All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

What do they mean when they say,1st tenor sax in band?

BUMNOTE

Hi sorry to repeat myself,have asked this before cant remember or find answer,too many kicks and punches to head from kickboxing:shocked:...if you are asked to play 1st tenor or second,what do they mean:confused:.Thanks Bumnote.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
1st tenor part (in a big band say) is the lead part and is usually harder to play than 2nd tenor.

BUMNOTE

Thanks Nick,been told there mey be a place in a band,might be out my depth,mainly play alto and never having played with anyone before?!But if you never have a go,you never know:confused:.Thanks Bumnote.

saxnik

Nick's right, but 'harder' is a relative thing. You may find both 1st and 2nd are too hard or too easy. But then the next piece in the playlist will be different!
From an arranger's point of view 1st is usually just higher than 2nd in terms of the harmony notes played.

Oh, and Thomsax is right too - go for it!

Nick

zebrafoot

I would agree you should go for it if you get the opportunity to play with a group and you haven't done so before. It may stretch you, but that's a good thing, plus it's good skill to learn to listen to others and fit in to the mix.

Good luck and have fun!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom