support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Which variety of Nitromors?

DHM

Wrinkled retainer
Locality
West Midlands, UK
Which variety of Nitromors do those experienced in saxophone lacquer removal recommend?

There seems to be:

—All Purpose Paint & Varnish Remover in a green container
—Non-Methylene Chloride All Purpose Paint & Varnish Remover also in a green container
—Craftsman varnish and lacquer remover in a yellow container
—Craftsman Non-Methylene Chloride Varnish & Lacquer Remover also in a yellow container

and this bear of very little brain is a might perplexed by the choice.

The 1st green tin on your list, warning though if its a yamaha expoxy lacquer it wont touch, most other horns it flys off.I, ve done about 7 horns with it.

DHM

Wrinkled retainer
Locality
West Midlands, UK
Thank you very much.

It's not a Yamaha; from what I've heard of Yamaha's lacquer the question would need to be "Which variety of thermonuclear device?".

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
They're all pretty much of a muchnees take your pick some tend to be more liquid than others which can be more of a thicker gel and probably better for clinging to the sax ....John

MarkSax

Locality
UK
Hello. Was just wondering if Nitromors would be a suitable agent to use to de lacquer a saxophone which apparently has been de lacquered and ' varnished ' recently? I say varnished because it looks like varnish on bare brass. Thank you.

Tiberius

Locality
England
I don't think you'll have much luck with any variety of Nitromors - or any other 'DIY' brand...they've all been got at by the health 'n safety regulations, and all the goodness has been taken out of them
A bit like modern weedkillers that don't actually kill nething.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
It's a double edged sword. While I yearn for the days when paint stripper actually worked, I do appreciate that it was probably pretty bad when all the old nitromors was flushed down your sink. No doubt it was great for the U-bend, but not the planet.

using the strange stuff efficiently is a good compromise, I think isn't it @Stephen Howard who mentioned slapping it on, wrapping in a bin bag and let it do it's magic. That way you use the least amount of toxic nastiness to get the best stripping.

I once stripped a Fender bass, that was a compete nightmare as the lacquer is probably thicker than a horn, but the bin bag approach did help. Mind you with a guitar you're probably better of with a sander anyway which I did use for the finish.

Top Bottom