support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Miscellaneous What other Woodwind do you have

Let's see. To be safe, I'm just going to list the one's my wife knows about not including those in my shop waiting for an overhaul/restoration some of which I may keep depending on how they turn out. I currently have an early Buffet/Evette Sheaffer soprano saxophone with the apogee system of trill keys, a re-manufactured Romanian tarogato, a Buffet R13 clarinet, a Yamaha model 221 flute, a Conn 10M tenor, and a 1950 Selmer SBA alto. I also have a high quality Native American flute made by a local manufacturer.

I forgot, I also have a flute in the shape of a turtle that plays a pentatonic scale that I bought in Mexico. I used to play it for my band class to demonstrate the different types of flutes until a 6th grade student said to me, "Mr. T, do you know what end of the turtle you are blowing into?"

A Pearl flute, an interesting Karl Hammerschmidt Klingson flute with metal head and ebony body, and a Victorian rosewood open-hole flute, all of which play; and an open hole rosewood and brass piccolo that doesn't. And even if it did would probably be impossible!

I have had a clarinet for about a month. The saxophone has been completely neglected in that time. I think I am in love with the clarinet, much as I curse it and look disgustedly at the reed when I make a squeak. I also have a Suzuki harmonica and a really cheap Yamaha 'fife'. That's about it. I would quite like a recorder larger than a descant.

I find Tenor recorders very hard to get the low notes without overblowing an octave , I`ve had both keyed and the better keyless type but give one a go Sushi , they sound lovely, as for squeaking, occupational hazard with the clarinet I`ve found, even when you can`t work out why its happened..

I bet that rosewood & brass piccolo is lovely Dooce, it must be fixable .. As for John`s 6th graders asking which end of the turtle you`re blowing , hmmm I hope they`re not being rude :shocked:

I`ve never tried a Digiridoo, probably couldn`t get a sound out of one

Looks like at some stage I`ll have to give the flute another go - the one I had briefly was a Mirage (Cheapo Chinese), it didn`t leak but I guess if the head (mouthpiece part?) wasn`t up to much it could have made matters worse , are these things like Saxes where you need to upgrade that part ?

To get the low notes on any recorder you have to breathe gently into it and make sure all holes are sealed. The low notes are mostly too quiet to be practical. Squeaks on the clarinet are more often than not a poor seal on the finger holes. I had to limit banjo and guitar playing when I took it up again. The hard skin on the fingers of the left hand that develops spoils the sealing of the pads. The condition of the skin of the fingers has to be maintained.

To get the low notes on any recorder you have to breathe gently into it and make sure all holes are sealed. The low notes are mostly too quiet to be practical.

Yeah, I know the Tenor`s lowest notes need breathing into so gently you can`t pitch it right and barely hear it - when I`m playing it at least, it`s one of the hurdles I never got over .. I find it a lot easier to seal finger holes on the Clarinet than the recorder, but then I`ve only got relatively cheap plastic recorders, one of the reasons I`m after a Mollenhauer descant (borrowed one and I played it a lot better and it sounded sweeter) . The Sopranino recorder is easily played end to end :)

Mainly a brass player but as well as saxes, I also have a Leblanc metal 'paper clip' Eb Contra clarinet.
I haven't found a real use for it yet but it is great fun to play.
It has a great raspy rumble all the way down to written bottom C (Eb concert) so lower than a bass sax lor a 4 string bass.

If its anything like a contra sax (or Sub contra evenmore so) , they start to sound less like tones and more like whalesong clicks & rumbles down there . Brass does sub-bass best IMO :)

I think the Eb contra clarinet has fairly clear pitch all the way down. From what I have read, this might not so much be the case with the larger Bb contrabass clarinet. My only complaint is a certain thinness in the break but that probably reflects my lack of experience on matters clarinet. Not as fat as my bari sax or tuba but also a more nimble, lighter sound. It doesn't project as well but less ponderous than a tuba.

Flute, Clarinet (can't play it), C blues harp (tried to play it nearly passed out :))) ) Descant recorder, Treble recorder (with the foot missing! :confused: )

A bass Clarinet is still very much on my Radar, not sure about anything lower but I bet its fun .

:thumb:
Tempted by the bass clarinet too. Sometime in the future. I was thinking about bass saxophones when I stumbled across the Eb contra clarinet on eBay. I was impressed by the range possible for the size of the instrument (paperclip style) which is sort of mid way between a bassoon and euphonium. It lacks an obvious repertoire but I can transpose. Haven't figured out an excuse to use it anywhere - yet.

Malerne, Corton, Cavalier (metal), Venus (German system) and no-name simple system Bb clarinets
Bamboo clarinet (don't ask)
Tarogato (not of the 1st quality)
Blessing flute
2 sets of bagpipes (English - one made by my own fair hands, one by Chris McNeilly)
Xaphoon
Saxinet
Bombarde
Half a dozen or so descant recorders, inc. a nice wooden Mollenhauer and 2 made by me
Aulos sopranino recorder
Yamaha and Aulos treble recorders
Aulos tenor recorder
A bunch of tin whistles
A couple of plastic fifes
Pan pipes
Harmonicas

A dozen saxes and a Conn trumpet just about complete my blowy things.

I`ve trimmed my Non-Sax woodwind back seriously - the only Clarinets which are left are the strange and ingenious Lyons-C (which may be sold as my need for a C has gone) and the Reinforced Grenadilla Hanson SE5 which is in the process of being upgraded to a Large Bore Rosewood T6 .. I have the plastic Recorders (Aulos Nino & Tenor and Yamaha Soprano) and a lovely USA made silver plated Emerson Flute (which I can`t play so will likely get sold too) ..

I guess all that will be left will be Hanson T6 Clarinet and the recorders unless a Bass Clarinet lands in my lap at the right price . I still want a nice wooden Descant - a Mollenhauer or Moecke

BTW Nick , Harmonicas aren`t woodwind, they`re Free reed Aerophones :D though they are "blowy things"

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom