support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Which one - YTS 23/25/32

Paul

Hi all, i currently play alto sax and am looking to buy a tenor. I have 3 in mind a Yamaha 23 / 25 / 32.
What is the difference between the three, and as all are in a similar condition and price which would be the best buy.
thanks in anticipation
Paul.T

Thanks for the reply. I think reading other posts here that the yts25 replaced the 23 and the 32 replaced the 25 but i'm not sure.
The yts 25 has the high F# key wheras the 23 does not , and i'm not sure about the 32.
I am in France and the prices are all between £4-600. I am currently playing a Buffet Crampon 400 alto (matt finish) and love it.
Just thought i would have a go at a tenor,thanks for the reply
Paul

Not quite right. The 21, 23 and 25 were the 'student' range, the 32 the 'intermediate', whatever these categorisations mean. They're actually all good (I've not had a tenor one, but have had half a dozen alto equivalents). I'd say try whatever comes to hand and buy whatever you like the sound of.

I have had a YTS32 back in the days when I played tenor. My only reason for letting it go was that I now play exclusively alto.
Although the 32 was marketed as an intermediate instrument I thought that the one I had was every bit as good as any pro horn I tried. I now use a YAS32 alto and I am happy with it.
Regards
O.C.V.

Hi all, i currently play alto sax and am looking to buy a tenor. I have 3 in mind a Yamaha 23 / 25 / 32.
What is the difference between the three, and as all are in a similar condition and price which would be the best buy.
thanks in anticipation
Paul.T

I had a YTS 23, found it a super sax, the 32 is a slightly "better" model, equivalent to the modern 475/575. I play a YAS 32 alto and like it very much. From the three you list I would take the 32.

Many thanks for the contributions. I believe the yts23 does not have the high f key do you think it will make much difference when making comparisons. Also to answer Justin, i would love to match up my Buffet alto with athe tenor but at around a £1000 pounds
i'm trying to listen to my head for once and resist. I thought one of the above yamahas would be a nice introduction to tenor experience without spending too much.
thanks again
Paul

I don't think it'll be missing the front F - the difference in the keys between these saxes is the high F# - the 23 series won't have it, the others will. Matters not a jot - most vintage saxes don't have a high F#, including most of the esteemed (read ridiculously fawned over) Selmer MkVIs.

Many thanks for the contributions. I believe the yts23 does not have the high f key do you think it will make much difference when making comparisons. Also to answer Justin, i would love to match up my Buffet alto with athe tenor but at around a £1000 pounds
i'm trying to listen to my head for once and resist. I thought one of the above yamahas would be a nice introduction to tenor experience without spending too much.
thanks again
Paul

The YTS32 does have a high F#, (or my YAS32 does) the YTS 23 does not.. the 25 being a "newer" model may well have but I dont know.

In some ways I prefer the old 23 to present 82z.

thanks again
Paul
Could you not try your price matching excercise again and see if Alan Gregory comes up trumps on the Buffet tenor too?
BTW, my matt BC8401 alto is on its way to me this week. I DID manage to find a 2nd hand one.

thanks in anticipation
Paul.T

If you can get your fists on a YTS 61 it is without doubt (in my little mind!) the best horn yamaha ever made. Cos they stopped making them in the late '70s replacing it with the Mk1 YTS62, they are just amazing value for the price. and they sound & play fantastic!

I have had a YTS32 back in the days when I played tenor. My only reason for letting it go was that I now play exclusively alto.
Although the 32 was marketed as an intermediate instrument I thought that the one I had was every bit as good as any pro horn I tried. I now use a YAS32 alto and I am happy with it.
Regards
O.C.V.
I bought O.C.V.'s 32 and can say it is one of the best horns I owned (and I've had a few), I had a 21 as well (forerunner of the 23/25/etc.), these were early purple logo ones and were both excellent, I would still have the 32 if I hadn't bought a old Conn to renovate and sell which turned out to be "the one" so the 32 had to go, it was a little gem, a credit to the previous owner.

as I remember the brochure, the YTS 23, 32 and 62 were identical material / acoustically / bore / dimensions etc, apart from the highF# on the62 (and 32?) , all 3 had different fittings , finish & engraving options though.
YTS23 was my first Tenor, I liked it, but EVERYONE commented on my improved sound after I got my first Selmer tenor [ a '49 SBA]

... if I hadn't bought a old Conn to renovate and sell which turned out to be "the one" s...

Yep, those old Conn tenors will do that to ya'....