• Not yet

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Not until it runs windoz

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Wotz an iPad?

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Chris98

I'm waiting for Apple to produce a Mac Pro lite, I think the Mac Pro is great but who honestly needs all that power or can afford it? And yet the iMac has severe limitations with storage. Hopefully they will see the light and produce a Mac Pro Lite with similar specs to the iMac (i7) that can also take four HDD and expansion slots, yeah I don't think it's going to happen either. I'll have to wait until the iMac has USB 3 and hope they've not dropped FireWire by then as I'd have a problem connecting my audio interface.

As to the iPad, I'll see how it goes but if I did become tempted I'd still wait for version 2.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Yeh, know what you mean. I'm desperately keen on the iMac Pro but try as I might I can't find one single justification for getting one, I love he idea of the Macbook Air/iPad but neither is quite right as they are and of course the 'Air' is way too pricy anyway.

I have thought I might get an old Macbook but I would want to use it 'on battery' and they're nearly always nerfed on pre-owned ones.

Saxlicker

II'll have to wait until the iMac has USB 3 and hope they've not dropped FireWire by then as I'd have a problem connecting my audio interface.
:confused:

My imac, bought in feb has 4 USB's and a firewire.
Have I miss understood your post? mind you the firewire is 800 not 400 so I had to get another lead for my camcorder

jonf

Gordon Bennett, what a price! For a glorified 'phone with a big screen and just 64gb storage. I know Apple pitches its gear as 'premium products' but that's taking the urine.

JasonC

:confused:

My imac, bought in feb has 4 USB's and a firewire.
Have I miss understood your post? mind you the firewire is 800 not 400 so I had to get another lead for my camcorder
I think Chris means version 3 of USB which is due soon, not how many ports it has. Its a shame the iPad doesn't have one at all and that you have to buy adaptors to use USB or an SD card.

Doubt I'll be ordering one, not with the flaws it has at the moment at least anyway. I'm happy with my Android phone which does more than the iPad, albeit a smaller screen.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

I meant the Macbook Pro, not IMac! Typo, sorry. I have a shiny new Mac Pro which is very nice when paired with an Eizo CG243W but NOT very portable.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Subscriber
I have my eye on one. It would have been very useful at Frankfurt this year. I can imagine using it to carry around a portable website, presentations, video demonstrations etc. to such events. I think these will actually catch on bigtime, but I'm not in a hurry so will wait to actually try one out first.

SteveK

They are going to be huge. Apple have a knack of knowing what we want before we know we want it. It will fill an as yet undefined space - it is not intended to be an improvement on what we have today. It will create new user behaviour. I think it is actually very cheap for what it does when you consider the price of a top end smart phone. Also consider the Amazon and Sony ebook readers - they are only slightly cheaper and all they do is display books and nothing else. I would say they have priced the iPad to sell to grab the media channel space before the clones move in. They will make their money on content - which is what they are playing for. Selling hardware nowadays is not what it is about - margins are too low.
While I do love Macs (I still have a 1988 MAC classic that works) - I use a MAC Pro and an IPhone - I have to contradict myself here by saying that I can not see a purpose for the iPad for me personally in the short term - even though I am a big fan.
By the way as a general point MACs are not expensive - they just don't sell cheap bottom end trash. Compare the price of a MAC Pro with a similarly specified Sony Vaio. And look at the iMACs - the screens are enormous and beautiful - cheap trash PCs just do not give that kind of quality.
I strongly recommend that anyone thinking of buying an iPad waits for the 3G version which comes out a few months latter. The current version is WiFi only and doesn't have GPS either.
....and then there's LTE (long term evolution) to think of (that's 4G for you and me). That is just around the corner. I predict a 4G iPhone within 18 months and a 4G iPad within 24 months. Yes, I do do this for a living :)
Steve

SteveK

...actually one use I can see for the iPad is to place it on a music stand to display sheet music. It will happily sit on a stand as it doesn't have a keyboard and it's light enough. It's battery life is 9+ hours so that will go through the longest gig. No need to print music.
I bet Sibelius will have a score viewer application for the iPad within 9 months;} but in the mean time can just use .PDF files.
- as I said it the iPad will create new behaviour.
Steve

JasonC

They are a good idea but the concept has been out for years and have never taken off, maybe Apple's excellent marketing skills can change that though, we'll see. I couldn't justify buying one of these myself, I just wouldn't find any use for it. Its too big to carry around socially so a smartphone is a better option for this, and business wise its just too limited in what it can do, I couldn't cope (nor work properly) without a proper keyboard and mouse, therefore a laptop is a much better option.

thehunt

It's amazing marketing, how slick it is, to make us want to part with our dosh for something we don't need, but are made to believe that we need it. My draw is littered with past gizmos, portable cd players, mini disc players, as well as countless phones each one purporting to be better than the next...
I thought the idea these days was portability, the i-pad does not seem to fit that criteria but i will doubtless be wrong and millions will waste their money on another gadget which within a year will be obsolete. I won't be buying one.

Saxlicker

I think Chris means version 3 of USB which is due soon, not how many ports it has. Its a shame the iPad doesn't have one at all and that you have to buy adaptors to use USB or an SD card.
Ahhh I see thanks Jason.

They are going to be huge. Apple have a knack of knowing what we want before we know we want it. It will fill an as yet undefined space - it is not intended to be an improvement on what we have today.

Steve
I agree with that!

Here are some quotes about the introduction of the ipod.

- iPoop… iCry. I was so hoping for something more.

- Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player. Go Steve! Where’s the Newton?!

- hey - heres an idea Apple - rather than enter the world of gimmicks and toys, why dont you spend a little more time sorting out your pathetically expensive and crap server line up? or are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?

- I still can’t believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It’s so wrong! It’s so stupid!

- gee! an mp3 player with a HD! how original! kinda reminds me of a JUKEBOX i once knew..

- $400 for an Mp3 Player!
I’d call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time…and it’s not really functional.
Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?

- All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve’s mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off.

- There are already two products similar to this on the market. The Nomad Jukebox and the Archos Jukebox which can come with a 20 gig HD. The iPod is obviously alot cooler and has firewire, but it is far from revolutionary. I for one am disappointed and think that apple is making a mistake by trying to get into this market.

- trully revolutionary MY ASSSS!

- … Won’t last. Another Cube.

- this really isn’t that revolutionary of a product. I have a Nomad Jukebox with a 6gig hardrive and it only cost me $250. It works great and syncs fine with the computer and the transfer is relativley fast. I don’t know what the big deal is. So…it works well with apple’s software….big deal, anyone can do that. There is nothing there of interest. It’s just a little but smaller, has a little better battery, and is $150 dollars more. Whatever…….this thing would be cool…..for $200.

- Any way you spin this it is:
1. Not revolutionary. Big capacity mp3 players already exist. With Creative Labs’ entrance into the firewire arena, future nomads will have similar specs and better prices.
2. A bad fit. This product is outside Apple’s core competancy - computing devices. When many are calling for a pda, they release an MP3 player.
3. Without a future. This Christmas you will see mp3 players be commoditized. Meaning that the players from Korea will be way less expensive tha iPod. The real money is in DRM and distribution (ala Real Musicnet). If Apple were smart they would be focusing on high gross revenue from services rather than a playback device.

- … Seems like Steve just wanted the coolest toy, regardless of its practicality…

- This iPod is for spoil rich kids with insane parents or an Apple fan as fannatic as a Taliban. It has good features but forget about getting it for $399!!!! Never, who gets that thing is a very stupid person. Steve Jobs is under terrible consuling or is under too much pot. This propusal is not realistic at all. If Apple does something like this again is going down. This unit may work for an audio engeneer to record some conference or rock band on the field in place of buying a expensive DAT machine, that is the only real good market this machinne is gonna have.
- 400 bucks for a MP3 player on steroid? That’s a real breaktrought, but in appl… ied stupidity! Anyway, what can you really expect from the man that killed the Newton because it was “without a keyboard” (cfr Jobs himself words, ca Feb. 1998).

- i just marvel at the squandered potential of such design and thought at the hands of junior college marketers and accountants. doesn’t anybody over there ever look at a price tag!? the painful reality is that the market wants to move down on price and up on features [exactly what is causing the current bloodletting in the 'wintel' world] and if apple could just come out with a product that was appealing [which they do every three months] and priced well out of the gate [which never happens] then the market might recognize the innovations for what they really are. but that initial sticker shock will forever keep people away.

- It’s a shame that Apple doesn’t have market awareness and released that yet again, has “missed the boat” before spending R&D, time and money on creating this now-novel audio device. You’d think they would’ve learnt from omitting CDRW drives from their machines a few years ago. Sure, it’s got the largest capacity for it’s size-class on the market, but I don’t think that’s enough to be called “revolutionary”, albeit something which could even attempt to steal thunder from MS’s XP release this week.
All I can say is that I’m really disappointed. So much hype and anticipation that it was hardly “groundbreaking”, moreso “heartbreaking”.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
What vitriol...

Marketing is about creating an image for a product, one which is often a long way from reality... The gullible public buy the product because of the image. Cigarette advertising is a classic here. The problems start when the company believes in the image so much that they lose touch with reality and release further products based on image not real needs. And are blind to any feedback - except praise from acolytes. I believe Apple are there. The iPad is a solution looking for a problem, and I can see those who buy one suffering from buyer's remorse soon....

SteveK

Televisions aren't very portable either but they seem to have been quite popular so far. This is not a phone. The 3G and Wi-FI connectivity is about data connectivity - not a phone replacement.
There are now more mobile phones manufactured than there are babies born. There are currently 4 billion SIM cards issued in the world - this number is expected to pass 20 billion by 2020 and 50 billion by 2040. The iPad is part of the drive for the ubiquitous and transparent exchange of information that begin with the printing press (actually probably earlier with speech and hand writing) and continues today. We are all part of this regardless of whether or not we choose to be. The success will be in the iPad's ability to accelerate the exchange of information.
I believe you will see the iPad (or clones) turning up almost everywhere. - hospitals, doorstep deliveries, schools, supermarkets, cars, reading rooms, building sites, on-stage, living rooms....
The Newton (1995ish - Apple again) failed not because of what it could or could do but because it did not allow for connectivity and thus did not accelerate data exchange.
"Man is limited by his fears, not his imagination" - where did I read that?;}

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Good to see that you've swallowed the blurb... :shocked:

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Shall we bet a beer or two on it? That way whichever of us is right can gloat and crow at the other's expense :cheers:

Top Bottom