Where's the weirdest place you've played?

Taz

Busking Oracle
I played a gig this weekend for a joint 50th 21st and 18th birthday party. We were made to feel extremely welcome and then showed to where we were to set up our gear. It was a three sided barn in the middle of a field! We all thought that it was going to be a lousy gig, but to our great relief it was a fabulous gig and we went down a treat! :thankyou:
My question is this (and I suspect the likes of Jules to astound us all) what is the wierdest...strangest...most bizarre venue that you've ever :sax: played in?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Hm- various barns, backs of trucks, a club in a canal barge in peterborough, the redout fort in eastbourne- bit like playing in the bottom of a cooling tower- deeply wierd acoustics... but the winner is..... this years' Latitude festival... playing in a suburban lounge, built in the middle of a wood- 3 piece suite, working tv, plaster duck and... er... trees! Why?.... no idea, but the organizers had done a great job of creating a slightly Alice in Wonderland vibe to the whole site

OP
Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
:))):))):))) Thanks Jules, somehow I just knew you wouldn't let me down. :D

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
My old keyboard player once played a gig- with his cajun band- on the deck of the Greenpeace's ship Rainbow Warrior, while it was docked in Scotland. Always thought that was a particularly good one.....

Linky Lee

The Portsmouth University Big Band did a gig a couple years back in the captains Headquarters on the Warrior (it's always docked in Portsmouth to go and have a look round). Lovely ship, rubbish gig.

Have also played outside in my back garden when it was snowing.

We held a music festival about 3 years back at my local pub, but the stage was a lorry with the side opened up in the car park with another lorry behind it used as 'backstage' that was an awesome 3 days. I did the sound tech there too.

I've found a funk band over here in Germany who I've started playing regularly with. We have a rehearsal room in the basement of the old town train station which is quite an odd venue.

I don't know if I'm allowed to write here where the strangest gig was. Rainbow pub. shall we say... variety night

visionari1

Well. I ve had a couple of really weird ones, in Japan, once while hitchhiking, was asked to play for 5 minutes while we drove to his destination...30 minutes later he was still driving.... Another one was playing Auld Lang Syne to a large sister City meeting in Miyazu, while they all sang in Japanese.

cheers
Jimu:mrcool

AlanU

Not weird so much as odd, and not terribly pleasant.

About twenty five years ago playing the Cornwall county showground in Wadebridge. Big stage and effective PA.
A vast hangar of a place that had just been hosed out after the judging of the cattle.

It must have been a good gig, fifty million flies can't be wrong.

ps. Isn't it always the way? The ones that you're not up for, or seem unpromising, always turn out the best?
I have a theory about that.

Martin

Not exactly a venue, but certainly an odd place to play...

Years ago, I sailed in the national 470 sailing dinghy championships, held at Weymouth. One windless day, the word went around that Princess Anne would be watching the days racing from a motor yacht anchored by the start line. So I threw my old alto in the dinghy and whilst we were drifting around waiting for the race to start, I played the national anthem (as loudly as possible) for her, followed by anything and everything that I could think of. Huge rounds of applause from the other competitors and a boat full of journalists came over to film me.

Surprise, surprise, I saw myself on the six o’clock evening news later that day!

Richard Perks

Played in a place called "The Igloo" in the 60's and the feature was topless Go Go dancers..... They might as well have been.:)))

How about DisneyWorld in the 70's??:D

Played for a strip show (not again!!!) in the 80's. In the Officers Mess at Comox, B.C. and it was a mixed dinner with wives.... Quite a big rocket came down about that one.:mrcool

Of course there was the ' Hells Angels" dance in the 90's but that was pretty tame.>:) 2 of us (not me!!!) decided to sell kisses, to the ladies, they made quite a lot of money.:welldone:welldone

Richard Perks

oops have another one: Called to play a gig with our 4 piece band and when we got there the boat we were supposed to play on was to small to get all the equipment on board, so naturally we were down to one snare drum a piano, already on board, bass and me...... great gig but they wanted us to sail to Vancouver with them.....
took a bit of talking to get off, with the money.....:thankyou::thankyou:

Top Bottom