PPT mouthpieces

When you practice

Do you most often practice

• Total voters

Account Closed
Just another idle bit of curiosity, as I finish my usual morning practice session.
I rarely sit, regardless of instrument. When I practice the alto, most times I walk around the studio, unless I'm tired. I might stand still to concentrate on some particular challenge, but mostly I walk and stop, walk and stop. I also usually walk an hour a day, so it's not a hard thing to do.

I'm a fidget and can't stand still and play. Feels restricted. I'll wander unless I'm transcribing riffs then I'll sit or perch on the corner of desk or something

I don't really have one position. I sit while reading, stand during long tone and overtone exercises and while practicing improv. I also tend to walk around. Since my wife has been working from home during the quarantine, I have been relegated to our finished attic. Lots of space up there to wander around while playing.

I can only play standing up, I hate the restriction of sitting and feel my playing has no soul. My playing also suffers if I stand still, which is why I've insisted on getting wireless mics.

It's obvious you like to "swing".
Only on special occasions:
cats on swing.jpg

I nearly always stand still. During long tones I usually close my eyes to better concentrate. I think of it as a form of meditation. I'll often close my eyes when playing expressive ballads, too.

I've exercised daily all my life. I have a circuit of all-over-body kettleball exercises + bike riding + long walks. I think exercises are very important for breath support (cardio + trunk both back and front), and muscular endurance for playing (fingers, hands, wrists, arms, shoulders, chest, upper and lower back, legs, too).

I sit because (a) it's one less thing to worry about (b) I can't see the music on the stand otherwise.

One gross thing happened yesterday - I felt a wet patch on my thigh. Clearly I was producing an inordinate amount of spit that day for some reason, evidenced when I finished and deciding to upend the horn. Wouldn't have noticed that if I were standing. :(

I sit because (a) it's one less thing to worry about (b) I can't see the music on the stand otherwise.

One gross thing happened yesterday - I felt a wet patch on my thigh. Clearly I was producing an inordinate amount of spit that day for some reason, evidenced when I finished and deciding to upend the horn. Wouldn't have noticed that if I were standing. :(
That happens to me all the time. I’ definitely produce a better sound while standing but find playing my straight soprano difficult to do so I sit up straight on a stool. Every once in a while I get up and walk around. It also depends how long I’m playing for.

It's not only spit. The vast majority is moisture from your exhaled breath, condensing in the cold saxophone. For me, once practice gets beyond about 30 minutes, I need to briefly wipe inside the soprano bell every now and then with a cloth else moisture will start dripping.

Puddles may be an exaggeration. This said, what I notice is that the amount of whatever that liquid is depends on what you eat and drink. I had a nice glass of rum cocktail in a restaurant and started to play and the Bb bis key pads were sticking down briefly almost right away.