All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs What can be done with a Yamaha 4C alto MP?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Picked up for £2.50. Tip has a couple of tiny chips right on the very end.
Can I have Play with sandpaper to improve, or destroy it?
I wonder if @Phil has tried fettling one?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Sandpaper?
You'll need a flat surface. Some very fine wet and dry paper. 2000 for finishing and a dust mask. Also a willingness to chuck it in the bin when you're covered in dust and it still won't play.
Lots of videos on utube to get you going.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I wonder if @Phil has tried fettling one?

I have a Yamaha 4C that was refaced by Ed Pillinger!
I haven’t a clue why.
It came with a bari sax I bought.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
There is a black 2 part epoxy that costs almost as much as a new mouthpiece that you could fill the chips in with and then file and sand it back to the way it was originally. I have done this to fill in bite marks. On a Yamaha 4C you have to ask yourself if it is worth it.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I have four or five 4C mouthpieces in fine fettle and so this one is expendable.

Vetinari

Café Supporter
Locality
East Manchester
So it will give you a chance to learn mouthpiece modification. You could end up with a 12c if you grind it far enough

Phil

Commercial Supporter
Locality
France
I refaced a 4c once...just because I could. I didnt try to play with chambers or make it sound different. It still sounded like a sleepy 4c. Go for it. If it goes bad its just a cup of coffee.

If it goes well dont think yourself too clever and start working on a really high end piece. When I knew just enough to be dangerous I wrecked an expensive mouthpiece. Years later I knew enough to bring it back from the grave. I ended up selling it to a pro who fell in love with it. It didnt stop me from having felt really stupid whenever I saw the piece for a good while.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
While looking for an alto piece I tried a 7C. Well finished. Very easy blow. Predictable response. Honest tone. Blends well. Loud enough to solo when pushed. Not fussy about reeds at all.
A cheap versatile stepping stone to see how you get on with a bigger tip opening.
I can see why experienced players are unimpressed though.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom