All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs What metal mouthpiece to buy for my new Yamaya YTS 280?

siggsy

I have just bought a brand new Yamaha YTS 280 Tenor and came with a Yamaha 4C mouthpice which is obviously not great. I really like my Jazz sound and want a metal mouthice so have been reading up about Jody Jazz and Otto Link.
As the Sax only cost me £1000 i was thinking of spending no more than £200. Is a metal mouthpiece going to make a big difference to getting a better sound and will there be much difference to a £100 mouthpiece to a £500 mouthpice bearing in mind the quality of the Sax?

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
As the Sax only cost me £1000 i was thinking of spending no more than £200. Is a metal mouthpiece going to make a big difference to getting a better sound and will there be much difference to a £100 mouthpiece to a £500 mouthpice bearing in mind the quality of the Sax?
It's not possible to generalise about metal mouthpieces, you need to specify which brand/model. Whether a £500 mouthpiece is better than a £100 mouthpiece depends purely on how that mouthpiece suits you.

The best thing is to go and try out mouthpieces and find what works. personally, I think its a mistake to narrow your horizons to a metal mouthpiece.

On alto I'm currently trialling Jody Jazz metal, and I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the Jody Jazz Hard Rubber.

jonf

I have just bought a brand new Yamaha YTS 280 Tenor and came with a Yamaha 4C mouthpice which is obviously not great. I really like my Jazz sound and want a metal mouthice so have been reading up about Jody Jazz and Otto Link.
A couple of general points

It's not the material which counts, it's the design.

With anything, you get into the law of diminishing marginal returns. So a £500 costs five times as much as a £100. It's not going to be five times as good (or even necessarily any better), but you might find it a bit better.

Think about the sort of sound you produce from the Yamaha mouthpiece (which is OK, but has an extremely narrow tip opening) and the sort of sound you want to make. Then, with that mental image of your desired sound, go to a good sax shop and play test as many mouthpieces you can. You should find something really good for under £200.

The YTS is a good sax, and not likely to be the limiting factor on your sound.

Jon

Jazzaferri

How long have you been playing. If I were to base my answer solely on your question I would suggest to stick with the 4c until you know what you want in sound.

As Jonf points out material matters very very little if at all, the matter is still debated but for sure most listeners can't tell a difference if more than a few meters away from the sax.

There is no one sound thought of as a jazz sound. Think on who you like and whose sound you want to emulate. The best way to buy a mpce is either to try several of the same make and size that your research has shown will help you towards your sound and find the best one of that group or go to a custom mpce guy and get one adjusted and corrected to your requirements.

There seems to be a fair bit of difference in mass produced mpces.

Yanisaxaddict

Hi,

The guys here all covered quite a lot, so, try as many as you can. Personally I have tried Francois Louis, too dark, Theo Wanne Datta too bright, ... and many others big name pieces.. I keep falling back to my Yanagisawa pieces, metal in particular, it seems to be the most versatile out of all the pieces I've tried.. actually I'm after another one as backup!!.. If you can get your hands on Pete's PPT, there another fabulous mpc, very versatile... I had one and swapped it, which I regret.. Again, it depends on your style, I play lots of Jazz, some funk and RnB. I find the metal yani handles it all with ease.. PPT or Yani .. best bang for the buck !! I'm only speaking from experience.. there's endless options out there.. Try before you buy! Best of luck.

Saxlicker

Following on then from all the good advise given in the previous posts.....

What are you looking for sound wise? you mention that you like your jazz sound but you'll get a bit of you, a bit of reed character, a bit of sax character and a bit of mouthpiece character a bit of the room you generally play in...e.t.c.. on any piece you choose.
This will ultimately be a different sound than when someone else plays the same mouthpiece on there own set up and to an extent even if they borrowed yours.
As difficult as sounds can be to describe in a common way that is agreed on by everybody, you still have to start somewhere so......
So what is that Jazz sound?
Do you want more/less vibrancy?
More warmth?
Brightness/darkness?
More/less edge?
Whats lacking? whats over bearing?
Having an idea of where your current sound fits in comparison to where you want to be, will help choose the design of your next mouthpiece.
That piece needn't be metal (not trying to put you off but your are limiting your choices this way and there are some great pieces out there), the chamber, baffle, facing curve all play a part but none are as important as your own control.

IMO
You can do better than a 4C without spending silly money and I would steer clear of extremes for now such as big tips and very high baffles (they could seriously pin back your progress) until you know a little more about your own i.e. developed your embouchure/air support and know the sound you are striving for vs something else. Then at some point you may wish to move on again because you are more proficient and have more understanding of your next desire.

If you describe what you think your sound is now and where you want it to be, you'll get recommendations but again the best advise has already been given in the fact that you need to try them out and find if they suit you.

Good Luck

siggsy

Good advice people. I have recently picked up the Sax after a 15 year break since i was playing in bands, which is the reason i went out and bought a new YTS 280 to get back into the groove, and then work my up to a pro sax when and if i feel the need to upgrade.
there is no way i can carry onb using a 4C mpc it is terrible although may have something to do with me being out of practice. I can just tell though it aint good enough.
I used to play with an Otto Link back then which i liked but want to start experimenting. Just wanted a few different thoughts from other people, maybe there was some fancy nw mpc on the market in the last 15 years i didnt know about...

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
there is no way i can carry onb using a 4C mpc it is terrible although may have something to do with me being out of practice. I can just tell though it aint good enough.
I used to play with an Otto Link back then which i liked but want to start experimenting. Just wanted a few different thoughts from other people, maybe there was some fancy nw mpc on the market in the last 15 years i didnt know about...
There are plenty of fancy mouthpieces on the market. But still, a Yamaha 4C is a great mouthpiece IMO, especially for the money. I always tell people that once they really know what it is they are looking for (as opposed to just "better") then is the time to try out new mouthpieces.

Sometimes a switch from a 4C to a 5C or 6C can be really worthwhile, and you learn something about larger tip openings and what effect they can have.

ManEast

Hi.
Good luck on your new horn:) Its not that easy to find a brand new Otto Link that works well. The M.P. that I would say to go for is the Jody Jazz H.R. in a 7*. Its like a good playing Link ,but it also has a kick to it that makes it good for Funk as well as Jazz. I have had a go on quite a few them and they have all played well right out of the box.
I also know of a few pro Tenor players that have moved from Links onto this H.R. Jody.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
If you want a link that works, talk to Morgan Fry about one of his floridated links. He sorts out all the facing issues, and puts the baffle back to where it should be for a florida spec link. They play beautifully. Sound great as well. Morgan's a member here, and you can get him through his web site. He also makes Pete's metal PPTs. The others come from Ed Pillinger.

johnboy

The sound that you hear when playing, is not the sound that an audience hears. The way to hear your actual sound, is to record your playing. You may get a surprise!

John :);}

Yanisaxaddict

This is so true, Johnboy! although, the closest you'll get to hearing your sound without recording is; stand in the corner of your room and play facing the wall, or play in the corner of a room so the sound will bounce straight back to you..

johnboy

Yes, playing into a corner, is something I recommend frequently to perfect tone and vibrato.

johnboy :);}

siggsy

Been doing a lot of reading up and decided that im going to buy a new Otto Link Vintage or New York, not sure which one yet.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Been doing a lot of reading up and decided that im going to buy a new Otto Link Vintage or New York, not sure which one yet.
Try a few before you buy. The refacers don't make money on these pieces for nothing.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom