Tutorials

Microphones Which mic?

Col

Been thinking of buying a clip-on mic and then my son helps me make my mind up by un-screwing my Shure 57 and breaking all the wires, £50 to repair. Bless, him, he's 4 years old and got an inquisitive mind!

This gives me the excuse I've been waiting for to buy a new clip-on. I've got a short-list of Audi-Technica Pro -35, Audio Technica ATM 350 (which is a bit expensive for me right now) and the Samson HM40P (which I known nothing about, but like the price). I've got a Samson CO1U USB which is great.

Does anyone have a Samson HM40P, and if so are they any good? I'm playing pubs; blues, soul and funk.

Pjonah

Do you really want a clip on?

I'd stick with the old faithful SM57, personally it gives you a focus point to aim the bell at and allows some privacy.

Just my opinion though, so feel free to take no notice;}

dooce

I've got the Pro-35 clip-on and an SM-57 - and I much prefer the Shure for sound quality. I haven't quite got as far yet as selling the clip-on, but I haven't used it since I bought the SM-57.

OP
Col

Col

Do you really want a clip on?

I'd stick with the old faithful SM57, personally it gives you a focus point to aim the bell at and allows some privacy.

Just my opinion though, so feel free to take no notice;}
I agree and with one band I play with I'll use my wife's SM58 as I often don't know what we're playing until it starts, and then I have to work out which key. So privacy is important.

With my main band I know the material really well and it's more importnat to be able to move about (turn my head even) to watch the other members of the band, plus I like dancing around a bit:w00t:

I'm on the verge of buying the Samson but just wondered if anyone had one?

OP
Col

Col

I've taken your advice and bought another SM57 through e-bay.

Thinking about it tone is always more important than looking at the band (who are pug-ugly anyway), I'll leave the clip-on until I've got cash to spare and can get a good one, like SD Systems.

Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom