support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What container do you soak your reeds in?

unlinkedstudent

Hubby complained (tuts - typical male) that he didn't like my reeds left soaking on the window cill in my Kenco freebie coffee cup. Several weeks have gone by when I saw a BOGOF Doritos and dips promotion in the local Grotescos.

Naturally, one has cleaned said likkle Doritos' Salsa Dip (Mild) jar thoroughly and whacked in some water, teeny bit of mouthwash and whacked in two reeds; screwed the lid and left them on said window cill where hubby can't knock them over.

So, what container do you lot use to soak your reeds in?;}

Is this a new recipe? lol. When new i do tend to soak them and press along the grain ( as per Alexander Web site ) but then when i'm playing they normally get shoved in my gob for 30 secs, wiped off, then onto the MP. Surely it it expand the reed fibre if you levae them in??
Would be interested in hearing what others say. Phil

Hubby complained (tuts - typical male) that he didn't like my reeds left soaking on the window cill in my Kenco freebie coffee cup. Several weeks have gone by when I saw a BOGOF Doritos and dips promotion in the local Grotescos.

Naturally, one has cleaned said likkle Doritos' Salsa Dip (Mild) jar thoroughly and whacked in some water, teeny bit of mouthwash and whacked in two reeds; screwed the lid and left them on said window cill where hubby can't knock them over.

So, what container do you lot use to soak your reeds in?;}

Saxophonists and their reeds!

I tend to soak a new reed, usually in the glass of water I'm currently drinking and then play it. Once finished for the day I put the reed in a reed guard and put it into the sax case. Next time I come to play it I put the reed in my mouth and wet it while setting up.

If you want to try a different approach then David Sanborn might be one to take advice from, he starts to talk about how he preps them at around 2:14. He confesses a little further in that 'it's insane!' But he has a good sense of humour about it.

Best wishes,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Those flpi top metal tins you can get sticking plasters in are good for storing reeds, in combination with a 4 reed clip- just the right size + they've got pirate skulls & crossbones on them which... er.. makes my kids interested in them.. which... is...er ... probably not a good idea anyway... hm..

Those flpi top metal tins you can get sticking plasters in are good for storing reeds, in combination with a 4 reed clip- just the right size + they've got pirate skulls & crossbones on them which... er.. makes my kids interested in them.. which... is...er ... probably not a good idea anyway... hm..

Oooh I want a tin now with pirate skulls and crossbones on - where can I get one?!

i have just watched that whole serious ....seriously great stuff...i do have a question though...in part 4 at around 3.00 mins, he strips his sax down and puts something into one of the keys, at least thats what it looks like....has anyone got any ideas what this is?

Ok, this is very technical so pay attention. :w00t: 1. Remove from the box. 2. Remove the foil packaging (I use Vandoren) not all reeds come in little foil packets. 3. Stick the reed in your mouth, quite far in actually, for about 30 seconds, so you can moisten the whole tip. 4. Attach the now moist reed to your mouthpiece and leave it alone until you bust the ruddy thing! One day, one week, one month, whatever it takes. Next time I go to use the sax, the reed gets a quick lick or two and then the cap goes back on whilst I put the old girl together. Perfect! :mrcool

Ok, this is very technical so pay attention. :w00t: 1. Remove from the box. 2. Remove the foil packaging (I use Vandoren) not all reeds come in little foil packets. 3. Stick the reed in your mouth, quite far in actually, for about 30 seconds, so you can moisten the whole tip. 4. Attach the now moist reed to your mouthpiece and leave it alone until you bust the ruddy thing! One day, one week, one month, whatever it takes. Next time I go to use the sax, the reed gets a quick lick or two and then the cap goes back on whilst I put the old girl together. Perfect! :mrcool

Na, that too technical for me. Can't we have a youtube demo of it like the other bloke?;}

Incidentally, I tend to leave in soak but once one is on, when I do get the chance for a blow (which this week is zilch as hubby works at local airport and has been on blooming standby ...), I do tend to suck it like a thermometer before I attempt to get a note (Aaah, the joys of being a beginner).

I haven't tried Vandoren yet as local music store (a mere 50 mile round trip) only sells Rico and have two 1.5 and one 2.5.

Jokes aside, this thread really asks the question 'How wet should a reed be?'

Like the others I give the reed gets a light wetting, put the sax together and play. I've found that as I play the reed gets softer, until it reaches a point where it's so wet it'll hardly play, at the same time the changes. It's almost as if there's a wall - and it comes to a ded stop.

So, given that you're doing a lot of soaking, and have commented on the difficulty in getting notes, I wonder if you're playing with a sodden reed that's too soft to do the job.

This is a serious topic, and it deserves a considered answer. In fact I rank it in importance with the problem of how to deal with a sticking G# key (i.e. what kind of paper or paper currency should be used?). For best results I use a porcelain saucer made in Switzerland, and I never soak a reed after 8 a.m. After that the ambient air gets too dry. I try to avoid plastic cups.

Jokes aside, this thread really asks the question 'How wet should a reed be?'

Like the others I give the reed gets a light wetting, put the sax together and play. I've found that as I play the reed gets softer, until it reaches a point where it's so wet it'll hardly play, at the same time the changes. It's almost as if there's a wall - and it comes to a ded stop.

So, given that you're doing a lot of soaking, and have commented on the difficulty in getting notes, I wonder if you're playing with a sodden reed that's too soft to do the job.

LOL - I'm having difficulty getting notes as I have the tiniest hands probably in living history and my fingers were on the wrong key PLUS I'm definitely not getting enough practice. I really am a beginner. I should have said that I soak new reeds only overnight and then, and this is weird, I take one out, let it dry out and then do the under tongue in gob like a thermometer bit when I'm going to play it. It then stays on the mouthpiece. However, and again the weird bit, I had considered that due to the fact we have panel heaters and I live up in Shetland (yup, windy and cold), I keep said sax in its case all the time (I've no idea how much seawater in the atmosphere could affect the sax plus I have two Shar Pei) ... stop waffling woman ...

... weird, but like that professional guy, I thought I'd use another jar (namely the other BOGOF Doritos' salsa dip strong but obviously washed out) with just the tiniest drop of water in it. I haven't broken any reeds yet and since I got new mouthpiece, I'm not getting squeaks any more plus I'm not gobbing all over the walls.

You follow me? Good, obviously nobody is dipping their reeds in whisky, gin, brandy, vodka ...

Oooh sorry, meant to say, I will bear in mind about getting reeds too wet and thanks for all the replies peeps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit fanatical about this. I soak all new reeds in water for about 5 - 10 minutes when I get a new box and then play them all gently for a few minutes each, brush them with my thumb on a flat surface then dry. 4 go in my Vandoren Hydroguard case. When I am playing I rotate them each day and soak for about 2 minutes in mouthwash. I use a container commonly used for blood/urine samples. When I've finished playing I dip reed in mouthwash , smooth down reed as above and put back in the case. Commonly they last a good 6 months each, taste nice and aren't done to death by saliva residue!

Kind regards
Tom:cool: