All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

While Awake I Dreamt I was a Bebop Musician Dreaming I Wasn't a Bebop Musician

Mike

I haven't recorded in awhile. Only the birds outside have been my audience. So far no bird
poop has landed in my vicinity. That's always a plus, or have I made them prematurely take flight in a southerly direction? This recording I have to sit down because I think I may be in the throes of developing cervical arthritis. My mic setup in this position/acoustics kind of sucks. I have a harness that I just bought and it does help but some days I don't play, or play for a few minutes. So I'm not really practicing but I pick it up when I can.... It's cool, I'll just try and hone what I already have. I don't have delusions of grandeur.

There are many things wrong with this recording.
Too much blowing
Sound quality/intonation is awful
Some may even say the atonal track is too contrasting.

Isn't existence one insane phenomenon? It's a moment in time and then we have the next moment.
Moments ago produced this moment in time as in sequence. Now how do we keep all the sound in the same moment? Or are we?

While Awake I Dreamt I was a Bebop Musician Dreaming I Wasn't a Bebop Musician
http://www.soundclick.com/mikemilillo

Last edited by a moderator:

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
So good to hear you again and operating totally from your own perspective. Heaps of contrast between the (almost) classical approach of your guitar playing (which is coming along nicely) and the bebop lines. The subtle harmonic bits that come in around 4:26 are exceptional. I'm not sure what happened there musically, but it resonated within me in way that was phenomenal and to my ears unique and profound. Possibly worth another exploration/expansion?

Mike

So good to hear you again and operating totally from your own perspective. Heaps of contrast between the (almost) classical approach of your guitar playing (which is coming along nicely) and the bebop lines. The subtle harmonic bits that come in around 4:26 are exceptional. I'm not sure what happened there musically, but it resonated within me in way that was phenomenal and to my ears unique and profound. Possibly worth another exploration/expansion?

Thanks for the listen Wade...I'm not playing the guitar. In fact I didn't even write the track. I found it on Youtube and I really liked it. I didn't think they would mind since I have no commercial potential.
I haven't touched my guitar in quite some time, actually. These days, I don't seem to have the interest in writing my own stuff. I just like blowing wind into my horn.

What happened at 4:26 was simply a spontaneous thing where I was modulating keys. It just happened and I can't take credit for something that I had such great insight into. It just happened. Glad you liked it!
When I heard the track on Youtube, which is atonal, I really liked it and so I began playing to it. Atonality was always something I had great appreciation for.

Much appreciated Mr. Cornell.....

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Certainly had me fooled as the atonal guitar sounded like something you'd do. Didn't sound technically that difficult either. Here's to happy accidents and avoidance of the other kind.

Jamesmac

Hi mike.... Yes it is good to hear your playing/rec again. I enjoyed the sax, let it just wash over me, with no real melody to hang on to, but not wanting to miss anything at the same time. Although I didn't get the guitar, poss too atonal for me. I noticed most of your phrases were downward spiraling, like watching the water disappear down the plug hole. Particularly with the Dimminished.
PS. When you said you had birds listening outside your window, I thought you had some groupies in tow, until you said they didnt poo on the window. LOL.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
That's so clever:thumb:, there's no escape you know>:)

Chris.

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
A lot of nice licks happening. I was hearing JS Bach & Paul Desmond but it`s all just notes and coincidence. It`s a great idea just to grab a BT off youtube occasionally and be a musical Cuckoo. Are you going to let the Composer Hear it Mike? I think they would probably be delighted.
I always look forward to hearing your latest Mike. I can`t help thinking that if you keep working something really special will emerge.

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
Really lovely - very free and spontaneous, I'm not normally a fan of "free jazz but your playing is a joy to listen to even without any backing! :thumb:

Mike

Certainly had me fooled as the atonal guitar sounded like something you'd do. Didn't sound technically that difficult either. Here's to happy accidents and avoidance of the other kind.
Well, I thank you for the compliment Wade. Yes, just a happy accident. But I don't believe in accidents.
It did happen regardless.

Hi mike.... Yes it is good to hear your playing/rec again. I enjoyed the sax, let it just wash over me, with no real melody to hang on to, but not wanting to miss anything at the same time. Although I didn't get the guitar, poss too atonal for me. I noticed most of your phrases were downward spiraling, like watching the water disappear down the plug hole. Particularly with the Dimminished.
PS. When you said you had birds listening outside your window, I thought you had some groupies in tow, until you said they didnt poo on the window. LOL.

Thank you Jim, Yeah, I know, my playing is fleeting. I find it organic to just play. I'm outside of my house. I live on an acre of land surrounded by trees and there are birds of several species all around.
In the morning and at dusk they are quite vocal. Although, the birds are quite cheap, not once have they ever left a few coins by my case......I understand, the economy and all.....

That's so clever, there's no escape you know

Thanks Chris....To quote Michael Corleone, "Just when I thought I was out, they bring me back in"

A lot of nice licks happening. I was hearing JS Bach & Paul Desmond but it`s all just notes and coincidence. It`s a great idea just to grab a BT off youtube occasionally and be a musical Cuckoo. Are you going to let the Composer Hear it Mike? I think they would probably be delighted.
I always look forward to hearing your latest Mike. I can`t help thinking that if you keep working something really special will emerge.

That's an interesting idea to have the composer listen to it. Although I did take some aspects of it apart and edited it and I'm not sure if that would be appreciated. Something to consider. Actually, in all honesty Clivey, when we pick up an instrument, even in it's early stages, is a special event because we then choose to express ourselves artisitically. Getting to various levels is fine but from the first moment to years down the road it's all a special incentive.

Really lovely - very free and spontaneous, I'm not normally a fan of "free jazz but your playing is a joy to listen to even without any backing!

Thank you very much ArtLady! I actually really like solo saxophone. Again, the organic nature of it all.

Jamesmac

Hi Mike…. Francis is one of a kind..like we all are.
Ferrets are not completely domesticated..like your average dog or cat and I love him for that, I love him for his personality, he looks at me as you look at a stranger that your not quite sure you can trust, so when he trusts me, as in the pic. it’s a great. Similar to music in a way, we all come from different musical backgrounds, so better to enrich yourself in diversity, than to think everybody should be on the same path. In the end they lead to the same goal.
Jim

Mike

Hi Mike…. Francis is one of a kind..like we all are.
Ferrets are not completely domesticated..like your average dog or cat and I love him for that, I love him for his personality, he looks at me as you look at a stranger that your not quite sure you can trust, so when he trusts me, as in the pic. it’s a great. Similar to music in a way, we all come from different musical backgrounds, so better to enrich yourself in diversity, than to think everybody should be on the same path. In the end they lead to the same goal.
Jim

Yeah, I know what you mean Jim. My cat is female and for some reason in her personality she doesn't take too much to anyone who doesn't live in our house. Her scent is distorted! Even my kids and grandkids she hides from.
As soon as they leave, my cat will lie down next to me on the couch with that pompous look on her face.

She likes my wife and son but she runs from them because they always like to pick her up. I never pick her up and she will always look for me because I only pet her and show her that around me she's absolutely free to come and go. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be picked up all the time!

Although, if she sees me put on my sax strap she automatically knows from memory and she runs downstairs. Imagine what she sees/hears with this big strange threatening thing with a booming sound. It must be like her whole world is coming to an end and her survival instincts kick into high gear.....I keep telling her it's just a saxophone.....lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom