support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner What key to learn these songs in

eb424

Locality
london
(hope i'm not doing anything wrong here Pete)
Not at all, but we do ask that you use thread titles based on the question you are asking (I've edited it). It'd the best way to get answers and for your thread to be useful for people in the future.

I think it should be possible to play those in any key. I would advise the original key (transposed for tenor obviously) because then you'll find it easier if playing at a jam session or along with backing tracks.

The Meat Loaf original is in A major, which would suggest B major (5 sharps) for tenor.
However, the site does not seem to offer this as a possibility.

The site does not offer any transposed versions for Thin Lizzy, so no choice there.

But there is a problem with these notes, because the solo and the accompaniment are both written out in the same key. This is fine if you just want to play the tune on your own, but if you want to play it with a keyboard, then you need different versions for the tenor sax and the keyboard.

But there is a problem with these notes, because the solo and the accompaniment are both written out in the same key. This is fine if you just want to play the tune on your own, but if you want to play it with a keyboard, then you need different versions for the tenor sax and the keyboard.
And this is where it's useful to learn how to transpose. Every saxophone player may need that skill sooner or later - and IMO the sooner the better.

Not at all, but we do ask that you use thread titles based on the question you are asking (I've edited it). It'd the best way to get answers and for your thread to be useful for people in the future.

I think it should be possible to play those in any key. I would advise the original key (transposed for tenor obviously) because then you'll find it easier if playing at a jam session or along with backing tracks.
Thanks Pete was just trying a tad of humour thought it might get people looking

Thanks all.. can anyone suggest a book that would cover this topic... I'm on my fifth version of summertime now its costing me a fortune..lol

The Meat Loaf original is in A major, which would suggest B major (5 sharps) for tenor.
However, the site does not seem to offer this as a possibility.

The site does not offer any transposed versions for Thin Lizzy, so no choice there.

Thanks NigelD so do you just take it up 1 whole note then...

Thanks pete so if I printed out the original music who can i learn how to transpose it...??

Thanks all.. can anyone suggest a book that would cover this topic... I'm on my fifth version of summertime now its costing me a fortune..lol

If you are looking for tunes to play with backing tracks, then the Café Song and Ballad of the month threads are worth searching.

Unfortunately the Summertime notes and backing seem to have disappeared from that thread, but you can find them here:

How do flats and sharps work please.. will the original always be the best key if I just want to play the whole song myself to a backing track or do yo sometimes have to find which key works best..

nice one i found stuff on transposing to i should explore this site more.

It's good eventually to be able to play in any key - it's great practise. But initially I'd say the priority is the original key as most playalongs and other musicians will know it in that key . (Exceptions include Girl From Ipanema which I think was in Db but most people play it in F)

Thanks pete i also found your really useful thread here

im sure i bought taming the saxophone 1 is this covered in there. Also (humour intended) does the purchase give me the right to ask for more info on what a major 9th is. Is an octave half a whole note is it in part 1of taming the saxophone or is part 2 more relevant.. Thanks excuse my daftness

How do flats and sharps work please.. will the original always be the best key if I just want to play the whole song myself to a backing track or do yo sometimes have to find which key works best..
An easy way to know how "flats and sharps work" when transposing up one whole step from concert is to first write down the chromatic scale. Then knowing one whole step is equal to two half steps you go up two half steps to get the "transposed note". This can help with some of the "tricky" ones like: E transposes to F#, B transposes to C#, Eb transposes to F, and Bb transposes to C. All the others go up to the next letter in the musical alphabet, and will have the same accidental if there is one like: A transposes to B, Ab transposes to Bb, F transposes to G, and F# transposes to G#.

Hope this helps.

Thanks JBTsax... so would A-B be one step whilst F is different because of the F#