Tutorials

What songs would you refuse to play?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Inspired by our drummer texting me suggesting that we add Brown Eyed Girl to our set. I replied that my lifeless corpse might be an obstacle.

Of course, if I'm depping in another band and they're giving me money, then I'll play absolutely anything (often through gritted teeth - does wonders for the tone).

However, in the bands I play with regularly, I feel I have a say in what we might play and regard it as perfectly justifiable to veto certain tunes.

BEG is just one (I'd love to drop MS and SHC as well but we've been doing them for so long I think I've missed my chance), there are many others, including one that deserves special mention - BS. The abbreviation is remarkably appropriate.

dooce

I have threatened to leave the band if they persist in rehearsing Midnight Train to Chicago. It could go either way.........

If they start on Knock on Wood, I'm definitely off.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Wonderful Tonight Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

It's a great tune when played properly, trouble is that no one ever knows how to start it or end it properly!!!!!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Stairway to Heaven would be my first refusal - I've never heard a cover that goes anywhere near being acceptable. Too many bands think they can do it - but commit murder.

As for Brown Eyed Girl, having seen it live by Mr M.... I guess it gets cliched, but for me still wonderful.

But if you want really repulsive stuff - Chirby Chirby Cheep Cheep, Tie a Yellow Ribbon, Sugar Sugar (Anyone been sick yet?) & Oble Di Obla Da. That should have set the standard - LOW

I once was asked to play "Rocking all over the world" ( in the key of A) at a rehearsal 4 hours before an evening gig by a band I was guesting with, I un-politely refused :). Still did the gig though, best tune was "New York state of mind", went down a storm.

Flip

how about "heard it through the grape vine" of course " the birdie song"and if I'm asked once more for "stand by me" there will be murder!

RedBottom

Baker Street! I have lost count of the number of people who, when I tell them I play the sax, ask me to play it. Can't, shan't, won't! I've never really seen what all the fuss is about with it and I don't even like it that much, so there's no way on earth I'm going to play it.

jonf

Baker Street! I have lost count of the number of people who, when I tell them I play the sax, ask me to play it. Can't, shan't, won't! I've never really seen what all the fuss is about with it and I don't even like it that much, so there's no way on earth I'm going to play it.
I last played it on request years ago. When I say I played it I mean that after the first couple of bars I segued into March of the Clowns. Bemusment all round but it seemed fitting to me.....

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Stairway to Heaven would be my first refusal - I've never heard a cover that goes anywhere near being acceptable. Too many bands think they can do it - but commit murder.

As for Brown Eyed Girl, having seen it live by Mr M.... I guess it gets cliched, but for me still wonderful.

But if you want really repulsive stuff - Chirby Chirby Cheep Cheep, Tie a Yellow Ribbon, Sugar Sugar (Anyone been sick yet?) & Oble Di Obla Da. That should have set the standard - LOW
Iam really lucky in that I have the greatest tutor in the world, we get along great and he is a real cool guy and great saxophonist.He sometimes brings little pieces for me to try and one day he turned up with about 3, one of them being Oobla di .Well I just coudn't stop myself ,even in my novice state I had to say YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING I'd rather Oobla di than play that.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom