support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What is this genre and who else practices it?

Sometimes it is. Once I got a call for a high profile thing. I went to the first rehearsal, it went ok (I thought I sucked, but that's often the case). I had a kind of vision of playing big venues in Europe, though during it. When we got to the first gig in Italy, I felt like I was in a movie, the story of my life! The weeks between that first rehearsal and the gig flew by and there we were looking out over a big audience, first time in my life.

Sometimes it is. Once I got a call for a high profile thing. I went to the first rehearsal, it went ok (I thought I sucked, but that's often the case). I had a kind of vision of playing big venues in Europe, though during it. When we got to the first gig in Italy, I felt like I was in a movie, the story of my life! The weeks between that first rehearsal and the gig flew by and there we were looking out over a big audience, first time in my life.
My first festival with a big artist was recorded for TV and made the news too. Not exactly hard on the ego..
Another tour we all flew out of London in August and 28C in rock star T shirts and shades to 10C and fog on arrival....

My music career was so long ago that in Spain, we went on TV once and Generalissimo Franco had to approve the lyrics! He was in office from
October 1936 – 20 November 1975.

I have been asked by someone who likes this piece where they can find more like it. I think I may have already posted this here, but I am asking for suggestions for this person, who says they really like it. Does this mean saxophone or woodwinds? Rubato? Slow? Lyrical? I don't know. Please give me something to take back to them from your wide listening experiences. If you were an AI, what would your algorithm return for "You may also like..."?

I have done similar kind of stuff, and I would have called it Easy Listening. But I think once there is a saxophone, people tend to immediately think something has to be jazz, so a smooth jazz label may get put on it. There used to be genre called MOR, not sure if it's still around (Middle of the Road - how insulting!)

The trumpet went through this, think Herb Alpert!

I wish to point out that this is my thread and digressions are welcome, especially when they follow the previous digression!

Speaking of which, Seth McFarland was asked why they used nondescript music on the spaceship show The Orville. He stated, quite correctly, that any time anyone has tried to portray future music, they've failed miserably.

I do not put Weather Report into any of the categories we've mentioned & discussed so far, by the way. They invented the "group improv by seasoned jazz players" paradigm that actually became popular. People liked it and were listening to great jazz musicians that were playing other than the usual post-bop.

I think in my effort, some things that made the person like it were the rubato (relaxation), the and general looseness (casual vibe, not too organized) and the unusual, but not horribly discordant harmony on the guitar.

I think in my effort, some things that made the person like it were the rubato (relaxation), the and general looseness (casual vibe, not too organized) and the unusual, but not horribly discordant harmony on the guitar.

Yes I liked all of that too, but that isn't something I would classify as genre defining though.

Yes I liked all of that too, but that isn't something I would classify as genre defining though.
Right, not genre-defining, but it's the "quality" the person appreciated, they described it as the vibe. There've been some goos suggestions above, for sure. Incidentally, this was one of dozens of these little meditations that are a minute or less long. The length may also be a factor in their appreciation. Jazz is rarely short!

I have done similar kind of stuff, and I would have called it Easy Listening. But I think once there is a saxophone, people tend to immediately think something has to be jazz, so a smooth jazz label may get put on it. There used to be genre called MOR, not sure if it's still around (Middle of the Road - how insulting!)
Better than EOR - end of the road

Herb Alpert with or without the Tijuana Brass was the biggest seller instrumental artist of all time up until the late 1990s early 2000s when a certain curly haired guy from Seattle wielding the fish horn sold more albums...John Klemmer had at least two albums that sold a million copies or more, Spyro Gyra were fairly big sellers and The Crusaders were popular...and of course "Feels So Good" by Chuck Mangione was a big seller.

The money Herb Alpert made established the biggest independent record company on the planet at the time A & M Records (Alpert and Moss) and they say the rest is history - from Hollywood garage to United Artist studios...

Greg S.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom