All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs who's refacing ...?

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Since Morgan Fry's closed up shop does anyone know of any good refacers on this side of the pond?

OP
Jules

Jules

It appears my grasp of the bleedin' obvious is playing up at the moment... thanks folks. Has anyone here got direct experience of either's work?

Morph

A number of friends have piece's made by Ed and all sound great. I have one too, and it's very nice mouthpiece. I personally wouldn't hesitate to use him for refacing.

Ed is an ex-professional clarinetist, with a PHD in acoustics, many many years of experience, his prices are very reasonable and is a lovely man...otherwise, nothing to recommend him!!

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
It appears my grasp of the bleedin' obvious is playing up at the moment... thanks folks. Has anyone here got direct experience of either's work?
Er...he makes PPTs

His work and his customer service is impeccable.

(There used to be more in the UK, Bill Wrathall, Freddie Gregory and Joe Walton spring to mind)

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Has anyone here got direct experience of either's work?
Ed Pillinger refaced a Selmer Soloist for me, and it's my #1 alto mouthpiece. I also have a PPT as my main soprano mouthpiece.

Phil refaced an Otto Link tenor mouthpiece for me. He did a good job, but warned me in advance that it wouldn't end up as good as one of his own pieces, and he was right. I now have a Phil-tone mouthpiece which is better.

Both gents are excellent to deal with.

If you are going to ask Phil to do some refacing for you, I would advise getting it done before the end of the year, because nobody knows what the customs arrangements will be between the UK and France after December.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
because nobody knows what the customs arrangements will be between the UK and France after December.
I can't say for sure, but it would hopefully be fine even if no EU deal, except some extra customs paperwork to ensure when the refaced mouthpiece is returned it does not incur VAT. (ie easiest might be to class it as a repair)

But still worth doing before that happens IMO.

rhysonsax

Er...he makes PPTs

(There used to be more in the UK, Bill Wrathall, Freddie Gregory and Joe Walton spring to mind)
And Prof. Anton Weinberg at Dawkes and Morgan Fry and Lawrie Waldron, none of whom are doing refacing work now as far as I know.

I've had mouthpiece refacing / adjustment jobs done by all of those except Joe Walton and they all did really good work.

I would certainly recommend Ed Pillinger and @Phil for mouthpiece adjustments.

Rhys

OP
Jules

Jules

Er...he makes PPTs

I'm not saying this in any way to question the quality of work but- in my limited experience- different refacers seem to have somewhat different philosophies of what they do. For instance- Morgan Fry seemed principally concerned with facing curve and also, pieces he worked always seemed slightly brighter after his fine tuning. Joe Guardillo - who just done some fantastic work on my soprano piece- well, to be honest I'm completely blown away by how well my humble BARI plays now but I do get the feeling its different from the feel I'd have got if Morgan had done it.

OP
Jules

Jules

I can't say for sure, but it would hopefully be fine even if no EU deal, except some extra customs paperwork to ensure when the refaced mouthpiece is returned it does not incur VAT. (ie easiest might be to class it as a repair)

But still worth doing before that happens IMO.
Classing things as repairs doesn't necessarily get round this. We once got hit for taxes receiving a sax back for repair from the Channel islands. Also- as with band merch- it looks like a there's a chance of a 'pay now and reclaim it at the end of the year' system.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Classing things as repairs doesn't necessarily get round this. We once got hit for taxes receiving a sax back for repair from the Channel islands.
maybe I was wrong then.

But there are some important red tape hoops to jump through. The repairer must mark the returned package appropriately. I have found to my detriment that as well as marking the customs form:

OPR STATUS GOODS", REPAIRED AND RETURNING TO UK

They should also write that in huge red letters on the package, especially if it arrives at the Fedex depot in Fareham on a Friday afternoon.

If they miss seeing it on the customs form you get slapped with the VAT plus the processing fee. You can reclaim the VAT eventually but unlikely to ever get the Fedex processing fee back.

Phil

Commercial Supporter
Thanks guys.

And yes, a lot of reface guys focus exclusively on a facing curve. In one respect thats perfectly reasonable. On the other hand there is something to be said for some one who actually makes and designs pieces doing refacing. In addition to facing curves you get to work with someone who understands and implements chamber and throat adjustments. In the end you can wind up with a much more dialed in and evenly responding piece.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Phil doesn't need this, but as it happens I have been struggling to find my voice lately on alto and yesterday the only mouthpiece that sounded right was the one Phil refaced for me. A Berg Larsen I got cheap that sounded ok but missed something... He fixed it perfectly.

Then today I switched back to tenor and finished my session trying my recently acquired Fiberreed Onyx M with the Brilhard Tonalin that Phil fixed for me. Another winner. That one had been butchered to a crazy opening and again brilliantly salvaged by Phil.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom