All fees from subs and sales are supporting musicians suffering hardship due to COVID-19
ArtistWorks

What kind of reeds are better for larger tip openings?

TenorLeaf.

I recently bought a Vandoren v16 with a tip opening of about 280. My java reds (size 3) don't seem to play well on it, and they worked fine on my smaller mouthpiece, so I was wondering if I should take the reed strength down a bit.

Pete Effamy

Are you struggling to get enough note in the sound or is it dominated by air? Most likely the reed. Do you have an old one that you can shave down to at least test?

OP
TenorLeaf.

TenorLeaf.

I could try that, and yes, the sound is mostly dominated by air. My friends suggested to go down to 2.5 java green reeds.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
If your new mouthpiece has a wider tip opening than your old one, then it makes sense to reduce the reed strength.

Colin the Bear

Large opening soft reed. Small opening hard(er) reed. The wider the softer. The narrower the harder.

The final choice will be very personal, dictated by your physiognomy and taste.

I wouldn't bother shaving reeds yet, till you find something that works and you like. Then maybe fine tune it.

If the solution was as easy as asking on a forum, then the question would only be asked once. If there were a perfect reed then there wouldn't be such a large selection of reeds on the market.

Enjoy your search. ;)

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Assuming it's a tenor and 280 means 2.8mm then I'd have thought a 2.5 ish reed would be fine. If it's 280 thou then probably a 1 would just about be playable. :D

jbtsax

Subscriber
A wider tip opening causes the reed to travel farther in its cycle to close the mouthpiece and back. It makes sense that it takes more energy to move the reed this increased distance. The sensation the player gets is that the reed is "harder to blow". For a time I played on a 110-0 metal Berg Larsen on tenor and the hardest reed I could play was a 1 1/2.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
For a time I played on a 110-0 metal Berg Larsen on tenor and the hardest reed I could play was a 1 1/2.
We're you re-decorating? That sounds like a great wallpaper pealing tool! :eek:

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom