All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Whats up guys? new up and coming indiana tenor tamer? wait...thats me!

johnnyboy46

Im new to the site, so i thought id say hey. Im playing a cannonball big bell with t77 mouthpiece. Any reed suggestions?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Is that the Vandoren V16 Metal mouthpiece with a T77 opening? It's pretty wide to be starting on.

If it is, I'd suggest you start with the softest reeds you can find - Vandoren 1.5s or Rico 2s, and work up a little when you get it under control. Maybe start with the V16 reeds as well.

johnnyboy46

ive been playing for a while, and play a v16 3.5 . gets a great meaty sound, but i wondered if there was a different brand of reeds i should try.
also, looking for a new long tones excersise. any suggestions?

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Hi Johnny,
I'd get hold of Pete's "Taming the Saxophone" there are some testing exercises in there, some to brighten up the tedium of long tones.
You are warmly welcomed.
Andrew

Pyrografix

Senile Member
I can't offer you any reed advice, but can welcome you aboard the madness that is Cafe Saxophone!

Cheers,

Amanda

TomMapfumo

ive been playing for a while, and play a v16 3.5 . gets a great meaty sound, but i wondered if there was a different brand of reeds i should try.
Hi Johnny and a Big Welcome to the Cafe!

Reeds that are a good alternative to the V16 are either Alexander NY or Rico Jazz Select Unfiled. If you want something a bit different - which I find particularly suited to Jazz, then I would recommend Marca Jazz, Alexander DC, and Rigotti Gold. Having played all of them I would say that they outstrip the V16's which I started off playing on Alto & Tenor. They were meaty, as you describe, but feel that the other options have a little more complexity and colour.

Hope that is helpful.
Kind regards
Tom

I used to have a T77 in my earlier days, just felt it was not a good combo with my then Yani T901, which I exchanged for my current System 54 which I much prefer.

BigMartin

Im new to the site, so i thought id say hey. Im playing a cannonball big bell with t77 mouthpiece. Any reed suggestions?
Welcome. I definitely recommend using a reed ;}. Helps to avoid an excessively breathy tone.

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, JB46.

I can honestly say that most members of the forum recommend using a reed, it is just that I sound better without one. :)

ENJOY!

trimmy

One day i will...
Welcome to the cafe johnyboy46 :)

No help from reed choice from me as i get my info from here :confused:

Enjoy :)

Taz

Busking Oracle
Blow harder? Sorry, welcome to the cafe, I'm sure you'll find this a chilled and pleasant place to be!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Sorry, I didn't realise from your post - seemed to be a nwebie...

I like RJS Filed. But there are lots of others.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom