All profit supporting   special needs music

Beginner Sax Which Tenor saxophone to choose

Karolis

Karolis

Locality
Lithuania
From Your opinions Yamaha seems the best option. However I can't stop thinking about the Thomann model.

I'll admit, it's a handsome devil! And once you set your eyes on something, no amount of logical arguments will persuade you to buy otherwise. SO no point looking for second opinions. Buy IT! Play IT! If you'll love it, you will spend many happy hours together. Looks matter… Otherwise horns with different finishes would cost the same and clearly they don't. Traditional finishes seem to be cheaper these days…
IF you hate it or find some faults with it send it back. Thomman has great customer service.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I had a copper tenor for a while. Copper body with brass keys. I took it to the local meet and proudly displayed it on it's stand. Sounded ok. Just like a tenor. I overheard somebody at the interval commenting " Looks like a coal scuttle" And so it was christened.
Coal scuttle

Amine.m12

Amine.m12

In the end for me it's gonna be 50/50 for the Yamaha and the Thomann.
I will think thoroughly and then make a decision.
Thanks guys for all your replies.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Of the two the Yamaha will be a superior instrument and more practical to own.. Also very easy to resell should the need arise. Who's going to buy a second hand Copper Thomann? And who's going to service it? No problem getting a Yam sorted. A "handbuilt" shop brand, I dunno.

malteof

malteof

Grew a beard, shaved it off, growing my hair
Locality
Zurich, Switzerland
I'd be more inclined to lean towards the Custom line. There are a number of features on these horns that turn up on other more well-known brands...and you can make of that what you will.
Do they resemble the TJ Signature Custom horns a bit? Maybe I'm seeing things.

B

benscience

Locality
Essex, UK
I would agree with the views expressed here so far. If you cant try them go for the Yamaha as even their student instrument models should play well out of the box and can be set up by a tech almost anywhere. I have played a Yamaha student flute for the last 40 years and it plays better than ever. I went for a Keilwerth sax but then I could try them and it just had the sound I was looking for. All the best

Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Locality
Hampshire
Two Year old thread, and OP hasn't logged on for 2 Years. Funnily enough 2 Years ago I was making the same decision on a Tenor. Plumped for a YTS 280 on the basis of reputation and ability to move it on if the new hobby didn't stick. As I was a newbie and didn't know anyone who played Sax who could give me an informed opinion, I thought it would be the sensible option. Can't be certain it was the best option for me at the time, but I certainly haven't regretted it.

Stephen Howard

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
Do they resemble the TJ Signature Custom horns a bit? Maybe I'm seeing things.

Yes they do. But then so do most horns on the market these days.
Triple point bell braces, ergonomic side/top F# keys, double cup arms, swivelling octave mechs, fork and pin connectors on side keys, semi-circular compound bell key pillars...everyone's doing much the same thing.
But if you think you're gonna get a RAW for £1200, I reckon you might be rather disappointed.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom