What music for your funeral or commemoration (if any)?

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
I just got home from a funeral. I'm not sure who chose the music, but it was three very famous classical pieces. Probably either the deceased had no particular taste or whoever planned it threw it together from the top 10 list.

Let's hear your one piece or song or performance you'd like played, or your list. I do not intend to have a ceremony of any kind as I don't wish to be interred, but if I did, my choice would probably be Spiritual Live at the Village Vanguard.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7m5joZPP0U

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Here is a small selection of the music I would like. Two famous classical pieces:

A plea for forgiveness:

And the third of the Four Last Songs (Beim Schlafengehen - Going to sleep) to ensure that there won't be a dry eye in the house:

Last edited:

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Once upon a time.... I had a detailed plan for my obsequies... but that was a different universe to where I am now. If there was some sort of event, the list of musical options is quite long and could feature some Renaissance polyphony even though it would be a non-religious event. One contender is in fact C20th which is 'Greater Love' by John Ireland, which is one of the great cathedral anthems. I might post some more later...

View: https://youtu.be/sG8CztY5JcI

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
'Ten million green bottles standing on the wall'.
My entire fortune to be divided amongst those who sing every verse.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Short, so the small congregation aren't kept hanging around too long for the cold buffet. Simple, acoustic guitar and solo voice together tugging at Heart strings enough to draw those final few tears from friends and family (as if there hadn't been enough crying already!,,,) An Angelic voice, with just the odd touch of live, in the moment-ness about the recording to hint at human frailties. A sentimental lyric...and rapturous applause to end....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhRwNqybWog

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Great thread, @randulo! TBH, this is the first time I've ever thought about this. At 65 (almost) with an unhealthy lifestyle - I still maintain the illusion of being immortal :(, In general, I think a funeral service and the choice of funeral music should be left to the mourners It's their funeral, not mine (if I'm already dead). However, if I were to be granted a period of time to die, I would discuss my funeral preferences with my daughters. Perhaps I should anyway. Many of my choices are a minor key (sad) but the lyrics are ( I hope) positive.

I found it difficult to select a 'short-list' from the so many musical genres/pieces that I really like. I eventually decided on a) vocal artists that at one time or another had influenced me and of those b) sang songs that (lyrically) might fit into a funeral.

So this is my short-list (which is far too long for a service):

A powerful, piercing and positive reflection on life and death. I first heard 'Wayfaring Stranger' in the Belgium film "Broken Circle Breakdown". Veerle Baetens is the singer

I originally included a song by Eva Cassidy (who I really like) but it didn't quite come up to scratch for a funeral.

A jazzy treatment by the songmaster Paul Simon with a nod to my sax hero Michael Brecker on sax. A personal self-assessment ...

Mike

Last edited:

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Here's the other three:

Leonard Cohen (a massive influence during my guitar-playing years): If it be your will that I speak no more ...

Joni Mitchell: led me to jazz (Wayne shorter on sop sax)

Andrea Bocelli: an uplifting song

Mike ,,

Last edited:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I expect if I beat my wife to the final curtain then she'll pick a bunch of my recordings.
However, if I get to choose then I'd make everyone sit through the whole of Slightly All The Time off Soft Machine's Third.
Another fave is 'Is That All There Is' by Peggy Lee.
Then there's anything by Peter Brotzmann.

Top Bottom