• Second Clip

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

Juju

Locality
London
Exhibit No 1: DeadAudiolink Removed

Exhibit No 2: DeadAudiolink Removed

I'm not sure how to create a poll, but anyway, I would like to know which setup you prefer. I don't want you to be biased, so for the moment I won't tell you which saxes/mouthpieces I'm using...

Hi Juju,
I have to say i prefer No 1, it seems to have a vintage tone, maybe a Conn or a Martin, Mouthpiece i've no idea. Can't wait for the results.
Rob.

Prefer version 1

Maybe more warmth & body?...

Version 2 for me.... both are a good sound.... but 2 is a little brighter

Juju, I've added a poll for you. And voted.

First for me.

I prefer number 1. I think the timbre is better on #1. More overtones (better?).

Thomas

Hi Juju,
both sound great - the first one sounds rich and the second I prefer as it sounds purer. May I ask what you recorded them with? Not your sax set up but the microphone/recording device

Griff

I think for that style of playing, #1 edges it; it's definitely richer and the breathiness really comes out.

However, the brighter tone in #2 (which I also like) might be more versatile.

I prefer No1. A little more edge perhaps? No 2 is sounds a little creamier/smoother (but still sounds good! )

Thanks for all your votes :)

Hi Juju,
both sound great - the first one sounds rich and the second I prefer as it sounds purer. May I ask what you recorded them with? Not your sax set up but the microphone/recording device
Griff
Hi Griff,
I recorded it with an R84 Ribbon Mic, Audient preamp and Focusrite interface into Logic.
Juju

I feel the recording is quite clear... thus giving this poll a real chance for a result... Being the owner of a MKVI Tenor (although I am playing a lot of alto now) and since you said they were vintage I feel that the second could have been a MKVi .. but regardless of me being embarrassed they are both quite lovely sounds... and really looking forward to the result (by the way you have great control in the low register)... but when you want really to push the sound I think No 2 is going to work....

I feel the recording is quite clear... thus giving this poll a real chance for a result... Being the owner of a MKVI Tenor (although I am playing a lot of alto now) and since you said they were vintage I feel that the second could have been a MKVi .. but regardless of me being embarrassed they are both quite lovely sounds... and really looking forward to the result (by the way you have great control in the low register)... but when you want really to push the sound I think No 2 is going to work....
Thanks Saxade :) Yes, No 2 indeed has an extra gear, you can push it and push it, and eventually one's lungs can't keep up (or rather, my little lungs ;) ). No 2 also has a very full, weighty low register.
Juju

Difference in apparent reed strength seemed to be the biggest difference.

Thanks for all your votes :)

Hi Griff,
I recorded it with an R84 Ribbon Mic, Audient preamp and Focusrite interface into Logic.
Juju

And just as I thought I'd cured my hankering for a ribbon mic!

With either set-up your core tone is lovely, I've listened to both sound clips on a couple of occasions, and to be perfectly honest, I can't pick between them. However, would one set-up have the slight edge over the other within a band situation? In my minds eye, or rather ear, set-up 1 would sit beautifully with a double bass and piano, but set-up 2 might just have the (v. slightly) greater clarity to work better with a bigger band with perhaps an electric bass and guitar.

Either way, you've got a great core tone - I'm still looking to move on from the 'tuned kazzo' tone to the rather more desirable 'saxophone' tone.

Okay, having listened again, if I were to have to make a decision I'd opt for set-up 1, I think it has a hint more personality.

Best wishes,

Chris

P.S. I enjoyed listening to your: Politely - baritone saxophone

Back
Top Bottom