M/Pieces - Ligs Where to test mouthpieces by mail

TomMapfumo

Hi Brian.

Did you get the PM I sent suggesting two possibilities? The best seems to be the WWBW scheme (Woodwind and Brasswind). It may also be an option to pick one up on eBay that fits what you are looking for - I note that there was a V16 5M Alto mouthpiece for about $70. The other alternative is to contact a mouthpiece maker (like Phil, of PhilTone fame, and describe what you are looking for. I would suggest that it is useful to have at least 3 mouthpieces, so that you can gradually see which one emerges as the right sound for you, and a trial may be too short to achieve this. On both Alto and Tenor I have owned and played several mouthpieces before being able to see which one I prefer.

So, as someone who has had to buy first, and then try after, it has worked out OK. Final thought - see what JunkDude has in stock.

Good luck!
Tom:cool:

TomMapfumo

There is a "barely played" Meyer 5 Alto piece on eBay.com for $85 (Buy it Now) as we speak - may be worth a purchase! Also GW Meyer, and V16 HR pieces at similar prices all worth a punt, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

Brian_B

Hi Brian.

Did you get the PM I sent suggesting two possibilities? The best seems to be the WWBW scheme (Woodwind and Brasswind). It may also be an option to pick one up on eBay that fits what you are looking for - I note that there was a V16 5M Alto mouthpiece for about $70. The other alternative is to contact a mouthpiece maker (like Phil, of PhilTone fame, and describe what you are looking for. I would suggest that it is useful to have at least 3 mouthpieces, so that you can gradually see which one emerges as the right sound for you, and a trial may be too short to achieve this. On both Alto and Tenor I have owned and played several mouthpieces before being able to see which one I prefer.

So, as someone who has had to buy first, and then try after, it has worked out OK. Final thought - see what JunkDude has in stock.

Good luck!
Tom:cool:
Yea, I tried WWBW but couldn't figure out how to test mouthpieces. Do you have to call them and ask for a trial?

TomMapfumo

Hi Brian!

It does seem with WWBW as with several other places that you buy first and can return them for a full or near full refund after 7-10 days. I note that several makers have a similar policy so it may be an idea to buy 2 or 3, try them out and then return those you don't like.

Agree that WWBW doe snot seem straightforward - I recommend JunkDude and you can always email first to say what you are needing by way of trials etc. The chap at Junkdude is helpful and they do stock Meyer, Ponzol, Morgan Vandoren and others - should be fairly straightforward.

As I am in the UK I have actual experience to go on here, which has been good so far.

Top Bottom