support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What have you been offered while busking?

Chris Smith UK

Locality
Ringwood, New Forest, UK
Hi all you sax pots. Apart from some cash (if you're lucky) and some advice (if you're not) what unusual things have you been offered while busking?

I had a fab experience yesterday while I was out busking. I had started recording a VLOG of my experiences, and I'm really pleased I did, as I recorded these three youngsters offering me drink and food.
It made me so happy to realise that there are thoughtful youngsters out there. It is so easy to think the Yoof of today are a bunch of wasters. Not these three....
:D:clapping:
View: https://youtu.be/I7jLSzzcaS8

Saw some dude Yesterday playing the theme from GOT near Brandenburger Tor on his cello - there must have been at least 100 euros in his gigbag. But yeah - first day of spring, holiday and a massive tourist attraction.

Also what a nice story about those kids

Last edited:
Hi Chris,i think the progress you have made is great,i admire you for getting out and busking,have watched your videos and you tremendous,love to try myself but have not got the courage!!!What are you playing backing tracks through.WELL DONE.:clapping::sax:

Would Also like to add, that i think you are super brave keep up the good job - will subscribe to your channel

Saw some dude Yesterday playing the theme from GOT near Brandenburger Tor on his cello - there must have been at least 100 euros in his gigbag. But yeah - first day of spring, holiday and a massive tourist attraction.

Also what a nice story about those kids

GoT! What a great idea. I'd love to do something like that - very relevant or topical, But it takes me at least a week to learn a song, so I'd need to plan in advance. Plus I always think it's odd if you just play the same song over and over. :D

Hi Chris,i think the progress you have made is great,i admire you for getting out and busking,have watched your videos and you tremendous,love to try myself but have not got the courage!!!What are you playing backing tracks through.WELL DONE.:clapping::sax:
Hi @BUMNOTE - I just use iReal pro for backing tracks. They are a bit bland to be honest, but you can adjust the speed while you're learning, and change the key if it needs transposing.

I know what you mean about courage, and the first time I went out was quite a challenge, but I think it depends on your mindset. My view was... I am practicing in public. Nobody has paid to see me. I will make mistakes, but it doesn't matter. Most people will just walk past anyway, and anyone who appreciates my efforts will put some money in my case. I get loads of positive feedback - kiddies dancing etc.

On our last vacation on Victoria Island there was a young man playing trumpet downtown each day we were there. His playing was terrible, even for a student! I put $5 in the case each time we walked by him hoping that would help him afford to take some lessons someday.

Hi all you sax pots. Apart from some cash (if you're lucky) and some advice (if you're not) what unusual things have you been offered while busking?

I had a fab experience yesterday while I was out busking. I had started recording a VLOG of my experiences, and I'm really pleased I did, as I recorded these three youngsters offering me drink and food.
It made me so happy to realise that there are thoughtful youngsters out there. It is so easy to think the Yoof of today are a bunch of wasters. Not these three....
:D:clapping:
View: https://youtu.be/I7jLSzzcaS8
What were you playing to deserve that? There's a thought, what song deserves a night in the cells

A Martin Handcraft baritone., loudly...on the undergound. On an actual train, I mean.
I was very, very drunk at the time.

Songs that should get you arrested?
"I'm on the road again".
Sounds like fun to me, as in canned heat?

On our last vacation on Victoria Island there was a young man playing trumpet downtown each day we were there. His playing was terrible, even for a student! I put $5 in the case each time we walked by him hoping that would help him afford to take some lessons someday.
I'll send you some recordings, I accept paypal and all major credit cards.

:clapping::clapping: Two hours! That’s impressive Chris - how many songs have you under your belt now?
And btw GoT was Song of the Month here a while ago - no rush, reckon it’s going to be talked about for a while …

GoT! What a great idea. I'd love to do something like that - very relevant or topical, But it takes me at least a week to learn a song, so I'd need to plan in advance. Plus I always think it's odd if you just play the same song over and over. :D

From what i can see, those who make the most busking and gathers the biggest crowds, are those who play popular stuff from the radio

forum rules prohibit me from giving precise details of what I was once offered by a 'lady of questionable virtue' but suffice to say I'd not made enough money to get involved in such activities...

:clapping::clapping: Two hours! That’s impressive Chris - how many songs have you under your belt now?
And btw GoT was Song of the Month here a while ago - no rush, reckon it’s going to be talked about for a while …
Hi @Zugzwang I have about 9 or 10. I play the head a couple of times and then improvise for a while, so I stretch them out. I normally play the whole lot twice, and that's about 2 hours.