All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

What do you guys do with your music experience?

Hey. I'm trying to get to know people better. The idea of the question is, when you have musical experience, what's a big thing you do with it? That's really it. Thanks.

Christian.

Fraser Jarvis

Strange haw nobody has made an attempt to answer this, but i guess the bottom line of "when you have musical experience and what you do with it" would be.... to show off!?

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
On the non-sax side, I regularly perform in concerts which people pay money to attend. In the next couple of months or so, my big choir ran a big 'come and sing' day two weeks ago and is giving a concert in Chester cathedral soon. The chamber choir has a concert in a local church in the run-up to Easter and we will be singing services at a couple of cathedrals later in the year. The next orchestra (cello and sax) concert is not for a few months. I sing on an ad-hoc basis with another chamber choir and I'll be singing at St. Alban's in April.

I hope to join a wind band / big band so that he sax gets more airing.

EDIT
Should have added a couple of things...

I sang as part of the "chorus" for a couple of short operas that where commissioned by BBC2. There were several and they were all spoofs of various sorts written by Richard Thomas of "Jerry Springer the Opera" fame (e.g. sending up Question Time and The Apprentice). That was in interesting weekend in a film studio...more info here.

I also sang Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony at the Proms at the RAH (audience 6,000) and that was broadcast live on R3 and BBC4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several thoughts of what I would do. One being, after some more years of playing, to become a sax teacher. If that counts as something.

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Subscriber
I've had some great fun playing music (so far all guitar related, but I'm sure the sax will come on in time). I've played with some great people, some famous, most not. I've recorded, I've played to full sell out concerts, down to practically empty rooms. I get together regularly with my friends to practice, and we manage to gig when we want to. My daughter thinks I'm a rock star, but she'll grow out of it :D I am nowhere near good enough to teach anyone, hats of to those than can.

My absolute biggest thrill, head and shoulders above everything else, has always been sitting down by myself with my guitar (or sax now), and just noodling. Just listening to the music. That's why I started, and that's why I continue. I have no pretensions of ever being any good at it, but I've never seen music as a competition and so I'm happy :thumb:

trimmy

One day i will...
My absolute biggest thrill, head and shoulders above everything else, has always been sitting down by myself with my guitar (or sax now), and just noodling. Just listening to the music. That's why I started, and that's why I continue. I have no pretensions of ever being any good at it, but I've never seen music as a competition and so I'm happy :thumb:
Agreed with the 1st part of your reply about noodling, love doing that even though a lot of coming out ain't that good but occasionally something good does come out of my sax and boy does it feel good. :)
But the 2nd part i have to disagree with a bit, i do want to get good at playing whether i reach that goal....who knows.

Just had our itinerary for the coming year, looking forward to it :D
http://www.maghullwindorchestra.co.uk/concerts.html

TimboSax

Subscriber
But the 2nd part i have to disagree with a bit, i do want to get good at playing whether i reach that goal....who knows.

Just had our itinerary for the coming year, looking forward to it :D
http://www.maghullwindorchestra.co.uk/concerts.html
I hear what you're saying, and don't necessarily disagree. Suppose it partly depends on your definition of "good". I can play well enough, but there's plenty I can't do - and that balance has completely shifted back to the beginning again with the sax :D

I'll try and come and see you play some time in the summer when I come up to visit my folks in Southport, it looks great!

We can only strive for perfection. There's always something we can work on with playing the sax. That's my definition of good, to keep working at it.

TimboSax

Subscriber
That's as good a definiton as any. Perfection's not for me, but if it works for you then go for it :thumb:

Strobe

Christian thank you for the questions. I poured myself a hot cup of coffee, and while tasting, sipping, drinking, I cogitated. The world of music is huge and diverse. The first thing is to decide what you want to experience. Then you find the people that can help you achieve what you think you want. And you go from there...from experience to experience...from goal to goal...it never ends...
In my case, I learned my way around the saxophone in school. It meant little to me then. It was just another subject. The most I can say about that experience is that I enjoyed it, just as I enjoyed playing football, learning latin and history. Achieving. While at college in America in the 60's, I was introduced to the jazz avant garde and decided that I must become an artist in my own right. The story goes on and on...the music never stops...forty-five years later I'm talking to you, teaching young and old, performing, playing with disadvantaged people, establishing a music academy in Zambia. For me, it's all about the people I meet who I can help and who help me.
Something like that!
Respect

jbtsax

Subscriber
When I was given the "gift" of playing and enjoying music at age 10, it literally changed my life. What I chose to do with that experience was to try to pass it on to others by becoming a music teacher.

Ruby

I play in a couple of bands, write, record (not professional, and I dont make a load of money, just doing it because we want to). In the bands, the set tends to be the same a lot of the time with not a huge amount of room for improv and strung out solos, so I play a lot by myself too to play some other stuff - play along to backing tracks or with CDs. Just started going to some jam sessions which is great fun. Off to Norway in April for 2 weeks playing on a cruise ship. And I've got a day job too - in an office in a care home for disabled people. Monday morning is music session time so I help out, have fun, join in and watch some people do amazing things making their own music in their own way. Those sessions are just magic. It's making me smile just thinking about it.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I play in 5 different wind bands, none are paid.
Some of the best moments we have are when playing at charity events, or for care homes for elderly people. Their feedback is priceless, just to see in their eyes that they have really enjoyed what you did.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Seems there are various interpretations to this question with interpretations ranging from: what have you done, what do you want to do, do you use it to make money, will you be passing it to others, etc. So here's another view.

I've always thought of music like a quest, and will probably always take in much more than I give back in any form. The more I "get" the more I understand and want. I think this is fairly basic and true for many who are really listening to music, as they seem to want to find the newest or next thing either by their favourite musician/group, or a new sound. Unfortunately many stop after a while and "imprint" on a specific style that is/was popular in their teen or young adult years. Their quest has ended and it seems that nothing that comes along after that could be as good as...(name your decade or style).

Guess I'm selfish at heart just wanting to continue to take in and experience as much as possible and occasionally try to (in my own small way) add to that diversity. Sax sites are (for me) often very uncomfortable places as there is a very large contingent who are extremely stuck in an era that's never been their own, but have been somehow convinced that sax playing (stylistically) started and stopped in the 1950s and 60s. Reminds me of a supposedly true story of the USA patent office considering closing in the late 19th century because "everything had already been invented". Yes everything moves forward, with or without us.

Long way around to say I use my experience to build on, keep in the present, take in what I can, give back what I can, and move into the future.

jrintaha

I write music all the time, and pick up new instruments to get new ideas. Conversely, I learn different instruments in order to be able to play the songs I've written.

I also play the electric bass in a technical thrash metal band, and we gig every now and then. We actually have a gig next week, but I doubt in my current hospitalized state I will be able to play.

There's also the distant hope that some day I might be able to quit my regular work, and make a living with music, playing gigs and session work, teaching, repairing instruments, buying and selling, I don't care as long as it's music.

Jazzaferri

Hmmm....share some great moments with fellow musicians ... Communicate (hopefully) some inner thoughts to others....get the music out of my head by writing it down.....make the odd buck.....grow inside

Filton

Have fun. That is what it is all about. My musical interest lies nowadays in being able to sit with some likeminded friends and just play - whatever comes to mind.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom