support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

whats the going rate?

I'm afraid I don't feel there is enough info here

1) Has the conductor been brought in to lick the band into shape to allow them to perform at paid gigs at a professional level

2)Was this scenario discussed at the time the appointment was made and if a large amount goes to the conductor is this the real pay off for services rendered and payments for rehearsals only looked on as expenses

3)who gets any or all of the £800 when it is paid to those who run the band

4)Do the players in the band see any of this money or are they volunteers

5)Who pays any expenses involved in getting the band to the giggs and paying for rehearsal rooms etc

6)When you say having been paid for rehearsals I take it you mean the conductor and not the band is this correct and is this a small amount or a very large sum ?

When the band was started 5 years ago, we persuaded a local music teacher to conduct. He had such a full work load that he couldn't give it his all so we looked for a replacement. We found the current leader, who also leads another local big band. He has brought our band up to a very good standard and works hard with us.

Any money that is over after expenses is put into the band fund for new equipment, music etc. None of the members get any. We all transport ourselves so costs are kept to a minimum.

He gets paid £30 an hour for rehearsals and we dont pay for rehearsal space as we have an arrangement with the venue to provide them with a free gig each year.

The only person that gets paid is the conductor.

I am not sure if the terms were discussed or he said that this is what he wanted.

Occasionally we may have to pay deps if someone cant make a gig but we do try and get volunteer deps when we can.

Dave

Very informative

Next question do you wish to reward your conductor for services rendered and don't want to offend him by seeming stingy, or are you offended by a demand made by the conductor, or an amount paid to the conductor you feel is far too generous given to him by the powers that be...john

fees

The conductor has not asked for anything different than the terms of 5 years ago. This all stems from the guy who started the band and has managed absolutely everything over past 5 years, standing down (he is still playing). We have now formed a committee and looked at the books, we are broke. The cost of the conductor is our biggest expense. We know that subs are going to have to go up but want to see if with some better housekeeping we can build the kitty up so that we can have some back up cash for emergencies.

The reason for the initial question was really to see what the going rate is for this type of service so that we dont go in demanding that he takes a paycut when what he gets is the normal rate.

Just trying to be prepared before the meeting really

Dave

I would never pretend to be an expert on this subject but I personally think the £30 seems reasonable to get a professional to conduct you.I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma and hope you can turn things around have you considered applying to the Arts Council for a grant to help you fund your band or some other local QUANGO,you would be surprised how many there are set up to help things like this...john

arts council

We did get a lottery grant about 18 months after we started, which we bought our own p.a setup and music with, but applying to the arts council is something we hadnt thought about. we will investigate further and see what comes up.

I think we are looking at offering him 50% if he brought the gig in and a set fee for all others. We will see, he is a reasonable chap, just dont really want any bad feeling between either side.

Thanks

Dave