All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Who did the saxsolo on Nina Simone –”I Put A Spell On You”?

thomsax

A friend asked - Who did the saxsolo on Nina Simone - ”I Put A Spell On You” (1965)?

I don’t know but it’s very good and since yesterday evening the question and the song has been running in my head. Not only who did it but also how it was done? So I pick up my tenorsax and tried to pick out the tones in the solo. I think it starts with a G# 3 (b,g, f, side c trill key + octave key) down to C#3, B3 …. . I also use D#, F# and through in D, A# as well when I try to play the solo. The tongue is active (staccato) or is the player doing any tricks… ? Maybe I got it all wrong? I don’t even know in what key the song is played! But it’s a very good song and solo.

Still the question is: Who played the solo? Tonewise I can hear some of the typicall Martin sound when you push/honk the high tones? And the saxman Buddy Lucas (Martin player) worked with Simone …..

Thomas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDprYZ-tgiA

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
from an sotw thread:
[h=2]I put a spell on you[/h]
TH,check out the version of this song by Nina Simone,which features King Curtis​

thomsax

Thanks Koen88.

I just heard that it can be the jazzplayer (mainly flute but also sax) Jerome Richardson. That can explain the excellent double-tonuing. Even Buddy Lucas used doubletonguing.

Thomas

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom