support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones what sax do i have??? help lol

flukeyluke

After being away from the saxophone for too long i have decided to get back into learning this beautiful instrument again :) i just picked up a sax very cheep and mint but dont know what make/model it is??? i can not see any serial numbers just a circle with a H in it??

does anyone have any idea what make/ model this is?? i will try to get pictures later

i know its only a cheep one

thanks

I have just bought a jericho tenor sax, build quality doesnt match the tj, however its not far off, and it plays very very well,i believe its better player than saxes that cost above a thousand,and i have tried them .

When you're just starting, you won't be able to tell much difference between student horns and professional ones. You can't play well enough and your embouchure isn't developed enough to discern the differences. Later on, you will notice immediately.

The Jericho gets good reviews on here for its price and it comes with a good warranty. It's a good sax to start with. Buy a decent mouthpiece. The ones that come as standard are variable in quality and may prevent good progress.

thanks alot for the replies :) i have also been offered a very good condition boosey and hawks laflur alto sax...does anyone have any idea what these are like? and am i right in thinking it is a vintage sax? would it have the high f#? which would you rather between the jericho and boosey?

Thanks

Luke :)

You have to make that decision yourself. Everyone has different opinions and preferences. You need to check that anything you're offered plays properly as any repairs could be expensive. Try it out, see if you like it.

im asking from a quality point of view and would appreciate feedback from anyone who has used any of these saxophones :) the boosey is secondhand and i wouldnt want to pay over the top for it,the jericho is new so should be fine :)

all feedback on these 2 saxophones appreciated

The boosey and hawkes lafleur is what I started on back in the 1980's. It's a robust, simple, instrument that's easy to fix and reasonable intonation. I would liken it to driving a morris minor. It will get you where you're going but without style and economyI'm having a lot of sucess and pleasure from my gear4music alto tenor and soprano. They play in tune and are a quite well made Yani copy with good ergonomics and a much better action than the lafleur. Stay away from the ex display offers. You should be able to get a new one within your budget and have enough for a good student mouthpiece, which you will need.

thanks alot mmmmm think i will go for the jericho :) ive had a look on here but nothing in my price range :( i just want the best i can get for the money i have

thanks again

Luke

It's a sad fact that many vedors offer identical items for different prices and paying more doesn't equate to better quality or value. Buyers looking for quality feel that this is reflected in the price. This is not always the case.

A brand new instrument will come with a warranty giving some security. A used instrument may have issues and although they may be simple to correct it adds another variable. I'm always suspicious of relatively new SH instruments. Good ones are keepers. The Jericho has a proven track record from forum members with personal experience as does the G4M. A local dealer may feel safer but at almost twice the price , you're paying for it and it appears to be way over your budget.

Back
Top Bottom