoyment of the music that originally inspired me. I can't have lessons at the moment and I severely miss them. The acoustics in the bedroom are not great but I want to pick up my sax every day and I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Thanks for above replies,will try smart music,think sometimes get bit less motivated when playing in my bedroom/musicroom,maybe need to be more focussed on my practice somehow.Bumnote.
Commit to one of the recording threads, I've really enjoyed the ones I have done and they gave me added motivation when participating :)

Jx

ac30kev

Too old for a six-pack, it's now a sax-pack
Why?
Because they're damned sexy.

er, that's it really.

I love the mechanical intricacies of this impossibly complex machine and the (sometimes) fine notes I can get out of it; the sense of accomplishment when I learn a new tune and the relaxing feeling of playing an old but well loved one.
Like Alice, I get feelings of withdrawal if I miss playing for a few days, which unfortunately I have had to recently.
If I didn't play one, I'd have mounted one on the wall because they are great to look at and admire.

Tiberius

I liked the Pink Panther music. As for what I'm doing with it. I play in my lounge mostly. Usually alone, sometimes with my teacher Saturday morning. Other than family, you guys on here are the only people who have had the misfortune of hearing me play :)

In the summer, occasionally I play in the courtyard or the stables, but never away from this place. I doubt I'll ever be good enough to play in a band and tbh I don't reeli have the time to commit to one even on the off-chance that I did get good enough.

Like my painting (my Avatar is a self portrait), it's just something I do for fun...me time for want of a better word.

I know very little about music, didn't do any at school etc. But then I know nothing about painting either :) Actually, the only thing I have 'formal' training in is to be a Marine Biologist...and I've never done that either :)

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
45 years ago I liked the noise that the likes of Elton Dean and John Surman were making. I still do.
Playing with other people is what keeps me going. It's tedious on your own.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
The rest or the family were playing instruments, decided I'd learn so I could play with them. I don't play with them, they're way ahead of me, but I have fun, anyway.

Bernice

I played clarinet first along with 20 others in my year group at school and many more in the years above. Grabbing the school tenor saved me from 3rd clarinet until the end of time and I've never looked back. The clarinet didn't see the light of day for years after school and now only really comes out when it's needed for doubling.

ellinas

multiinstrumentalist here. Classically trained (piano).
I'm passioned with instruments that have really strong character and need that extra effort to master.
the saxophone is my biggest challenge. Easy to start, a long long way to master.....

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Subscriber
At college I had a recurring dream about saxophones, night after night. Shortly after, a friend who I was teaching to

play the guitar, said he had a sax he didn't know what to do with. Go on you can have it it's only made of plastic.

I loved my Grafton until it fell apart. That was 1976 and I got my second in 2000

Last edited:
Top Bottom