Tutorials

What Magazines do you buy?

denialdesosa

Future Music and Computer Music. Sound On Sound occasionally. But I only read them for the articles.
Is it just me, or are these things pretty damn exspensive for something that's not written in liquid LSD?

Chris98

Future Music and Computer Music. Sound On Sound occasionally. But I only read them for the articles.
Is it just me, or are these things pretty damn exspensive for something that's not written in liquid LSD?
Hello and welcome to the forum, are you a sax player? Your magazine list suggests you are interested in music creation/recording. Are you conducting market research?

The only reason I ask is that a quick google search shows you've asked the same question here:

http://www.supergamesfree.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=101

Best wishes,

Chris

Stephen Howard

I buy "What Anorak" - there's a feature on Storm Pockets this month.

I once bought "Heat" magazine, but I found it a bit too racy for me, so I now buy "Cosy". Last month they had Judith Chalmers as a centrefold. I had a damned hard time finding the crease between the two pages.

Last week I bought a copy of "DIY monthly". They had a free sample of a new type of sandpaper on the cover. Unfortunately I thought it was a scratch 'n sniff affair, and I wore away two fingers and a thumb before I cottoned on.

Regards,

Phil Edwards

Never missed an issue. Did you enjoy the "monster drawstring waist shoot-out" - amazing, and what a surprise result.

Chris, you've obviously got all copies of Miss Marple, the Poirot special edition, and the Morse summer-holiday bumper edition tucked away somewhere. You've put the lessons to good use to sniff this one out.

Did you get the latest copy of "I-spy a daft question?"

Phil

MartinL

I once bought "Heat" magazine, but I found it a bit too racy for me, so I now buy "Cosy". Last month they had Judith Chalmers as a centrefold. I had a damned hard time finding the crease between the two pages.

Last week I bought a copy of "DIY monthly". They had a free sample of a new type of sandpaper on the cover. Unfortunately I thought it was a scratch 'n sniff affair, and I wore away two fingers and a thumb before I cottoned on.

Regards,
Haven't bought a magazine for years, until redundancy a year ago I was working in printing and books like FHM, ZOO, Vanity Fair were rolling off our presses by the million. I could never justify the cost of them now.

Unfortunately the magazine industry took a hell of a hammering last year and a lot of big players went down, us with them. The titles moved elsewhere.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
One of my favourites is Spam Weekly.

Some of the more longstanding members here may remember some fun on the old forum when spammers trying to shill products found their posts had mysteriously changed.

Chris98

Chris, you've obviously got all copies of Miss Marple, the Poirot special edition, and the Morse summer-holiday bumper edition tucked away somewhere. You've put the lessons to good use to sniff this one out.

Did you get the latest copy of "I-spy a daft question?"

Phil
'I-spy a daft question?' is one of my favorites but I learnt my craft the hard way doin' me time on the streets back in da good old days... or rather, reading my student's essays!

I used to find it quite amusing, you could always spot the bit they had spliced in from an authoritative source, with big words, decent sentence structure and a clear idea of the point being made. It contrasted so well against the less well thought out, dancing around the point and still trying to find their angle on the subject that was the pervading style of the previous three paragraphs!

All the best,

Chris

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I used to find it quite amusing, you could always spot the bit they had spliced in from an authoritative source, with big words, decent sentence structure and a clear idea of the point being made. It contrasted so well against the less well thought out, dancing around the point and still trying to find their angle on the subject that was the pervading style of the previous three paragraphs!
I got full marks (except for a spelling mistake) at primary school for doing that. Copied the story out of one of my comics. I was really miffed about the spelling mistake - the original had spelt the main character's name as Bizzi Bee (or something like that), and the teacher corrected Bizzi back to Busy. I nearly gave the game away by complaining, but just managed to stop myself.... I'd have been about 7 or 8 at the time. Woudln't dream of it now, of course... Always acknowledge my sources.

Mikec

Regards,
Where can you get a complete "DIY Monthly"? I always have to put mine together myself...

And my favourite "What Anorak" was the one with the free "WinPedant" cataloguing software.

Stephen Howard

I got full marks (except for a spelling mistake) at primary school for doing that. Copied the story out of one of my comics. I was really miffed about the spelling mistake - the original had spelt the main character's name as Bizzi Bee (or something like that), and the teacher corrected Bizzi back to Busy. I nearly gave the game away by complaining, but just managed to stop myself.... I'd have been about 7 or 8 at the time. Woudln't dream of it now, of course... Always acknowledge my sources.
Similar thing happened to me at the end of my Instrument Repair college course. As part of the final examination we had to submit written work in the form of a small 'thesis'. I chose to do "The development of the saxophone".
When I finally got around to starting the project ( about six weeks before it was due in, of course ) I discovered that there were practically no sources of information...and the internet wasn't an option back then.

I heard that Wally Horwood was writing a book on saxes, so I wrote to him to ask for a few references etc. - and he duly wrote back suggesting I buy his book when it came out.
So, with the deadline approaching and nothing to hand other than a few retail catalogues I realised I was in a bit of a pickle.
And then it occured to me that if I couldn't find any relevant information then nor could anyone else...in which case I could just make it all up. So I did.
I wrote a whole section on manufacturing techniques, complete with hand-drawn illustrations - and it was all based on 'best guess' imagination.
My sister typed and bound the project up so it looked nice and professional, and I duly handed it in.

Come the day of the examination interview I was sat at a table opposite the head of the department with the book open on the table between us.
He came straight to the point, and accused me of simply copying the whole thing out of a book - and disguising the fact by omitting to provide any references.
What could I say??

Had I known back then what I know now ( that the qualification I was up for was practically worthless ) I would have called him out on it - just for the pure satisfaction.

Regards,

Derek A

I like reading the Forum (this Forum, not that Forum). And like all the other readers I am unlikely to need the Haynes Manual as I won't be wearing out my sax.

AND IF YOU'RE READING THIS, WHY AIN'T YOU PRACTICIN'?

RedBottom

And then it occured to me that if I couldn't find any relevant information then nor could anyone else...in which case I could just make it all up. So I did.
That reminds me of when I took GCSE English Lit at night school. By the time I'd exhausted my options on the poetry and drama texts, the only text I could answer the remaining question was The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I spent twenty-five minutes writing a side-and-a-half on why I thought it was a good read. Got me an A (didn't have A* back then). Thing is, I couldn't stand the bl**dy book at all!

As for magazines, well, I don't read the music ones because they're all far too much into electric stuff and sound engineering for my little brain, so I stick to photography mags and my son's left-behind copies of FHM. I will confess to buying the January 2010 issue of Drummer magazine, though, but only because my first ever national photo credit was in it (p14 - Cobus and Jobeky).

I've just bought the Haynes manual - hopefully it'll give me a little more confidence to have a go at fixing that C Melody I have gathering dust in the frint room.

Top Bottom