support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What Do You Record With?

Ponce Julius

I'm in the market for a relatively inexpensive multi-track recorder so that I can lay down some of this music that's running around in my head. So, I wanted to know Cafe Sax...What do you record with?:gathering:

Hi,

There are two routes, one is to get a standalone multitrack recorder, and the other is to use your computer, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you want to try recording, I'd suggest going with the computer option, most computers have the oomph to handle recording these days. For the software, I'd suggest downloading a copy of Audacity (which is free) from the web. If you own a mac then you probably have GarageBand, which would be a lot more satisfying to use.

A microphone, microphone stand and set of headphones will also be needed.

Jason has just put up a great recording, and he discusses his set up in this thread: Summertime

Best wishes,

Chris

I'm currently using a Zoom H1. Mine's developed the dreaded battery drain issue. Will be sending it in to the distributor for exchange.

I'm currently looking at the Tascam DR-05, about the same price, and reviews indicate it as much better built and has extra features for about the same price.

In a month or so, I will be getting a usb audio interface (Mackie Onyx Blackjack) and a mic (undecided... so many choices) for recording.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zoom H2 running into my laptop.. very basic but works extremely well in conjunction with Audacity or Reaper.... I like to Keep things fairly simple when it comes to technology....

Probably not what you're after, but we record with:
Audient preamp; AEA ribbon preamp
Focusrite saffire pro interface
Logic 9
Various microphones, at the moment my favourite is a Royer 121 ribbon microphone. Of all microphones we have tried, the ribbons are the most natural sounding ones (but also very sensitive and tricky to get the sound right)
Juju

Hey Juju! That's very impressive! Yeah, that may be a little more than what I'm looking for at this present moment but I appreciate you sharing that. Im going look up the equipment you mentioned here for future reference! Thanks

Zoom H2 is an excellent bit of kit. I even use it for recording in noisy clubs. Checkout 'Your sound clips', pages 4 & 5 ref. Graftonite B5 Pt1 on page 4 & Pt2 on page 5. This is a very noisy club and it's recorded from a distance of 3 Mtrs. in front of the band.

John.

I'm currently using a Zoom H1. Mine's developed the dreaded battery drain issue. Will be sending it in to the distributor for exchange.

I'm currently looking at the Tascam DR-05, about the same price, and reviews indicate it as much better built and has extra features for about the same price.

In a month or so, I will be getting a usb audio interface (Mackie Onyx Blackjack) and a mic (undecided... so many choices) for recording.
Hi Gallen,
When did you actually buy the H1 Zoom? looking through all the thread's on it the newer one's or replacements seem to be keeping the charge, might have been a bad batch? What do you think?
Rob.

@Compound: I bought it in February this year off Amazon uk. It has been working great till about a month plus ago, when it started the battery drain randomly. Got an email from the uk distributor, now waiting for instructions. Possible I got a bad batch, hopefully it's all that is :)

Thank's Gallen, I ordered one about a week ago, but they were out of stock, i'm due to pick it up on Monday. This was before i read your post, i'll be sure to mention the problem's people are having just in case their unaware of it, and in case i get a duff one.
Thank's for your help, Rob.

If you are combining the roles of recording engineer and musician, then get a multitrack recorder that will allow you to punch-in using a footswitch. Consider the situation - you've done a perfect take apart from that little squeak in the second chorus. If you have to start recording by clicking a mouse, then there probably won't be time to put down the mouse and find the correct placing for your fingers on the saxophone, so you end up having to do the whole take again from the beginning to get it right.

For demos and the like I generally use my Zoom 1608 - up to 8 tracks of simultanious recording and 16 track playback with 10 virtual tracks per track. It records on an 80Gb hard disk and has all sorts of lovely features (including, of course, foot-switch punch-in). No longer made but if you can find one on eBay I can recommend it because the later Zoom multitracks are annoying in having useful features missing.

It sounds like overkill to use an 8/16 for self-op demos but it can reduce the time it takes because, for example, the drum and percussion stuff can be split across separate tracks, all played separately.

Heres an example of how I recorded the tracks for a recent demo (it starts in Dm and has 3 key changes):
1. Guitar
2. Bass guitar
3. Keyboard
4. Kick drum
5. Snare drum
6. Hand Claps
7. Cymbal crashes on 7V2 (metronome on 7V1, not needed once voice count-in and kick drum recorded)
8. Main vocal
9/10. Double-track vocal
11/12. Tenor sax (for Dm verse/chorus) C mel sax (for Em verse/chorus)
13/14. Alto sax (for Ebm verse/chorus) tenor sax (for Fm verse/chorus)

(yes, you probably spotted that other bit of 'cheating' - because I'm not very proficient in playing in all keys on one saxophone I change saxophones to make the fingering easier and to get the demo done quicker)

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all
I use H4n with cubase for recording. Now looking to use the xlr input for use of condenser mic (not sure what though) maybe rode Nt1a or AKG 1000s mk3, choices are huge but I want a warm rich sound that is also fairly neutral if that is possible for tenor sax.

...I'm probably going to save up for a NT2-A thanks to the 2nd thread :)

The Rode NT2a is a solid microphone and has the flexibility of the three polar patterns a low frequency roll off and switchable attenuation. However, if you are most likely to use it set to its cardioid polar pattern, and don't need the other two features, then you might might want to look at something else as you'd be able to save yourself a little bit. Especially when you consider the NT2a does not come with an elastic suspension mount.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic mic and I'd think you'd be very happy with it, I am certainly very satisfied with mine.

Microphones are interesting things and I can see why producers and musicians end up with a lot of them. For example, I sometimes wonder if the NT2a is a little too 'HiFi', and then I dig out a Shure dynamic mic and that lends its own colour the the mix.

I'd love to try a ribbon microphone like Juju's Royer 121 ribbon microphone, although the 122 might be a little kinder to a home set-up, other wise you need a very, very good mic Pre amp. Ribbon mics, as I understand it, generally don't capture the high frequency that a condenser mic can and are so similar to a dynamic mic, but the diaphragm is so light that it's closer to a condenser mic in it's quick response - so you get another tonal flavour!

If I were looking to add another mic, which I'm not, (honest), I think it would be interesting to look at the Rode Procaster, it's a large-capsule dynamic mic!

Sorry for the rambling,

Chris

Yes Chris, you'll need a good pre-amp, the audient wasn't too bad but now we have a special ribbon pre amp which brings out even more detail. I'm not sure about condenser mics plus saxophone anymore - our U87 sounds like a chainsaw by comparison. It's fantastic on double bass, though..
Juju

Yes Chris, you'll need a good pre-amp, the audient wasn't too bad but now we have a special ribbon pre amp which brings out even more detail. I'm not sure about condenser mics plus saxophone anymore - our U87 sounds like a chainsaw by comparison. It's fantastic on double bass, though..
Juju

Hi Juju,

Do you take any precautions when using the Royer against blasts of air?

Enviously yours,

Chris

Chris, thanks for the info! Got to check out that podcaster.

Re: NT2-a linked in your post seems to come with the SM6 Shock mount and Pop Filter - is this equivalent to a suspension mount?

Hi Gallen,

They've changed it, when I got mine they came with just a stand adapter and soft case. Looks like they now set you up with all you need, mic, suspension mount and cable. I guess they needed to create a package to compete, which is great, you get a decent mic and don't need to fork out the other £50 for the shock mount.

Oh, and it's the Procaster not the podcaster, even though they look similar they are quite different, and it might not be idea for the sax. I'm just curious to hear what a large-capsule dynamic mic sounds like.

Best wishes,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom