All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Which Tenor?

Di in France

I know this will have been asked before, and I've searched through lots of threads, but wondered if anyone could give me some advice.
I play alto, but have played the tenor in the past and am thinking of getting another.
I've looked on the net at quite a few, including the Bauhaus, Hanson, Thomann.
There's a Hanson ST8 used on the hanson website for £700 which is at the top of my budget, and I've seen that some of the Bauhaus saxes are around that much, but there are quite a few models of the bauhaus, so I'm not sure how they compare like for like.
I think I'd prefer a modern sax as I'm used to modern keywork, although to be honest I don't know how important this is.
I'm inclined to go for new rather than second-hand and Iknow that the Hanson is used, but I've heard good things about the company and as it's being sold through their shop, I reckon it will be what they say it is and ready to play.
Hoping all you tenor players can help me come to a decision. :D

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
My old sax teacher who is retired now from gigging sold his 3 bronze Yanagisawa 992 horns,alto,sop,tenor and now is playing the Hanson horns.He loves his and said there great.Keeps him going for bits of teaching he does.I never blew 1 but have seen the ST8 and it felt and looked great.Ergonomics felt nicer than a Walstein which are good horns aswell.My old teacher got a handmade hanson clarinet also.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I have an ST8 which I'm happy with, play well, sounds good and never had any problems with it.
As it's the only tenor I've owned I can only say I preferred it to the others I tried for a short time.
Hanson has a good reputation so second hand from him should be alright.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Hi Di,
I recently bought a Hanson ST8 in silver plate/gold and have enjoyed it thoroughly. Plenty of meat to the tone when you dig in, and surprisingly not too bright. I know I was advised that silver plated saxes can be overtly bright in tone but no sign of that here.
I love it. Hansons are good to deal with and check to see if their guarantee/servicing deal goes with the sax even though it's pre-owned.
Hope this helps
Andy

trimmy

One day i will...
I don't have a Hanson Tenor but i do have the Hanson SA8 and i'm more than happy with it, before i purchased it i phoned Hanson and they were very very helpfull even to the point of asking me to bring it in and they will check it out even though it was about 4 years old.

ps. Andrew keep me in mind if you ever sell as i have the Silver plate/gold alto, a matching pair would be nice ;} no you can't have mine

oldpuffer

Thanks guys, I've emailed them at hansons for some more info, so will wait to hear on monday.
I would telephone them Di, its an 0800 number so might even be free to you from France.

Like a lot of retailers they take 'phone calls more seriously. I'm playing a new Hanson st5 tenor, traded in my old one as the latest st5 is much better. They have been always been very helpful and will even do a deal on any advertised price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Nice try Trimmy! You got a bargain alto, what do you want, blood?>:) Or to turn us green with envy? :)))

Colin the Bear

If price is an issue and you want a cheap new tenor that plays in tune with a reasonable action have a look at Gear4music. Don't be tempted by their ex display models. They aren't what they seem. The regular ones are fine. Not a pro horn but a good student that plays well and cheap, to enjoy while you save for a Yani or a selmer. I have their alto tenor and curved sop.

daveysaxboy

If price is an issue and you want a cheap new tenor that plays in tune with a reasonable action have a look at Gear4music. Don't be tempted by their ex display models. They aren't what they seem. The regular ones are fine. Not a pro horn but a good student that plays well and cheap, to enjoy while you save for a Yani or a selmer. I have their alto tenor and curved sop.
Or a Yamaha ......

TomMapfumo

It all depends on whether you want a bright sounding sax or one with a more mellow tone - I'm in the latter camp and am more likely to choose a BW tenor of those below £1000.

daveysaxboy

It all depends on whether you want a bright sounding sax or one with a more mellow tone - I'm in the latter camp and am more likely to choose a BW tenor of those below £1000.
The player makes the final sound.Any sax cab be bright or mellow,depends on your mp,reed and how you play them.

TomMapfumo

Which is what I assumed until I had my Yanagisawa T901 (bright) and could not find mp, reed and ligature combination to produce my desired sound, but swapped it for a System 54 Tenor (mellow) and the solution was almost immediately there........
I am sure that I produced the final sound, but preferred the sound on the latter sax by a long way.

daveysaxboy

Which is what I assumed until I had my Yanagisawa T901 (bright) and could not find mp, reed and ligature combination to produce my desired sound, but swapped it for a System 54 Tenor (mellow) and the solution was almost immediately there........
I am sure that I produced the final sound, but preferred the sound on the latter sax by a long way.
Thats the key,get what horn plays best for you.Not just sound but feel,ergonomics,even scale,response,blowing that suits you and intonation and were you just feel as comfy as you can on it.I agree theres horns that play darker or brighter but i think theres to much about the horn.The player,mp and physical playing sound are the more the key.I have a mate who plays sooo dark on any horn,mp he plays.Its freaky.I also think good chops come in to it also.The more you play the more your sound grows i feel,gets bigger.Alot of people only spend a few hours a week on a sax at practice and they say there not happy with there sound.Well theres the answer.There not putting in any time.You loose your lip and breathing very quick if your not playing.So my point is if your doing some good prep work on your horn,any make or brand your sound will be better for it.I think that the horn is the last thing in the chain to the final sound.The horn that fits all the above i said to you is the best.The big pink fleshy thing 1st and that is the most important bit,then your mp,then a horn that ticks all the box's.I also think your 54 is nicer than the 901 Yani which for me feel tame and close up on me.As you know i've had the 54 sop and tenor which were both fantastic powerfull beasts.My bari 54 is great also.

Top Bottom