All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

What key?

jeremyjuicewah

Been messing around, my first foray into jazzy music. I started to put something together on the guitar in Cmaj so I could work Amaj and F#minor pentatonic on the alto. But not having played much jazz I have lost my way. It doesnt matter much for practical purposes, the sax line is coming along nicely, but I am lost for the key, or maybe keys and am curious about it. Guitar chords are:

Cmaj - B9 - F#dim - C11 - then run down Dmaj - Cmaj - F#maj - Cminor - Gmaj

I think its in Gmajor. Anyone know if I am right?
Thanks
Mike

PS lots of stuff about mouth pieces on here. I got one, plastic, make not known, given to me by a proffessional who said he would not have bought a rubbish one but he could not remember what it was just that it didnt suit. Now I see what all the mouthpiece talk is about. The difference is truly amazing. The whole tone is mellowed and I can still make it scream if I want. Over the moon with it.
Mike

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Hey Mike,I don't pretend to be an expert on this but,in my limited experience the vast percentage of jazz tunes are based around a 251 chord progression. So if you where in Cmaj. it could be Dm7 G7 Cmaj7 or the minor version would be Bm7b5 E7 Am7. I know that the E7 isn't in C but it gives a better resolution to the Am7.So if you wanted something nice and simple you could play Dm7 for 1 bar G7 for 1 bar Cmaj7 for 2 bars,Repeat, then repeat all 8 bars. then play Bm7b5 for 1 bar,E7 for 1 bar and Am7 for 2 bars repeat and then play the 1st 8 bars again.That should give you 32 bars in total and a song form of AABA, with the B sec the bridge to the last A sec..
On the 1st 16 bars play the your Amaj and then the Bridge would be good for your F# pentatonic.Last 8 bars back to Amaj. The trick is that even though the bridge is minor you can still use Amaj over it and let the chords colour what you play,when you get to the E7 just play a G# in your line and you will be addressing that chord. Staying in 1 key all the way through does get boring very quickly but it does make it easy to solo over If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

Chris

jeremyjuicewah

Many thanks for taking the trouble with that answer Chris. I need to study it a bit but will give it a go because this music is very pleasing with guitar and sax. I thought to myself after posting that it was probably a daft question, how could it stay in one key. Simple at the moment is good. I dont want to get beyond my ability. Once again, thanks,
Mike

Top Bottom