• Second Clip

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

griff136

Locality
I live in Exmouth Devon.
Thanks for all your votes :)

Hi Griff,
I recorded it with an R84 Ribbon Mic, Audient preamp and Focusrite interface into Logic.
Juju

Thaks Juju - Thats some serious recording kit -probably costs as much as my Selmer tenor!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Gotta be careful how I say this, but for me the great thing about the tenor sound is that it's like an invitation to get intimate. No matter who's playing. For me, there's more of it in the first clip. Just enough to make a big difference.

Juju

Locality
London
@Chris: yes, the ribbon mics are special. Although it took my husband a while to find the perfect way to record the sax. They tend to lack a bit of top end, but on the other hand they have a full, warm mid range.
The septet session with 'Politely' was fun, but I was incredibly nervous as all the other guys on the recording are professional musicians. It's great to have the opportunity, though.
@Griff: We got a home studio last year, and so far we have recorded up to a septet (which is about the limit...). I don't really use it much, it's mainly my husband who records live sessions with his fellow musicians.
@Nick: That's right. The openings and sound quality of the mouthpieces are different. Strangely, mouthpiece No1 works on sax No 1 and 2, but mouthpiece No 2 only works on sax No 2.
Juju

VirusKiller

Locality
Milton Keynes (ish)
@Nick: That's right. The openings and sound quality of the mouthpieces are different. Strangely, mouthpiece No1 works on sax No 1 and 2, but mouthpiece No 2 only works on sax No 2.
I've found the same thing this week trying out a French Vito vintage tenor. Both my PPT and metal Yani work on my Walstein tenor though the tone is a lot richer and more interesting with the PPT than the Yani; but only the Yani really works on the Vito (and sounds really nice with great response).

Virtually identical tenon size on both horns, but that's where the similarities end (the bow and bell on the Walstein are much larger).

Interestingly, having initially plumped for #1, I'm now favouring your clip #2.

compound

Locality
Manchester.
Hi Juju,
How much longer have we got to wait for the result? I'm pacing up and down in anticipation. Please Please tell us soon.
Rob.

Juju

Locality
London
Hi Juju,
How much longer have we got to wait for the result? I'm pacing up and down in anticipation. Please Please tell us soon.
Rob.
Please be patient, I'm hoping for a few more votes. But I will tell you this weekend :)
Juju

VirusKiller

Locality
Milton Keynes (ish)
Wild guess that one is a Mk6 and one is a Conn, but that's only based on your post history!

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
I prefer the first one as a stand alone solo, but the second would cut through in a band situation.
They're both beautiful though, andthe only way to find out which one is best...?

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
I have gone for No.2 - I think I just can't stand Vintage sound, and prefer the more upfront, less flabby sound that No.2 has. It would be interesting to know the age profile for No.1 and No.2 voters. Both sound very assured, so its a tonal difference for me.

Love to all
Tom

Martin

Locality
Grenada, West Indies
Juju,

Great tone on both. For slow ballad style, I'd choose 1, but for anything more lively, definately 2. If I had to choose one sound to do everything, it would be number two, for it's brighter quality.

Martin

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Iv'e listened to both 5 times and it's a close call but went for No' 2 but as said it is a close call

Juju

Locality
London
OK here we go:
No 1 is a late 60ies Mark VI with an Otto Link mouthpiece.
No 2 is a 1942 Conn 30M with a Hollywood Dukoff mouthpiece.
I am surprised that many have described No 2 as brighter, I wonder if that's because of laptop/computer speakers. I feel that No 2 has a wider but very centered core whereas No 1 has a narrower core but the surrounding is kind of fluffy. I like both sounds for different reasons. Being a big Dexter Gordon fan, setup No 2 seems to come closer to what I'm after.
Juju

Saxade

Locality
Tasmania
Well there you go... they were of cause both a good sound it just came down to personal choice.. If you had asked me which was the MKIV I would have said the 2nd track, especially since I have a very similar setup (Mkvi 1967 ottolink mouthpiece), but I was wrong..... :shocked:
Well done Jull for setting it up ... very interesting Poll

Adrian

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I would also have said the MkVI was the second. WOuld be good to hear the two again with the mouthpieces swapped.

koumou

Locality
Rhodes-Greece
I voted for no.2. Both clips are very pleasant to the ear, but I find clip 2 has a tone reacher in harmonics.
The clips are from a very well known melody, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the tune.

andyb1970

Locality
Bournemouth

And just as I thought I'd cured my hankering for a ribbon mic!

With either set-up your core tone is lovely, I've listened to both sound clips on a couple of occasions, and to be perfectly honest, I can't pick between them. However, would one set-up have the slight edge over the other within a band situation? In my minds eye, or rather ear, set-up 1 would sit beautifully with a double bass and piano, but set-up 2 might just have the (v. slightly) greater clarity to work better with a bigger band with perhaps an electric bass and guitar.

Either way, you've got a great core tone - I'm still looking to move on from the 'tuned kazzo' tone to the rather more desirable 'saxophone' tone.

Okay, having listened again, if I were to have to make a decision I'd opt for set-up 1, I think it has a hint more personality.

Best wishes,

Chris
I knew I wanted to say more about the sound clips but couldn't think how to describe it, but what Chris says sums it up beautifully :)

Juju

Locality
London
I voted for no.2. Both clips are very pleasant to the ear, but I find clip 2 has a tone reacher in harmonics.
The clips are from a very well known melody, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the tune.
The tune is Lady Bird

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom