All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

What finish?

old git

Tremendous Bore
I am finally getting fed up with the silver finish on my Hanson ST8. The gold plated key system looks great but you have to keep polishing the bloody body.

Two possible solutions:-

1) Gold plate the body.

2) A spray tin of black Hammerite.

The first solution is expensive. Still waiting for a quote to gold wash the bell from Griff but suspect he was reluctant to witness another heart attack. Being an OAP it would need a caff© collection.

The second has a number of attractions as the various bits could be put in the freezer and thus be cryonic and Hammerite is naturally reticulated, so an inside coat and as the lyrics go, "I might be late but I'll be up to date, when I can shimmy like my sister Kate."

Advice and donations much appreciated.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
I thought the silver bits were lacquered on Hanson saxes. Obviously not. Hanson have had a few ex display ST8's on ebay recently and was tempted, but if you have to work too hard to keep it looking good I'll give it a miss.

As for donations, I am a Yorkshireman and find that offensive, although if you have a heart event I've got "Staying Alive" on the mp3 player and rhythm is my forte. Hammerite would make you look well 'ard.

rhysonsax

The Bauhaus Walstein M2S saxes are silver with gold laquered keywork. But the silver finish seems to be lacquered and it doesn't need polishing.

Have you thought of getting the Hanson's body sprayed with lacquer ? Or maybe take it with you into a spray tanning booth.

Rhys

jazzdoh

I bought some anti tarnish strips from off Ebay and always keep my sliver sax in the case when i am not playing it,this cut down drastically the amount of time i polished it.

Brian

Chris98

Dear Mr. Old Git (much tuggin' at ones forelock, as a sign or 'respect' un all)

When I saw the title of your thread I thought you were talking about something else, and I was going to suggest, either with a good woman or playing the sax, or if you can manage it... both! I saw Mr. Thomas playing an alto whilst a woman stood on his chest, so it's not out of the realms of possibility!

But now I see my mistake, The current trend would be to get the wire wool out and take it back to the naked metal, allow it to go green and be environmentally friendly!

But you're too bling for that, so might I suggest going with the gold plate and diamond encrusted engraving on the front.

Sorry I have no serious comments, but hope you find a solution.

All the best,

Chris

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I'm with rhysonsax with this,probably the best and cheapest solution and it will retain the look you probably bought the sax for.

I'm surprised you say the gold bits are fine when gold plate is notorious for wear,and would think that a gold plated body would soon be showing wear from the areas you hold on to

Though I am no expert I believe there are things you can do to keep the tarnishing to a minimum,one of these I believe is never to keep an ebonite mpc in the case with the sax as they give off fumes that can cause tarnishing of the silver,I am a bit surprised you don't like spending your time lovingly polishing your sax....john

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I saw Mr. Thomas playing an alto whilst a woman stood on his chest, so it's not out of the realms of possibility!
cripes! my sax teacher tells me that her woodwind lecturer at Uni used to lay on the floor and get 2 young ladies to stand on him, then he bounced them up and down using his diaphragm. :w00t:
I'm not sure if any of this would be PC nowadays.... :confused:
She also told me he has since died - if he popped his cloggs whilst laying on the floor under 2 young ladies, I guess it's a good way to go?? :)))

But back to the OP.....OG, wouldn't all the key pads get a bit sticky with that hammerite stuff? or are you a whizz with masking tape.... Maybe you should go super-antique distressed finish, to match your lovely old body?? >:)

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
.. Maybe you should go super-antique distressed finish, to match your lovely old body?? >:)
:)))
I think you need to ask for your money back from the Swiss finishing school Mandy.
You'll be hearing the "Knock, Knock" of the Caslm community action group any minute.

Young Col

I'll lend you my modeller's airbrush and some Airfix black paint, Bill. Slightly less mucky than Hammerite, but you will still look, as Andrew says, well 'ard. Got some steel wool to rub it down with beforehand too. Only thing is, I know you're anxious to loan me the Hanson to make way for the bari, but after you've done the retouch job, I think I'll give it a miss. And BTW, there's nothing wrong with my Mauriat : it's supposed to look like that.
YC

Taz

Busking Oracle
I'd go with the Hammerite, its strong, long lasting and easy to apply, although I got some in my eye whilst doing my Land Rover chassis the other day. A word of advice though. All this talk of wire wool! Pah! That won't get the job done. You need a rotary wire brush attachment for a Black and Deker power drill and give it a damn good grinding! That way the Hammerite will have something to grip onto and you should be able to jet wash the sax without the paint flaking off.

Young Col

Of course, you're right, Taz. Why waste energy rubbing it down when a a rotary brush will do it? I can let Bill have one. I've just finished using a 30ft drain cleaning attachment to a Karcher power washer to clean out the bottom drain on my pond. Would do a treat for blasting the junk off the sax and round the tone holes in particular.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Of course, you're right, Taz. Why waste energy rubbing it down when a a rotary brush will do it? I can let Bill have one. I've just finished using a 30ft drain cleaning attachment to a Karcher power washer to clean out the bottom drain on my pond. Would do a treat for blasting the junk off the sax and round the tone holes in particular.
Classic, can I borrow it for the pig tail on my bari, it's getting a bit pongy?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
On a serious note, bothh my main saxes are silver plated, and get wiped off once in a while - and a go with a silver cloth about twice a year. The moutphpieces live in a side pocket. Alto has an ebonite one. This lives in the same side pocket as the neck and doesn't seem to be causing any tarnishing.

Young Col

Getting back to the non-serious, sorry Kev, good thought Taz. The jets are directed backwards so the thing more or less finds its own way through the tube and stirs up all kinds of stuff lurking there. Not sure about the 180psi though.

And Bill,if you could shimmy like anyone, you'd be up to date, On second thoughts, no, don't ; poor Armand Piron would be sent spinning in his grave.

jonf

Don't be such a jessie. Leave it as it is and just play the ******* thing.

trimmy

One day i will...
OG once you have decided what you are going to do, will you then do my SA8 ? I'm sure someone will then have a Sop and a Bari for you to complete the range ;}

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
The National Trust keep silver items in good condition by cleaning with Goddard's silver polish and then wiping them over with a light coating of Antique or Antiqueing Wax. I'm not sure exactly what it is or where you can get it, maybe they would tell you.

Top Bottom