Sheet Music What study book should I get?

Hello everyone,

The two things I hate most about instrumental study are scales and the studies (list C pieces for the ABRSM-minded among you). However, having a clutch of Grade 8s in non-saxophone instruments, I have to reluctantly concede that they are pretty effective. Which book would people recommend that has a range of standards of saxophone studies that sound more like nice pieces than exercises? I'm much better at sticking with things that have some semblance of a tune.

Thanks xx

I'm doing a bit of that at the moment, but to push my technique on a bit I need to do the boring stuff too. I read music v fluently because of other music I've kept up while the saxophones have been gathering dust, so I'd like a bit of sheet music to help my fingers and playing catch up.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I'm doing a bit of that at the moment, but to push my technique on a bit I need to do the boring stuff too. I read music v fluently because of other music I've kept up while the saxophones have been gathering dust, so I'd like a bit of sheet music to help my fingers and playing catch up.
Try Eighty graded studies for saxophone. Some lovely pieces in there.

Colin the Bear

saxyjt

The definitive jazz collection by Hal Leonard has kept me entertained for almost a decade.
I just received my copy today and it looks like a very, very good resource at an excellent price.

10€ for ten years of entertainment, who can beat that?

It's for alto, but I'll copy/transpose to Bb as and when I have time. I'm a Musescore expert now!

Thanks a lot @Colin the Bear

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
Selected Studies for Saxophone by H. Voxman is excellent. If the technical demands are beyond your ability I recommend you work through the Rubank Advanced Method for Saxophone books 1 and 2. If you are really serious about developing a mastery of the saxophone you are going to have to work through some scales, scale patterns, and arpeggios. That is part of the pedagogy of all musical instruments except perhaps "campfire guitar". :)

David Michael

I don't look like that really
Subscriber
Has anyone ever looked at/used Paul DeVille's Universal Method for Saxophone? I've been using that amongst other things.

You can buy it on Amazon but you can get the PDF (as it's out of copyright).

Follow this link, click to open up the document, click the magnifying glass and you can download it in a variety of forms.

Top Bottom