support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Which sax for first sax - another request

Philly123

Locality
South Wales
Hi there, I'm new on this site (just joined last night) and an absolute beginner. I've just started having lessons on a rented sax (Elkhart Blessing I think) but need to buy my own. Don't have much to spend - about £250-300 - which I know is not a lot and is limited. Been looking online (ebay mainly) as I haven't been able to find any good stores around where I live (Cardiff area).

I've been looking at Trevor James - Classic or Artemis or Earlham Series 2. What do people think about these

The Selmer Prelude comes in close to your budget at £330 from Normans. That price is for an alto. I would only consider the TJ from your list.

Jim.

I've been happy with my Trevor James Classic, but mine was about £500 brand new. I bet you could get one cheaper though with some shopping around, or get better ones for the price.

I would personally get the Used Bauhaus Walstein Unlacquered Alto series 2 sax at Studio Saxophones in Abergavenny for £300 + £15 postage (in the Vintage and Used section if it was me - The company is run by Birdman on the forum (bl**dy nice bloke!. There is a TJ Revolution alto at Sax Heaven in Oxford for £299 if you have to have a TJ. If you have not done so do check out "Preloved" for saxes as you may find some local to Cardiff that you could try out.

I'll get me coat..........;}

I am more than happy with the TJ, I have a "Classic" that cost under 200 from ebay and a "Horn Revolution" that cost a little more but under 300. Both very good starter instruments, the "Horn" slightly nicer...

The Conn-Selmer is a very good alto.
See the review on www.shwoodwind.co.uk
I've had one for a few years and am really pleased with it. As the review says a good mouthpiece (like a Meyer) makes all the difference.

If you are lucky, you can get a used YAS275 (Yamaha alto) for about £350 from ebay.

I've got one now. I bought a (used) Jupiter 500 series,. It arrived yesterday. Seems okay. I'm going to get my teacher to have look/blow but it seems okay. Just have to work out how to get the right sounds out of it! Thanks all for your help.

It's an alto. I think I might have to get it looked at as it doesn't seem to be able to get the notes out when I one of the levers on the back. I don't know what it's called (the one you press with your left thumb). One of the perils of buying unseen from the internet, I guess...... or it could be me, I don't know how to tell.

As you mention you are having lessons, I would get your teacher to take a look. They should be able to tell you instantly if something is wrong with it.

As you mention you are having lessons, I would get your teacher to take a look. They should be able to tell you instantly if something is wrong with it.

Thanks, I will, but I'm pretty sure that the lever is sticky. It doesn't always open or close. Hopefully it'll something that's easily sorted.

If it's the octave lever (left thumb), like all the others it should be free and easy. And depending on which other keys you press with it, either the neck pip or the pip on the body opens.

trevor james classic is a good student sax, it was my first sax and it can be for sale if you want to buy it???

I've got one now. I bought a (used) Jupiter 500 series,. It arrived yesterday. Seems okay. I'm going to get my teacher to have look/blow but it seems okay. Just have to work out how to get the right sounds out of it! Thanks all for your help.

I started with a Jupiter 500 - bought 2nd hand for £150, part-ex'ed for £150 when I upgraded to my Yani 901.
It was an excellent sax to start on. I was happy with it.
Hope you enjoy yours, Philly.

All the modern student horns such as the TJ's have great modern keywork etc and seem to be able to produce a lush soft lower tone (I speak as an alto player)and in fact the horn I started with was a TJ Classic (and I have since played all of their range up to the Custom Signature) but the horn which I have stuck with has been my Martin Handcraft - for some reason you can pick up them for next to nothing on ebay, but they are fantastic. They have a quite unique sound - the high notes have a kind of rounded singing tone which no other horn I have played even approaches. The vintage / modern debate will never be settled but for my money the Martin is the one - I would only ever consider replacing it with a Yamaha Custom Z or a Yani 992 bronze, and I don't have £2500 spare. You soon get used to the older keywork and so I don't miss much about the modern horns. Buy one as a beginner and you will never need to upgrade, with the advantage that you will know your horn inside out and get the very best out of it as you progress.

If it's the octave lever (left thumb), like all the others it should be free and easy. And depending on which other keys you press with it, either the neck pip or the pip on the body opens.

Well I've had the thing looked at, and there was a problem with it. It appears that there was a little vertical bar, just below the join with the crook bit, that was a bit skewiff. Could have been sold like that, or more likely caused during transit - it wasn't particularly well wrapped. But I found a local bloke who was able to fix it and give it a good service. He reckons it's a really good instrument and apart from that one problem is in really good condition. He played it and it sounded fantastic. So, nothing stopping me now. Currently trying to master 'Jingle Bells' (Lesson 8 of 'A Tune a Day)! Onward and upward, eh?

Thanks for all our advice.

Good to hear. Little bends can cause big problems with playing. Loking forward to hearing your progress! Those starter tunes are sometimes painful!

Back
Top Bottom