All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Rock & Pop what do you think?

Saxlicker

It's not my intention to suddenly start to post every video I find but this one posted on SOTW got the better of my curiosity.
Although I find it superb with a very Japanese precision, it doesn't stir me up to any where near the level Wilton & co are capable of doing.

Regardless of his split tones, growls and altissimo it still some how feels sanitised and polite.
Even when he turns on the magic 3.5 minutes + into the track.
Don't get me wrong it is superb I love it and its not an option to stop before the video ends but......
I find it very easy to conjure images of of the best performing things to come out of Japan when I listen to this...
Say a Yamaha R1 sports bike for example, a faultless slick, reliable, exhilarating rocket.
Yet a noisier, less reliable (allegedly your honour!) ducati turns the heads and steals the soul.
Is it just me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Strange

Well, he's coming out of the David Sanborn school of sax playing via Dave Koz and Nelson Rangell, so a lot of modern alto players tend to sound the same in the jazz-rock, smooth jazz style of playing, although he is a very capable player. I've been trying to work out his set up - Yamaha 62 Mk II or 82Z Custom with a Van Doren Jumbo Java mouthpiece? By the way I like the Yamaha R1 but I prefer a late 1970s Laverda Jota.
Regards,
GS.

Saxlicker

Aha!
A reply....thanks Greg.
Had lots of views on this one but no other comments.
For sure those players are amongst his influence.

I'm still baffled as to how he can put all the fireworks in (superbly) yet it's still
too clinical and precise for me to fully appreciate them.

Does it do it completely for you?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
<sour grapes>
Aye. Very clever. Can't say I like it much though - not really my thing.
</sour grapes>

johnboy

I think I was too gobsmacked to reply. Clever s#d. Don't like the sound of that sax though.

AdamBradley

A better scientific test would have been to ask folk to listen without watching, so the stereotypical 'musically soulless Asian' thing wasn't pre-eminent.

I agree with you, largely. I've never met a musical Asian that wasn't a prodigious talent and at the same time completely lacking in whatever it is that makes you want to sing, dance or play along to something. I've known about five so far, all suffer this 'clinical' thing that kills it for me.

I didn't much like his tone, despite being impressed by the fireworks toward the end. Perhaps it's that all his fills and improvs around the main tune to start were identical every time through. Makes it sound overly practised rather than... Felt?

johnboy

Adam you've hit the nail squarely on the head. Technical ability - brilliant and clinical. From his inner self? - for me he scores zero.

compound

To me he is a very able player, but he doesn't play from the heart, thats why it's so clinical.
Rob.

Sunray

A better scientific test would have been to ask folk to listen without watching, so the stereotypical 'musically soulless Asian' thing wasn't pre-eminent.

I agree with you, largely. I've never met a musical Asian that wasn't a prodigious talent and at the same time completely lacking in whatever it is that makes you want to sing, dance or play along to something. I've known about five so far, all suffer this 'clinical' thing that kills it for me.

I didn't much like his tone, despite being impressed by the fireworks toward the end. Perhaps it's that all his fills and improvs around the main tune to start were identical every time through. Makes it sound overly practised rather than... Felt?
Hey Hey Adam ...

I tend to agree with the comments made by most ...

This guy seems to have a better soul ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWv4tyESGKE

Cheers ...

Fredso

I'd like to have the skill shown by both these guys but I'd much rather listen to the guy on the tenor, Sunray's link, he just has more feeling.

Ray

Taz

Busking Oracle
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have an eighth of the talent that both these guy's have, but I didn't like either of the performances, IMO they were both far too wooden! Do you recon the piano player went to the "Bobby Crush" school of pianistry! :)))

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom