All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs what tip opening?

fibracell

What tip opening should I use on soprano? I use either 108 or 110 on tenor and 77 on alto. I have a basic mpc (babbitt supreme) on sop, but have no idea of the tip.

Are there any general guidelines of what size tip you should use, based on what you use on alto or tenor? I once heard that there should be a difference of 20 going from sop to alto to tenor.

thanks !

- Rob

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
As far as I am concerned there is no hard and fast rules - whatever you feel comfortable in playing...

I use a C.E. Winds "The Legend" 0.105 on my Yamaha tenor, a vintage Brilhart Level Aire 6* (approx. 0.100) on my Walstein tenor, a Jody Jazz Jet 6 (0.80) on my Yamaha alto and on my sopranos I use a mixture of mouthpieces that range from Yamaha 4C (approx. 0.047?), Bari Esprit, Otto Link 5* HR (0.055), Meyer 5M and Eugene Rousseau SJ6 - here's a chart here...

http://www.bill-lewington.com/charts/sopsax.htm

Try a bunch and see what mouthpiece you feel happy with...the soprano is a cantankerous beast at the best of times...good luck.

Cheers,

Greg S.

altissimo

Locality
leicester
it depends a lot on the type of mouthpiece - the facing length, baffle height, chamber size and what reed strength you're happy with, but generally around .060 - .070 is a reasonably comfortable tip for a sop mouthpiece. I'm currently using a .058 Bari HR on sop, although I also have a .060 Berg Larsen, a .065 Vandoren and a .080 Jody Jazz.
.080 is a bit much for me, but I don't practice sop very much. I use a .095 Lawton on alto and anything bigger than .110 on tenor makes my jaw ache

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Use the same number from the same range as a starting point. Many players prefer a slightly smaller tip on sop. So if you're playing an 8 on tenor try that on sop, and if it's not right experiment around there. If you like a piece and it's a bit big, a slightly softer reed will probably do the trick. I had a few to try at one stage. I could play all with different reed strengths, but couldn't make my mind up.I settled on the two closest numerically (not measurements) and eventually picked one. Was very close.

I also switched from rsj to marca jazz on sop, they played better.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I can't see that there can be any real rules, it all depends on preference. I use a 0115 on bari, 0.125 on tenor, 0.115 on C Mel, 0.078 on alto and 0.06 on sop. All just depends on preference.

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom