support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Miscellaneous Who plays other woodwinds?

What (non-saxophone) woodwinds do you play

• Total voters

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
Locality
Sunny Southampton
Just out of interest I was wondering about other woodwinds.

So here's a poll. The choices I've given are limited to keep it simple so for example piccolo would be included with flute, cor angles with oboe.

I was going to include level (beginner/intermediate/advanced) and main or secondary, but no, let's keep it simple and feel free to add that info in a post.

Other also please state in a post

I have put in recorder as "Other"

I can add it to the poll, but assumed it might be under other, along with recorder, panpipes, bagpipe. It hadn't occurred to me there may be enough to qualify in it's own section.

Or a nipple section

Edit I meant fipple - can't trust spell checkers.

Ok have added the fipple section - you should be able top change your vote if you voted "other"

As a band director I was required to have at least a rudimentary skill on all of the common wind instruments. My emphasis was to be able to produce a "characteristic" tone on each for the students to model more than a technical mastery. Clarinet is my strongest double followed by the flute which is not nearly as good which means I can play flute doubles in jazz charts given enough time to practice. The "other" I checked is for the "Tarogato" which is oboe like except for the single reed. On second thought one doesn't actually "play" a tarogato, one plays "at it".

Last edited:
I also play blues harp not sure if it qualifies as a woodwind but it's certainly a reed instrument as opposed to purse yer lips and blow.

Sorry folks, I am going to close the poll and reopen as I need to edit it and cannot do that at the moment

I also play blues harp not sure if it qualifies as a woodwind but it's certainly a reed instrument as opposed to purse yer lips and blow.

OK, added free reeds to include harmonica accordion etc.

Thank you all for revolting

EDIT:
What is it with spellchecker and this thread ????

diatonic accordion, though only in private (not a thing to be seen by decent people) and I voted flute, even though I've still to send off the paperwork, so I will be playing flute.

OK so we have quite a few fipplers. (Spell check wanted tipplers, we have a few of those too!)

I long to do a bagpipe solo at one of our gigs......gotta be in Bb to get the drones to work :sax: