support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Where to go?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
A friend from work plays bass guitar in a couple of bands. One does mostly pop standards, the other blues, again mstly standards. Our Sommerfest (summer party) is coming up, and his bands will be the main entertainment. He's never heard me play, but has offered me the chance to do a couple of numbers with whichever band it fits best, they'll back me and I lead :w00t: ... So far so good, heaven sent opportunity, which I intend to grab, even if it's in front of a well known crowd (they'll probably be hammering the bier tent, so maybe not so bad)!

However.... He threw in a curved ball - Take Five. Not sure if he was saying that was the standard required, or just trying to get a feel for my level - or extracting the ... He's happy for me to play things like summertime, but pretty much gave me carte blanche for pieces to play. No way I'm going to be able to play that by then (even if I can find a tenor version).

So what to do? Was thinking of trying a few older, but slower rock things - like Rock Around the Clock, Blue Suede Shoes... Will things like this work played as sax solos? Or should I aim to arrange it so we've a singer covering it, but do the lead bits that maybe a guitar would nomally do on the sax? And arrange it so there's a few bars for a sax solo?

ight now I feel as if I'm walking through a minefield, trying to detect the mines with my toes...

half diminished

Kev

Awesome! What about old favourites like Moritat (Mac the Knife) or some Beetles - Eleanor Rigby, When I am 64, Hey Jude? I've been wanting to have ago at Pick Up The PIeces and Take 5 but I'm not there yet either!

TomMapfumo

"Watermelon Man" (Herbie Hancock), "Work Song" (Nat Adderley), "Minor Chant" (Stanley Turrentine) would all be really good, simple enough bluesy tunes.
Do Spotify them, see what you think. I have the music in Bb which I could PDF to you. It also has the piano backing which would be useful for guitar/bass.

Let me know.
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

jonf

Moondance usually goes down well, and it's pretty straightforward.

Tom's suggestion for Watermelon man is spot on as well. Great tune.

thomsax

A friend from work plays bass guitar in a couple of bands. One does mostly pop standards, the other blues, again mstly standards. Our Sommerfest (summer party) is coming up, and his bands will be the main entertainment. He's never heard me play, but has offered me the chance to do a couple of numbers with whichever band it fits best, they'll back me and I lead :w00t: ... So far so good, heaven sent opportunity, which I intend to grab, even if it's in front of a well known crowd (they'll probably be hammering the bier tent, so maybe not so bad)!

However.... He threw in a curved ball - Take Five. Not sure if he was saying that was the standard required, or just trying to get a feel for my level - or extracting the ... He's happy for me to play things like summertime, but pretty much gave me carte blanche for pieces to play. No way I'm going to be able to play that by then (even if I can find a tenor version).

So what to do? Was thinking of trying a few older, but slower rock things - like Rock Around the Clock, Blue Suede Shoes... Will things like this work played as sax solos? Or should I aim to arrange it so we've a singer covering it, but do the lead bits that maybe a guitar would nomally do on the sax? And arrange it so there's a few bars for a sax solo?

ight now I feel as if I'm walking through a minefield, trying to detect the mines with my toes...
Old Rock 'n' Roll songs are very good for saxplayers. Chuck Berry, CCR/John Fogerty .... fits the tenorsax perfect. You can easy arrange the song with a 8 bars solo and then play fillings between the singing lines, riffs ....... .

Try (songs with lyrics): Memphis (Chuck Berry), Johnny B Good (Chuck Berry), Dimples (John Lee Hooker), Ain't No Sunshine (Bill Whiters), Moondance (Van Morison), Twist and Shout (Beatles?), When A Man loves a Woman (Percy Sledge) ...... and (instrumentals) Hot Cha (Jr Walker), Cleos Mood (Jr Walker) ....... .

Listen to the original recordings but there are lots of other good versions. When I learned a Jr Walker song I picked up more ideas from other saxplayers. If you are going to play Hot Cha listen to Jr Walker .... but both Don Wise and King Perkoff have great versions ..... .

Just one more thing, often when you play guitarbased Rock-music with a band you may have to play in the keys A or E (concert) !!!!! I like it, but other saxplayers hate it ?!?!?!

Thomas

OP
kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Jon, Thomas, thanks, some great ideas and advice. Am goign to watch the keys very carefully. Those two examples are rather scary at the moment. Am lucky, I asked about keys and was told don't worry, you lead and we'll follow, key doesn't matter.... I'm still amazed at the opportunity here!

saxnik

Maybe try some Blues Brothers type numbers - they always go down well with the crowd, Everybody Needs Somebody or Sweet Home Chicago?
You could maybe go for Flip Flop and Fly (the version I do on stage is in Bb concert, so C for you!).
Either way get those blues scales working and you'll be fine, have fun!

Andante cantabile

For the aspiring musician Rod Stewart's Sailing is hard to beat. About twenty years ago the BBC produced a documentary series about life on RN aircraft carrier. This was chosen as the theme song. If you play this, you will get the strong support of RN personnel. Honestly, suggestions don't come much better than this.

OP
kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
:)))Thanks for the extra ideas. I remember Sailing well, including the original by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, which was slower and (for me) better! Got enough for a complete concert so far... Blues brothers are great, so's Watermelon man. Just wating for someone to suggest "The Girl from...".

Taz

Busking Oracle
If you want a good and easy show stopper, you can't go far wrong with Little Richards "Lucille" It's got great rhythm, a good back line of sax and then a fantastic (and easy) solo. It's just my opinion but I love doing it with the Zephyrs!

OP
kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Thanks Taz. Read you blog the other day, couldn't comment, not sure why. Guess I'm going your way, hope I don't make a fool of myself... Will take a look at that one.

dooce

Hi Kev - just as a matter of interest, why do you think you can't crack Take 5? I must admit, I thought the same way till I gave it a go and it's not actually that difficult. OK, 5/4 is a bit off the wall first time you try it but once you get into it it really swings.

OP
kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Perhaps it's being overly cautious. I struggle in 3/4 instead of 4/4 at the moment....

I'll have a try, can't do any harm. And no commitment to buy...

Top Bottom