support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What do you do then?

I work at the medicines regulator, the MHRA, in Inspections, Enforcement and Standards
Gigs - not for years, I just play for fun these days
Teaching - Again, not for a while
Hobbies - motorbikes, astronomy, history, food and drink, photography

Trying to learn sax..Day job work shifts in aerospace industry...weight training...martial arts for 40 yrs...running,have done 8 marathons....adding to my cd collection....northern soul at weekends...very rare watch tvmost of it is crap,but did enjoy Blues brothers other day.Bumnote.

Ex academic - teaching computer science, then manager in the computer industry; now semi-retired. Nowadays I do freelance mobile app development.
I have been a keen amateur musician all my life - mostly singing, then bassoon and recently saxophone.
I do "concerts" (not gigs) playing bassoon with amateur symphony orchestra.
Gigs playing bari sax in a big band.
Keen potter.

Last edited:
  • Day job - computer systems development, now semi-retired and working a 2 day week.
  • Gigs (Pro or otherwise) - Strictly amateur. Once a month at Symphony Hall with The Notebenders plus occasional other gigs, Just joined another wind band and they have 2 or 3 gigs coming up.
  • Teaching - not me I don't know enough and probably wouldn't have the temperament.
  • Hobbies - playing and watching cricket (this will be my last season playing though), gardening (when it's not cold and pissing down).
  • Etc... Going to gigs (Brit Floyd last month and 10CC next), TV, crosswords, trying to learn a bit more music theory.

Mind you I also find washing up to be a good aphrodisiac, but maybe we shouldn't go there.

That's a thread in it's own right :)

1. Head of Finance for one of the largest UK Hospices (full time) Mod here (nearly full spare time)
2. Only amateur orchestra performances
3. Training accountants :)
4. Sax is my biggest hobby, love the Café Octet, am enjoying attending concerts with Café friends and on my own and generally exploring new music. Aside from that I Iike to read, travel, cook and have fun.
5. Not found washing up by me or anyone else an aphrodisiac........must be missing something, is it the bubbles!!!

Jx

Last edited by a moderator:
'resting' Advertising Art Director (probably retired come to think of it)

only as a punter. never played one in my life.

used to mentor art students/apprentices

trying to play the saxophone, drinking, ski-ing, cooking, dropping off kids, picking up kids, attending kids classical concerts, collecting art, ordering too much from amazon, running, chopping logs, jazz vinyl, climbing big mountains in silly places, digging the wife's allotment ;-)

Job, IT manager, hobbies woodwork, used to hike a lot, used to build model aeroplanes, have a model boat to sort out. Fixing saxes, driving the kids around. Moderating takes a lot of time. And now... playing a little and murdering the horn parts in an amateur orchestra.

Work, I own or part own a few companies mostly in the IT world, some make me money, some made me money a few years ago, some might make me some money in the future, some won't...but they do fun things, or employ people who are fun.

Gigs...I doubt very much that I will ever play my saxophone away from my house. The idea of joining a small jazz combo, like you see in old films sort of appeals, but sadly even were I to get good enough, which yeah I know is just time, then I would probably not be able to commit the time necessary to it. Work and other hobbies, see below would make a regular commitment not feasible.

Hobbies: Following on from above, sadly these just don't go well with playing the Sax...

SCUBA diving: usually after diving, I'm quite deaf for a few days.
Climbing: I've broken many bones...wrist, ribs, pelvis, fractured my skull...doesn't sit well with playing.
Snowboarding: Broken wrist and collar bone...see above

Last edited:
  • Look for a job
  • Practice playing sax and/or muse with sax repairs/repads, mouthpieces, reeds...
  • I'm not a teacher at any rate, but I don't mind sharing what I know. I even enjoy sharing what I know...
  • I've had many hobbies (Surfing, Sailing, DIYing, Golfing, Cooking) but what gets most of my attention lately is a curiously mostly 'J' bent horn.
  • Oops! I also have a family that I need to look after... :oops:

Washing up listed as a hobby? Sheesh! I miss the bike forum. Not many washed up or down or at all there. In fact when a brawl broke out at a meet, the moderators threw in a bar of soap and it quickly dissipated.

Back
Top Bottom