Recording What do I need

Ballymenaboy

I have started to improvise over cd tracks and wanted to make a recording combining both cd /MP3 track and my live improvisation - using my camera currently on video to do this but not surprisingly not a great sound - what kit and software do I need to achieve this please-I apologise if this to some seems like a silly question

I have a Shure microphone and lead

randulo

18 months of alto
Subscriber
Not a silly question at all, but it has been fairly extensively discussed in various posts. Glad to help if you can say what you already have (other than the Shure mic, which isn't bad)? Have a laptop or desktop? You will probably need at least an inexpensive adapter for the mic cable intoo something.
And budget, in general.
Recording at the higher level would be software (called DAW, Digital Audio Workstation), or simpler free software like Audacity. But it needs to run on a computer, PC Windows, Mac or Linux. Some use iPads to advantage.

See also: Recording - Recording on the cheap and Electronics & Recording
That second one reveals a ton of stuff I hadn't even see!

Mike James

I have started to improvise over cd tracks and wanted to make a recording combining both cd /MP3 track and my live improvisation - using my camera currently on video to do this but not surprisingly not a great sound - what kit and software do I need to achieve this please-I apologise if this to some seems like a silly question

I have a Shure microphone and lead
Have a look at...

Regards, mike.

OP
B

Ballymenaboy

Not a silly question at all, but it has been fairly extensively discussed in various posts. Glad to help if you can say what you already have (other than the Shure mic, which isn't bad)? Have a laptop or desktop? You will probably need at least an inexpensive adapter for the mic cable intoo something.
And budget, in general.
Recording at the higher level would be software (called DAW, Digital Audio Workstation), or simpler free software like Audacity. But it needs to run on a computer, PC Windows, Mac or Linux. Some use iPads to advantage.

See also: Recording - Recording on the cheap and Electronics & Recording
That second one reveals a ton of stuff I hadn't even see!
Thank you for your reply -should have looked to see where this has been covered before using laptop with Windows 10 also use Ipad but not a lot of beef on the ipad - will now read other threads on this and undoubtedly come back with more questions

randulo

18 months of alto
Subscriber
Thank you for your reply -should have looked to see where this has been covered
No worries, I didn't mean that as a "Search First!", I hate when people do that. There's way more here than meets the eye. In fact, if you find value, you start to read posts on topics that aren't necessarily interesting to you because they often contain tidbits of useful info.

So Windows, you've the excellent and absolutely free Audacity which is easy to use.

I think there are many apps for the iPad but I haven't checked them out. There is a Peter Erskine play along that allows you to mix his tracks and play over the backing tracks that's pretty good. Another piece of software is iReal Pro that can generate backing tracks to play over.

There are also discussions and guides for doing what you want to do with Audacity, here are a few:

BigMartin

So Windows, you've the excellent and absolutely free Audacity which is easy to use.
I know lots of people here use Audacity but I really didn't like it (eg the fact that you can't adjust affect settings on the fly, at least you couldn't then). ReaPer is, IMO much nicer to use, quite cheap and has a fully functional free trial period.
I think there are many apps for the iPad but I haven't checked them out.
GarageBand is free and will do what you need, though less feature-packed than Reaper. I use it quite a lot for quick recordings using the built-in mic (though I often end up remixing them in Reaper)

randulo

18 months of alto
Subscriber
I think Reaper is great but I have no experience with it, so I wasn't sure how easy it is to use. I think that varies with the person, because Audacity seemd very intuitive to me. I do,'t use it for overdubbing, though, I use Logic which is pricey, but powerful.

Ne0Wolf7

I've been using audacity, but when Mikey James put that link to Bandlab I gave it a shot. I like it, though it seems less powerful and lacks my favorite feature of audacity, which was noise reduction (you can use noise gate instead, which filters based off of volume). Its presets also seem inferior to those of audacity, but that's just an opinion, and not a very informed one at that. However, I have a thing for online tools, so I'll probably keep using it. Gives me one less reason to be apprehensive about potentially buying a Chromebook, too.

Top Bottom