All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

What is "gate"

jeremyjuicewah

As in the song Gimme a pigfoot, the line "send me gate, cos I cont care". I have come accross it in various readings of Louis Armstrong related stuff. I think gate was one of his nicknames, so I thought it meant 'gator mouth, but he used it too when addressing others. I have googled this and dont find any of the stuff convincing. This is quite a nice jazzy piece which I am learning right now, and I hate it when there is word I dont know. Anyone?

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
I think Gate may have originally been a nickname for Louis Armstrong, as in "Gatemouth", but later became a jive term used for any hip person or jazz musician.

You hear it at 00:40

Also there is Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown

Last edited:

Sunray

Saw a bloke steal my front garden gate yesterday ...

But ...

I didn't say anyfing just in case he took a-fence ... ;}

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Somehow I thought we were on about "gate gate" as in "Watergate" but a more recent incident the occurred in Downing Street.

Then I remembered that we must not do politics on here, so I realised I was wrong.
I am a pleb! >:)

jeremyjuicewah

Fabulous stuff from the great showman Cab Calloway. But it seems there is one rule for talented, athletic, elegant hoofers and another for fat drunks. For I was chucked from the curry house just last Friday night for dancing on the tables. I will go back and ask them what they think now after I show them this movie clip. I bet that they will feel small then for their hasty and spitefull actions.

I go with the general hip name. Its what I had come to think it must be. So thank you all, my dear gates,
Mike

Young Col

Normally I'd go with 'gate as a man, probably originally applied to Louis Armstrong, sometimes perjoratively, as gatemouth.

It could sound right in the song as "get me gate" - ie get me a man. It's interesting to note that some later, more prim versions, have it as "send me daddy", but since Sox Wilson wrote it in 1933 th same year Bessie Smith recorded it I would go with the former as correct.

However, there is a different slang meaning. To get someone gated or give them the gate is to bar, reject or kick them out. In the context of the song that seems more likely. The sense is "I'm going to have such a good time that I don't care if I get kicked out". The later references in the song to getting a reefer and gin and to checking razors and guns for a fight when the police come, carry that idea through. To my mind that's the more likely meaning.
YC

navarro

Saw a bloke steal my front garden gate yesterday ...

But ...

I didn't say anyfing just in case he took a-fence ... ;}
I like that one S will include it in my soon to be published `Joke book for failed stand up comics who want to fail again.` >:) Regds N.

navarro

As in the song Gimme a pigfoot, the line "send me gate, cos I cont care". I have come accross it in various readings of Louis Armstrong related stuff. I think gate was one of his nicknames, so I thought it meant 'gator mouth, but he used it too when addressing others. I have googled this and dont find any of the stuff convincing. This is quite a nice jazzy piece which I am learning right now, and I hate it when there is word I dont know. Anyone?
Hi Jeremy in old American slang `gate` is a greeting. In modern parlance it is a Gay date or a date with a gay friend. Regds J.

Hal the Elder

Other Jive words and phrases were:

"Solid, Jackson!"

"Plant you now, dig you later!"

"You're Reet!"

"Give me some Skin!"

For more, see Slim Gaillard...He's Right-a-Rootie, and he knows Flat Foot Floogie (with a Floy-Floy!)

I closing, let me say:

"Hit that jive, Jack,
Put it in your pocket till I get back.
Goin' down town to see a Man,
And ain't got time to shake your hand!"

(It's amazing how many groups have done that on YouTube...check out Diana Krall with her
4-piece jazz combo givin' it a workout!)

HAL

Last edited by a moderator:

What

I know! He's talking about the Stargate! Clearly Louis Armstrong was going to be sent throughout the Stargate to show the Asgard how hip Earth is.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I know! He's talking about the Stargate! Clearly Louis Armstrong was going to be sent throughout the Stargate to show the Asgard how hip Earth is.
For some reason I heard Sheldon's voice when I read that.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom