support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What is this genre and who else practices it?

Brian Eno :- Ambient 1: Music for Airports, comes to mind.

Jay Alansky :- Mercy Street, Reminiscent Drive, Ambrosia.

Blue Six - Beautiful Tomorrow - (but not the dance stuff) They use wind instruments along with the synth sounds.

Start with those names and you'll start to find more.

Weather Report is one of those bands that I missed when they were active, They just didn't seem to feature on the 'John
Peel show' on Saturday afternoons while I lay in the bath listening to the show and letting my morning Rugby injuries dissipate. I keep meaning to listen more but I don't. So I've heard Weather Report members mostly on other tracks. No one else plays fretless bass like Jaco did. And Wayne Shorter played on some great recordings. My Big Bands still play a couple of Joe Zawinul's compositions.

World. New Age. Easy Listening Instrumental. Slightly out of tune music to light a scented candle too.

It's a bit Weather Report to my ear too. Perhaps A remark you made from the album 8.30.

View: https://youtu.be/eyJ67UPztPY

Weather Report is one of those bands that I missed when they were active, They just didn't seem to feature on the 'John
Peel show' on Saturday afternoons while I lay in the bath listening to the show and letting my morning Rugby injuries dissipate. I keep meaning to listen more but I don't. So I've heard Weather Report members mostly on other tracks. No one else plays fretless bass like Jaco did. And Wayne Shorter played on some great recordings. My Big Bands still play a couple of Joe Zawinul's compositions.
I find it hard to see past 'well-structured and well-played nothingness'. Each to their own. Guess it depends how much credit you give to pathfinders and creators stylistically. Prefer them individually with others. Steps Ahead seems like a natural follow-on to this, but with more direction and energy. Only really knew one album back in the day - was it this or Punk Jazz...? Sorry for being a neigh-sayer... personal taste and all that...

I never listened to Weather Report ,Joe Zawinul wrote some good stuff "stuff" that's a useful word,. I happened to post one the other day.

Here's a different version of Mercy Mercy Mercy

View: https://youtu.be/ycNv57aZFTg

The 8.30 live album is a good way in to Weather Report. A good spread of what they did.

So...John Klemmer...another one that passed me by. It's surprising how stuff you thought was so original only sounded original to you because you hadn't heard what it was derived from. I can hear so many weather report tracks in there. The crew I used to hang with in the 70's would have been so impressed with him. I still love an electric piano. Steely Dan...not so much:confused2:

The 8.30 live album is a good way in to Weather Report. A good spread of what they did.

So...John Klemmer...another one that passed me by. It's surprising how stuff you thought was so original only sounded original to you because you hadn't heard what it was derived from. I can hear so many weather report tracks in there. The crew I used to hang with in the 70's would have been so impressed with him. I still love an electric piano. Steely Dan...not so much:confused2:

Yeah I'm a bit of a sucker for the electric piano...whether it's a Wurlitzer, Fender Rhodes, bands like The Zombies, Supertramp, Ray Charles or Stevie W or Garth Hudson playing the clavinet...once a week I set up my 20 year old 76 note Yamaha electronic keyboard and play silly buggers with the various electric piano sounds on it...

Dave Grusin playing electric piano on the John Klemmer track with the ubiquitous "Mr 335" (a.k.a. Larry Carlton) on acoustic guitar this time...I also have a copy of the John Klemmer Songbook with play along CD which covers the albums " Touch" and "Barefoot Ballet" albums...and everybody needs to listen to Weather Report with various great drummers they had and Jaco on bass...:thumb:

Greg S.

Maybe similar to what John Klemmer was doing in the mid 1970s...
I toured with John Klemmer in 1975. He may well have been a part of the transition to smoother sounds in jazz saxophone back then.

Weather Report brought jazz to the average music listener's consciousness like Led Zepplin and Clapton brought blues to them. Their contribution is laudable for that alone, but the music will and does live on.

I toured with John Klemmer in 1975. He may well have been a part of the transition to smoother sounds in jazz saxophone back then.

Weather Report brought jazz to the average music listener's consciousness like Led Zepplin and Clapton brought blues to them. Their contribution is laudable for that alone, but the music will and does live on.
The first Jazz record I bought was called 5 Birds and a Monk,. Don't know what happened to it,. John Klemmer was on it playing Round Midnight, this is a different record but I imagine it's the same recording

View: https://youtu.be/aewBFeHEgAw

That's odd as this release is dated 1981. John must have gone "back to the roots" as it was easy listening when we played his stuff.
I recall Paul Lagos, drums, Eric Lindner, keys, Ron Johnson electric bass, and a Puerto Rican percussionist, Hector whose name may eventually come back to me. As far as I can see, none of the musicians he toured with recorded with him as he used more famous people like Carlton, Harvey Mason, Grusin...

Found this about him, which tells a lot more than I knew:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's odd as this release is dated 1981. John must have gone "back to the roots" as it was easy listening when we played his stuff.
I recall Paul Lagos, drums, Eric Lindner, keys, Ron Johnson electric bass, and a Puerto Rican percussionist, Hector whose name may eventually come back to me. As far as I can see, none of the musicians he toured with recorded with him as he used more famous people like Carlton, Harvey Mason, Grusin...

Found this about him, which tells a lot more than I knew:
You kept some good company. What sort of venues were you playing back then? Was John considered a ‘big name’ or ‘just’ a sax player or jazzer? Hotels good? I’ve heard Marienthal talk about the Chick Corea Electric Band saying that they flew 1st class in the ‘80’s and all that. I know that Herb Alpert played stadiums (I think!) in the ‘60’s I guess. Amazing for instrumental music. I’m recalling Chuck Mangione now too...

I know we played the Cellar Door in D.C. and the Bottom Line in NYC. I was miserable on those gigs, and didn't continue the tours after that.

Back
Top Bottom