SYOS

What's happened?

Colin the Bear

Something has happened recently that I'm at a loss to identify. My recordings used to be a bit hit and miss sound wise. Just lately they all seem to be coming out very satisfactory. Sax and voice seem to be captured clearly.

I've been sticking to a USB condenser that I bought used and very cheaply because I wanted the case for another mic. I noticed recently that the Laptop wasn't recognising the mic every time so I decided to use a different usb socket. Can the USB socket affect sound capture?

I've been meaning to re arrange this backing track for ages and finally got round to it today. I seem to be on a lucky streak at the mo. BiaB is working better than ever, the Rico reserve reeds are performing well, the mic is great, Alto is playing in tune, Voice is booming, cough has gone...Any way here's today's effort.

https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear%2Fbrother-can-you-spare-a-dime-cm-8in-3xend View: https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/brother-can-you-spare-a-dime-cm-8in-3xend

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Enjoy your well-earned success :sax:

I assume that a USB socket will affect sound quality if it is throwing away some of the input from the microphone. It might be something simple like the USB plug and the socket not connecting properly. That would also explain why the computer wasn't always recognising the mic.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I've been meaning to re arrange this backing track for ages and finally got round to it today. I seem to be on a lucky streak at the mo. BiaB is working better than ever, the Rico reserve reeds are performing well, the mic is great, Alto is playing in tune, Voice is booming, cough has gone...Any way here's today's effort
Long may it continue :)

Jx

D

Deleted member 6182

the magnetic field from the speakers is affecting your laptops usb mic
try putting the laptop behind the speakers.

Greg Strange

Excellent - really enjoyed that - song from the late great E.Y. Harberg of Over The Rainbow fame. In Simon Schama's documentary "The Story of the Jews" he interviews E.Y.'s grandson about his grandfather growing up in NYC in poverty and eventually his success in the music business.
Shalom,
Greg S.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
It never ceases to amaze me how hard it is to sound easy. ;)
You may have a mix of USB 2and 3 ports
Does a mix of USB 2 and 3 ports make it easier or harder to sound easy?:headscratch:

@Alice has just told me that it is the hat that is really important for playing the saxophone well.
Now @tenorviol is saying it is getting ones USB ports aligned. I'm confused. :oops:
I still suspect it's the ligature that really matters.

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Does a mix of USB 2 and 3 ports make it easier or harder to sound easy?:headscratch:

@Alice has just told me that it is the hat that is really important for playing the saxophone well.
Now @tenorviol is saying it is getting ones USB ports aligned. I'm confused. :oops:
I still suspect it's the ligature that really matters.
It does indeed! I’ve got two mouthpieces and two ligatures for my alto and one won’t work on the other and both have to be in different places to get a sound out. If it’s slightly out, I can only play air without sound no matter what hat I wear but wearing a beret and shades does make me play better jazz and then wearing a fedora and shades makes me play better Blues :p :cool::rofl::mrcool

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
:headscratch: That gets me thinking! I never tried playing with red socks... Ah, that's because I don't have any. I need to fix that horrible mistake and match the socks with my favorite strap for tenor. I wonder how I've been able to play anything without! :w00t::confused2:

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
:headscratch: That gets me thinking! I never tried playing with red socks... Ah, that's because I don't have any. I need to fix that horrible mistake and match the socks with my favorite strap for tenor. I wonder how I've been able to play anything without! :w00t::confused2:
It must take you an hour to choose a mouthpiece!

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
It must take you an hour to choose a mouthpiece!
Nah! I usually have a current favorite. At the moment I'm focussing on tenor and my favorite is a Brilhart Tonalin that I had refaced by our almost French member @Phil . He did a great job on a mouthpiece that didn't cost me much but was unplayable due to a prior amateurish tip widening... Now it's still quite open (120) but easy to play with a 2.5 reed. Even my teacher liked it!

I found a nickname for my mouthpiece organizer: The harem. :p

OP
Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

You may have a mix of USB 2and 3 ports
That may be something to do with it. I can't find the spec for the laptop but I seem to remember it had twos and threes. I have a sneaking suspicion that a windows 10 update may be involved too.

As far as hats go it has to be a pork pie for me and cider the night before or often during.

Top Bottom