All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Accessories Where to source this type of case latch

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
It's called a toggle latch.
You either contact the case manufacturer for spares...or you have to trawl through google images or ebay until you stumble across something that looks similar. Then you have to make sure it's the right size.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
The problem is all the toggle latches I can find do not have that very specific locking feature, which is what I'm after. I don't think the case manufacturer would give away the source of their latches to what may be a competitor.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
Ahhh, I see your predicament. What you're after is a safety toggle latch.
You probably won't find the exact one as shown, but there are certainly alternatives. It just means hours of browsing through toggle manufacturers' online catalogues.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
Ahhh, I see your predicament. What you're after is a safety toggle latch.
You probably won't find the exact one as shown, but there are certainly alternatives. It just means hours of browsing through toggle manufacturers' online catalogues.
Easier done then said.

I particlularly like this one. When the soprano arrived I spent a good 10 minutes scratching my head wondering why it wouldn't open, so that seems it may be quite secure from others with nefarious intentions.

Not that I'm a good benchmark for intelligent puzzle solving :)

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
With no wish to attract the ire of any anti-globalists, you might try Ali Baba. They have almost anything, although you can't always buy a single unit. So much is made in China these days, that you might actually be surprised.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
can't see anything like this on Ali baba

The problem is the word locking seems to either mean you need a key, or there is a hole through which you can put a padlock.

Nothing looks like the one in my video that has a very simple and elegant lock (although it isn't really a lock in that once you know how to solve the puzzle , you can open it it.

So I don't believe it would actually be described as locking.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Also, most of the products require a minimum order of 2,000 >:)

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
Also, most of the products require a minimum order of 2,000 >:)
Most of them will send samples, but I can see none of them do the clever thing shown in the video.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
Yup, hence 'safety', which means the latch features a....err...latching mechanism.
It's more than just safety though. I believe that would mean it can't accidentally come unlatched by catching on your cardigan.

This one is safety:

But is very very obvious how to release it.

Mind you at the end of the day working out howe to undo the latch is a bit moot, when any thief would just nick the case as well.

My main point is that I really like that specific safety latch - it would stop a toddler from opening the case for start.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
Mind you I can imagine someone at customs scratching their head over how to undo it, giving up and getting out the angle grinder.

Vetinari

Subscriber
Locality
East Manchester
The manufacturer may not tell you who the supplier is but they may sell you a replacement catch

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
The manufacturer may not tell you who the supplier is but they may sell you a replacement catch
I'm sure they will, but I don't want a replacement, I want to buy wholesale from the supplier. For CafesaxophoneTM cases.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6