All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

who to listen to?

breathless

hi all, some of you know I started learning to play tenor Sax just 2-3 months ago and this was after a lifelong ambition to do so.
Ive always like "the sound" of jazz but apart from a few well known names I was certainly NO expert!

now im actually involved as it were! im trying to listen to as many sax players as possible and in the last few months have collected around 15 albums including, Charlie Parker, John Coltrain & his Son Ravvi`s new album, Sonny Rollins, Orenette Colman and a few people ive been to see at the Pizza express and the 606 like Gilad Atzmon and Snake Davis.
however im open to all types of music and recently took a punt on a Album by OCDC which is fabulous.

id like to take in all types of sax orientated music but wondered if I could pull on the forums wealth of knowledge and ask for some suggestions?

as ive just said I like hearing the good ole boys of jazz but really likesome of this new stuff like OCDC so it would be good to get some recommendations.

must apologise, it would appear Ive misspelt the title! (cant see a way to amend it).

Rgds Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:

breathless

Re: who top listen to?

guess I asked for that, Jonf, take a listen to OCDC`s new album, you may be suprised, very upbeat!

Lee.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm

Andy Sheppard, Alan Skidmore, Jan Garbarek, Tubby Hayes, Wayne Shorter, Pete King. These are my personal favourites.
Google Spotify and subscribe. There's tons of stuff on there.

We may never see you again!

Andy

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"

john surman, stanley turrentine, ben webster, earl bostic..... some personal faves

Jazzaferri

Speaking of Wayne Shorter I am off to see him live in 4 hours. Definitely one of the greats.

Greg Strange

You could try:-

Altos:- David Sanborn, Hank Crawford, Art Pepper, Paul Desmond, Cannonball Adderley, Charlie Parker, Sonny Criss, Ornette Coleman, Kenny Garrett, Maceo Parker, Jackie MacLean, Bobby Watson, Bunky Green & Rudresh Manathappa (Apex album), Eric Marienthal, Johhny Hodges, Benny Carter, Eric Dolphy, Freddy Lipsius (Blood Sweat & Tears), Edgar Winter, Sonny Fortune, Eddie Vinson, Dave Binney,

Tenors:- Lester Young, Mike Brecker, Joe Lovano, John Klemmer, Ernie Watts ( & alto), Tom Scott (& alto), Joe Henderson, Junior Walker, King Curtis, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt ( & alto), Joe Farrell, Jim Pepper, Ronnie Laws, Gato Barbieri, Wayne Shorter ( & soprano), Pete Christlieb (Steely Dan records), Grover Washington Jr (alto, tenor & soprano), David 'Fathead' Newman (a, t, & s), Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Dave O'Higgins, Joel Frahm, Mark Turner, Eric Alexander, George Young (a, s & t), Pharoah Sanders,...

and you could also check out Pete Thomas' two albums...

That should keep you going for starters...

there's loads more out there...

Regards,

Greg S.

TomMapfumo

Hi there!

If you like OCDC - I do very much so - then have a listen to some stuff by Dave Stapleton: two recommendations would be

1. Dave Stapleton Quintet - "The House Always Wins" (Edition Records). Ben Waghorn on Tenor Sax.
2. Dave Stapleton - "Catching Sunlight" (Edition Records). - featuring the Lunar Sax Quartet.

I would also mention Charles Lloyd (Tenor Sax) and his most recent "Athens Concert" (ECM) with noted Greek vocalist Maria Farantouri. He is a very fine sax player and the Greek influence is very special. Here's a random track of Charles Lloyd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqG0oZ2MFBs

Final recommendation:

Tord Gustavsen Quartet - "The Well" (ECM), featuring Tore Brunborg on Tenor Sax. I saw him at Brecon Cathedral last August with "Meadow" (Sax, Piano, Percussion) who were brilliant.

Kind regards
Tom

breathless

WOW! Yet again a marvelous response, thanks guys!

A evenings cut a day painting required and then to set my Amazon account on fire!

Tom, re- The Well, by Tord! I've been eyeing up that album for a while and wondered if it was along the OCDC ilk! Will look up Save Stapleton aswel.

Thanks everyone, loads there to wade threw, see you in a few years! Lol.

Rgds Lee.

Greg Strange

You could try:-

Altos:- David Sanborn, Hank Crawford, Art Pepper, Paul Desmond, Cannonball Adderley, Charlie Parker, Sonny Criss, Ornette Coleman, Kenny Garrett, Maceo Parker, Jackie MacLean, Bobby Watson, Bunky Green & Rudresh Manathappa (Apex album), Eric Marienthal, Johhny Hodges, Benny Carter, Eric Dolphy, Freddy Lipsius (Blood Sweat & Tears), Edgar Winter, Sonny Fortune, Eddie Vinson, Dave Binney,

Tenors:- Lester Young, Mike Brecker, Joe Lovano, John Klemmer, Ernie Watts ( & alto), Tom Scott (& alto), Joe Henderson, Junior Walker, King Curtis, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt ( & alto), Joe Farrell, Jim Pepper, Ronnie Laws, Gato Barbieri, Wayne Shorter ( & soprano), Pete Christlieb (Steely Dan records), Grover Washington Jr (alto, tenor & soprano), David 'Fathead' Newman (a, t, & s), Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Dave O'Higgins, Joel Frahm, Mark Turner, Eric Alexander, George Young (a, s & t), Pharoah Sanders,...

and you could also check out Pete Thomas' two albums...

That should keep you going for starters...

there's loads more out there...

Regards,

Greg S.

I must have been half a sleep yesterday because I forgot...

Phil Woods, Dexter Gordon, Don Byas, Clarence Clemons, Mel Collins, Phil Kenzie, Raphael Ravenscroft, Wesley Magoogan, Kenny G:shocked:, Sam Riney, Richard Elliott, Don Myrick, Wilton Felder, Dave Koz, Hank Mobley, Junior Cook, Louis Jordan, Dave Woodford, Steve Grainger, Dave Liebman, Sidney Bechet, Steve Lacy,

and a few Kiwi players...Brian Smith (Maynard Ferguson and Nucleus), Nathan Haines, Pete France, Godfrey de Grut, Dan Yeabsley (Twin Set), Roger Manins, Lucien Johnson, ...

can't forget the Aussies Bernie McGann, Bob Bertles (Nucleus as well), Geoff Oakes, Andrew Oh, James Morrison (saxes and trumpet)...

and a truck load more

Cheers,

Greg S.

Jazzaferri

My fave alto player Gerald Albright..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXe8hmMxs8E if you have a spare 17mins :thumb:

Lucky lucky you, i'm jealous :( did he play 'I didn't know what time it was' one of my faves

I didnt recognize anything in the hour long set of composed/improvised soundscapes. They were groovin it though ...i can only hope to be as together as wayne at 78

To add a couple to the list Glad Atzmon on alto and Jerry Bergonzi on Tenor

TomMapfumo

WOW! Get again a marvelous response, thanks guys!

A evenings cut a day painting required and then to set my Amazon account on fire!

Tom, re- The Well, by Tord! I've been eyeing up that album for a while and wondered if it was along the OCDC ilk! Will look up Save Stapleton aswel.

Thanks everyone, loads there to wade threw, see you in a few years! Lol.

Rgds Lee.

The Dave Stapleton Quintet is in the same ball park as OCDC (both based in the Bristol/Cardiff area) and so is livelier than Tord Gustavsen "Well", which is much more melodic. If you like lively then you could also try The Five Corners Quintet "Hot Corner" with Timo Lassy on Tenor & Baritone Sax (group from Finland!). http://www.thefivecornersquintet.com/index.php

See you in a few years!
Tom

breathless

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Tom, Ill look into Dave Stapleton certainly sounds interesting!

As for the wonders of the almighty Stan Getz, I listen to his album Focus more than any other. He makes a tenor talk in a way I haven't heard elsewhere and I like it a lot.

Rgds Lee.

TomMapfumo

I was just about to say that you had said in your OP that you listen to the older stuff (the good ole boys of jazz) available and enjoy, but were keen on learning about what is around more recently, inspired by listening to OCDC (initials of Ornette Coleman/Don Curry!).

By the Way do check out what is sold on ebay regarding CD's, and not just Amazon. I checked on Five Corners Quintet and the "Hot Corners CD was £21.94 on Amazon and was £11.59 on ebay, post free!

breathless

I was just about to say that you had said in your OP that you listen to the older stuff (the good ole boys of jazz) available and enjoy, but were keen on learning about what is around more recently, inspired by listening to OCDC (initials of Ornette Coleman/Don Curry!).

By the Way do check out what is sold on ebay regarding CD's, and not just Amazon. I checked on Five Corners Quintet and the "Hot Corners CD was £21.94 on Amazon and was £11.59 on ebay, post free!

Oh you guys are a bad influence!

Just ordered Hot corners, The well and and Eric Dolphy CD, between fleebay and the rain forest site.

Tom, Cheers for the fleebay idea, just saved myself a few quid there. I use fleebay a lot but hadn't crossed my mind to look on there for music. Don't know why?

I'm buying a few CD's a month so ill cut and save parts from this thread for future purchasing.

Rgds Lee.

breathless

Im sure it was just an oversight.

It's just aswell Stan Getz album "Focus” was one of the first albums I bought since I started learning to play!
Out of all the artists ive heard Stan is the man, just talks to me in a different way, partly the way the sound of the tenor has stired my soul most of my life.

Lee.

Top Bottom